Group: BOTM Winner's Circle
Member No.: 128
BIKE: FLSTF Fat Boy
YEAR: 1992
MILES: 22000

Well, I've decided I am bringing the bike over to the house the end of the week. For the time being I will throw a cover on it. I found what looks to be a decent cover for it on Ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT
I don't want to sink a ton of money on a cover. This seems like a good one for the $. Not a typical $25 Nylon "water resistant". I want it to be waterproof and breatheable and this guy looks like he did his homework. I figure by getting the bike to the house I'll be more motivated to get the shed cleaned up and organized to get it in there! (IMG:http://www.harleyshoptalk.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/bike.gif) Any thoughts??
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Blackcloud
post Jul 5 2011, 11:25 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,370
BIKE: FLHTCUI Ultra Classic Electra Glide EFI
YEAR: 2009
MILES: 20,000
MILES: 50,500

I dunno. It seems like it might be made out of the same stuff RV covers are made of. But regardless of the material, condensation will collect on cool parts when the dew point and temp coincide. The gap where the material almost touches the floor allows for moisture laden air to get inside the cover where the moisture will condense on the cool surfaces of the bike. If there was a way to keep everything under that cover just a little warmer than the air outside the cover, then you'd have a nice dry, condensation free bike. Oh, perhaps putting a light bulb under there. But then you'd have a fire hazard (maybe).

+Quote Post
zip
post Jul 5 2011, 12:10 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 23
BIKE: FXDL Dyna Low Rider
YEAR: 2005
MILES: - 30

QUOTE(Blackcloud @ Jul 5 2011, 12:25 PM) *
I dunno. It seems like it might be made out of the same stuff RV covers are made of. But regardless of the material, condensation will collect on cool parts when the dew point and temp coincide. The gap where the material almost touches the floor allows for moisture laden air to get inside the cover where the moisture will condense on the cool surfaces of the bike. If there was a way to keep everything under that cover just a little warmer than the air outside the cover, then you'd have a nice dry, condensation free bike. Oh, perhaps putting a light bulb under there. But then you'd have a fire hazard (maybe).

That is WAY too technical for me...mah head is spinning! (IMG:http://www.harleyshoptalk.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/hysterical.gif)

+Quote Post
Bigbits
post Jul 5 2011, 02:53 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 222
BIKE: FLSTS Heritage Springer
YEAR: 2000
MILES: 50000

Get out there and tidy the shed. When the bike's in the shed, throw the cover over it. It's a much better option than a cover outside.

+Quote Post
92Flstf
post Jul 5 2011, 03:02 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

Trust me it needs a bit more that "tidying" LOL! I need to pull everything out and start from scratch. I got it half cleaned out when I got it last summer so I could bring my tool chest over and get it in there. I have to take the factory wheels from the SVO and have the tires broke down from them and that will make more room. I'm actually going to clean them up really good (for now, til I polish them like I the the FB wheels) and store them in the spare room closet where I have other parts I've been aquiring for it. I also have the rubber shopfloor mats that snap together for the floor of the shed too.
I'm going to have it parked on the driveway at least. It won't be long term by any means. With the limited time I have with school, I can tackle the stuff a little at a time too. But this way I won't have to drive to my Mom's place and get it out. Plus if it rained anytime soon it may not get out of their backyard... This will give me opportunity to get it serviced and all too. I did do the lightbulb trick when I lived in WV when i had a garage for it. Big temperature swings at the winter/spring and fall/winter change actually had the floor in the garage getting condensation on it....

This post has been edited by 92Flstf: Jul 5 2011, 03:05 PM

+Quote Post
92Flstf
post Jul 6 2011, 09:39 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Well got to looking in the shed after school today. It's not going to be too bad. I kept that side of the shed loaded light because the roof leaks. I sealed them a couple of months ago til i can redo the roof. I'm going to use the car cover from the SVO for the time being. Where the bike will be sitting outside sees sun a good part of the day, so if it does get wet/damp, I can pull the cover and lay it on the SVO for a while so they can both dry out. Hopefully I'm going to go bring it home Friday. And tinker all weekend.

+Quote Post
92Flstf
post Jul 9 2011, 03:25 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

Well, plans went to shit to bring it here... Friday weather was shit. So I go over today, the fuckin' GFI to the shed was tripped(from rain/dampness, as it doesn't have an "in use" type of cover on it)... Meaning the battery was dead.... Dunno how long the GFI was tripped. So I pulled it out of the shed and got it up on the RED Craftsman lift. Popped the seat and put the charger on it on boost while I thinkered in the HOT ASS sun. I forgot my step-dad had the neighbors mulberry tree cut down. WOW it was hot with out it, but I dont miss the mess from it and the bird shit... I got fresh gas in it, got it to run for a little while, but I don't think the battery had enough ass in it yet. So I left it on the charger @ 2 amps instead of the tender. I'll check it out real quick and see if it's charging while running when I go back this evening before we go out to see my buddys band play.

This post has been edited by 92Flstf: Jul 9 2011, 03:26 PM

+Quote Post
Blackcloud
post Jul 10 2011, 09:55 AM
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,370
BIKE: FLHTCUI Ultra Classic Electra Glide EFI
YEAR: 2009
MILES: 20,000
MILES: 50,500

What kind of charger are you using? 2 amps seems high for a motorcycle.

+Quote Post
92Flstf
post Jul 10 2011, 02:30 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

This was a regular 12v. I left it on for the night. Went back today(more on this in another post). The tender i have is a 1.5 amp.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2017 - 04:39 PM
Harley Shop Talk Established 05/05/05
Painting By: Dave Barnhouse / Hadley House Publishing, All Rights Reserved
HARLEY SHOP TALK IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH HARLEY-DAVIDSON®, INC.
HARLEY SHOP TALK: IF WE AIN'T TALKIN' HARLEYS, WE'RE TALKIN' $#*%!