HARLEY SHOP TALK

Often Imitated, Never Duplicated

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Which Harley for LONG rides?, Stay in the saddle the longest?
controlu
post Jul 19 2014, 07:53 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,007
BIKE: FLSTC Heritage Classic
YEAR: 2003
MILES: 43,000
MILES: 44,000

I just finished a 3190 mi. trip up the east coast and back on a '03 Heritage. One conclusion, I need a softer ride. So, it's time to move up to the touring class but which one? I like the looks of the Street Glide, the Ultra Classic looks like a good fit because of the travel packs etc., but when you get right down to it, aren't they all on the same frame/suspension? So, wouldn't the riding comfort level be the same on all of the touring class models? I'm not all that excited about the hard packs cause I can load up a travel bag. I ride single all the time so I'm interested in rider comfort only.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Blackcloud
post Jul 19 2014, 08:12 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: BOTM Winner's Circle
Member No.: 1,370
BIKE: FLHTCUI Ultra Classic Electra Glide EFI
YEAR: 2009
MILES: 20,000
MILES: 50,500

The riding comfort level is not the same even though they are on the same frame and suspension.
The Ultras have lower fairings (storage and airflow difference).
The RoadGlide's upper fairing is fixed to the frame not the handlebars. Very many prefer that.
The streeglide sits lower to the ground (a bit).
As you mentioned, some have more storage than others.
Various seats are available for all bikes. Perhaps all you need is a different seat.
For long rides, I have found relief by using seat beads. Especially when its hot, the beads allow a little airflow under you (a little).

+Quote Post
EZGlider
post Jul 19 2014, 09:35 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 29
BIKE: FLTRI Road Glide EFI
YEAR: 2006
MILES: 25,000+
BIKE: FXDWG Dyna Wide Glide
YEAR: 2004
MILES: Gone but not forgotten

IMHO, Roadglide for comfort and handling, hands down! It is the model, according to a survey I read somewhere, owned by more Harley mechanics than any other. Maybe because they are NOT the popular model used and can be bought as trades for less? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif)

+Quote Post
controlu
post Jul 19 2014, 06:47 PM
Post #4

I've got a Mustang seat, the widest one they make, with a backrest. (The backrest is the only way to go.)
I did 833 miles in one day and at the end of that I'da done some strange and wonderful things for a new bike.

This post has been edited by controlu: Jul 19 2014, 06:49 PM

+Quote Post
Fgowi
post Jul 19 2014, 10:09 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,095
BIKE: FLTRSEI Screamin Eagle Road Glide
YEAR: 2001
MILES: 70,000
BIKE: ***** BAGGERS *****
YEAR: 1111
MILES: 1

Another two votes (we own two of 'em) for da Roadie. Although firm is good in a seat, I think Mustangs are unreal hard. Corbin? Perfect. But, obviously, if you like it, fantastic.

+Quote Post
Scotto
post Jul 20 2014, 08:23 AM
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 323
BIKE: XL1200R 1200 Roadster
YEAR: 2008
MILES: 50

I think the Roadglide was the best bike in the lineup but for some reason they are not making them this year. I felt more confident in the handling of my Roadglide than I did in the handling of my Sportster.

+Quote Post
LoudnProud
post Jul 20 2014, 12:41 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 31
BIKE: FLSTCI Heritage Classic EFI
MILES: 100100

Road Glide.... IMHO and if you ride solo all the time you should check out the Road Glide Customs....

I'm sure they'll bring the Road Glide back in a couple of years anyway...

btw, You sure got a Great Looking Heritage... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/whistling.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
wholehog
post Jul 20 2014, 06:23 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 4

why you think the call then Road KINGS?

+Quote Post
Scotto
post Jul 20 2014, 06:44 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

Member No.: 323
BIKE: XL1200R 1200 Roadster
YEAR: 2008
MILES: 50

I think the Road King would be my second choice. I am not a fan of the Batwing fairing and the king is a great bike.

+Quote Post
Night Rider
post Jul 21 2014, 08:29 AM
Post #10

Group Icon

Member No.: 989
BIKE: FLHT Electra Glide Standard
YEAR: 2005
MILES: 50000

spend the $100 at the stealership for on of those HD gel seat pads

It made a difference for my VRod on longer trips ...

Most cost-effective option before you throw money at a new scooter ...

As far as BlackCloud use for anal beads ... I guess it is a preference thing ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/whistling.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/whistling.gif)

+Quote Post
Buck
post Jul 21 2014, 10:12 AM
Post #11

Group Icon

Member No.: 55
BIKE: FLHRCI Road King Classic EFI
MILES: 63000

The problem with the Softails is not the seat or the suspension, but the riding position. This is why so many claim you do not sit "on" a softatil, but you sit "in" them. The laid back position puts more weight on your tailbone. While this position feels more comfortable to most when first sitting on the bike, it puts your weight on a contact spot with less meat on it. It also allows for less repositioning than the more upright riding position on touring and Dyna models. Thus being on a bony part of your ass for a longer period of time makes for a sore ass. Since the suspension, riding position and seats are virtually the same for all touring models, whether it's a RK or a UC, how they feel on your ass will be the same. Of my Harleys....the old Dyna with it's long travel suspension and the more aggressive shock position, gives a better ride than my RK. Much of this depends on your build, and your weight and the same is not true for everyone. We have ridden with many a Softail rider that whined less about their sore ass than us after a long day in the saddle.

+Quote Post
LoudnProud
post Jul 21 2014, 06:08 PM
Post #12

Group Icon

Hard to tell from your pic but it looks like you already have highway pegs on your engine guard....

That and more frequent stops (don't wait until you're feeling tired) have made my riding experience great on my Softail...

The Heritage is after all "Chariot of the Gods"... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Bamsambo
post Jul 21 2014, 07:06 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

Member No.: 65
BIKE: FLHRS Road King Custom
MILES: 48Years

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/stupid.gif) Unless you just have a craving, and the money, I'd just put a Mustang Solo on that Softail and ride it.

+Quote Post
Blackcloud
post Jul 21 2014, 07:34 PM
Post #14

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,370
BIKE: FLHTCUI Ultra Classic Electra Glide EFI
YEAR: 2009
MILES: 20,000
MILES: 50,500

QUOTE(Night Rider @ Jul 21 2014, 08:29 AM) *
As far as BlackCloud use for anal beads ... I guess it is a preference thing ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/whistling.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/whistling.gif)
That reminds me, are you gonna want those back?

QUOTE(Buck @ Jul 21 2014, 10:12 AM) *
While this position feels more comfortable to most when first sitting on the bike, it puts your weight on a contact spot with less meat on it. .... Thus being on a bony part of your ass for a longer period of time makes for a sore ass.
In my case, the whole thing is bony with less meat on it. That's why I gotta have a cushy seat and that mat of beads.

+Quote Post
Ordy
post Jul 22 2014, 06:34 AM
Post #15

Group Icon

Member No.: 24
BIKE: FLHTI Electra Glide Standard EFI
MILES: 22,400
BIKE: FLHTI Electra Glide Standard EFI
MILES: 22,400

El estúpido, me!, ran out and bought a custom seat for my Deuce the week I bought her; way back in '03. Custom seats have dick for padding but, when I'm not on it, make the bike look snazzy.

Decided to ride the thing to Tennessee. Forgot to mention I also moved the front pegs forward two or three inches and had WildOnes drag bars installed. My riding position was stretched. Arms stretched and legs stretched and my ass resting on my coccyx. Even with one of those inflatable seat cushions, that are supposed to make up for movement on my ass's contact points it was painful. Never said anything cause I was already the "butt" of Lou's jokes about my rain suit. But man, never again!!! There is a reason Softail's are called bar hoppers. Of course Mike and Sick, present company excluded, cause those two maniacs ride their soft ails all over creation.

Go with the softer seat and keep the driver back rest. Nice that the Heritage has floor boards too...

ride safe
Ordy

+Quote Post
Jarhead
post Jul 22 2014, 07:32 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 5,524
BIKE: FLHX Street Glide
YEAR: 2015
MILES: Yes

QUOTE(LoudnProud @ Jul 21 2014, 04:08 PM) *
Hard to tell from your pic but it looks like you already have highway pegs on your engine guard....

That and more frequent stops (don't wait until you're feeling tired) have made my riding experience great on my Softail...

The Heritage is after all "Chariot of the Gods"... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I hope I still feel that way after out ride to Illinois, that's a lot of miles in a short time. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/schreck.gif)

This post has been edited by Jarhead: Jul 22 2014, 07:32 AM

+Quote Post
Night Rider
post Jul 22 2014, 08:02 AM
Post #17

Group Icon

Member No.: 989
BIKE: FLHT Electra Glide Standard
YEAR: 2005
MILES: 50000

QUOTE(Jarhead @ Jul 22 2014, 07:32 AM) *
I hope I still feel that way after out ride to Illinois, that's a lot of miles in a short time. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/schreck.gif)

we can stop for breaks when needed ... see y'all at Robert's and Anitas (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

+Quote Post
LoudnProud
post Jul 22 2014, 12:17 PM
Post #18

Group Icon

QUOTE(Jarhead @ Jul 22 2014, 07:32 AM) *

No worries.... You'll just Love it even more.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif)

+Quote Post
controlu
post Jul 23 2014, 06:41 AM
Post #19

Yes, I have the highway pegs and I mounted them low so I could use them in the lower position or put my heal on top of them for a higher stance. I did pretty good for most of the ride but I did 833.5 miles one day and I'll not do that again. Anyway, it looks like changing bikes MIGHT give some more comfort but not enough to justify 10-15 thousand for a decent used Road king/Glide.

+Quote Post
screwball
post Jul 25 2014, 06:44 PM
Post #20

Group Icon

From: Santa Clarita, SoCal & Bullhead City, Az. OFFICIAL 2nd OLDEST MEMBER
Member No.: 306
BIKE: F-series
MILES: TRIKE
BIKE: F-series

Here is my 2 cents worth. I've had a Sportie, several versions of Softails, a Dyna, Electra Glide, and a Trike. All have traveled long distances. First, in my younger years (I'm 69) the Softails and Dyna were fun. The E-Glide was the perfect distance rider. Trike is OK, but the ride is a bit harsh. Couldn't hold the E-Glide up anymore with my shot knees so it was the trike or a rocking chair.

Good Luck, and keep riding!

https://www.youtube.com/user/screwballsteve/videos

+Quote Post
jack6hd
post Jun 13 2015, 05:26 PM
Post #21

Member No.: 7,496
BIKE: FXDL Dyna Low Rider
MILES: 10

I've toured and owned a Road King, Street Glide, and a Road Glide. The Road Glide was best followed closely by the SG. I also toured extensively on a 93 FXDL. It was better than the Road King.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2017 - 04:39 PM
Harley Shop Talk Established 05/05/05
Painting By: Dave Barnhouse / Hadley House Publishing, All Rights Reserved
HARLEY SHOP TALK IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH HARLEY-DAVIDSON®, INC.
HARLEY SHOP TALK: IF WE AIN'T TALKIN' HARLEYS, WE'RE TALKIN' $#*%!