Group: BOTM Winner's Circle
Member No.: 24
BIKE: FLHTI Electra Glide Standard EFI
YEAR: 2006
MILES: 22,400

You guys know how you buy a part and it comes with an instruction sheet? You know how you could go on the HarleyDavidson.com official website, shop for parts, and then check out the instruction sheet that came with that part, and then download the instructions, to keep for future reference on your devices? Right? instruction sheets always came in pdf format on Harley's site, right? Yeah, no more!

Tried to see instructions for several parts and i get a web page error. Continued trying and had a new page, with a new format, come up but it is no longer a pdf downloadable file. It's a web page. Seriously? Instruction sheets for your products you don't want your customers to have on their computers and devices? Petty...

Yeah, I know the wheels of commerce must move forward and it's their property. I would even get if the instructions were included in one of their service manuals but you're not going to find instructions for a tri bar light kit in the service manual. It's just a matter of convenience i guess, having it on my iPad. I have the service manual on my iPad. Oh well...

Ride safe
ORdy

This post has been edited by Ordy: Jul 19 2016, 08:19 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Night Rider
post Jul 19 2016, 11:41 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Member No.: 989
BIKE: FLHT Electra Glide Standard
YEAR: 2005
MILES: 50000

FIGHT THE POWER!!!!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

+Quote Post
Ordy
post Jul 19 2016, 01:51 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

QUOTE(Night Rider @ Jul 19 2016, 12:41 PM) *

Time has been a wastin'
There's no guarantee
Smiler's in the makin'
You have to fight the powers that be

The Isley Brothers. Have it on my R&B playlist.

Ride safe
Ordy

+Quote Post
Jarhead
post Jul 19 2016, 03:49 PM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,524
BIKE: FLHX Street Glide
YEAR: 2015
MILES: Yes

I feel your pain Ordy, greed seems to out way customer support. I have been able to find videos on almost any repair or mod you could dream of posted on the net despite HD being tight ass's

+Quote Post
Ordy
post Jul 19 2016, 08:20 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

QUOTE(Jarhead @ Jul 19 2016, 04:49 PM) *
I feel your pain Ordy, greed seems to out way customer support. I have been able to find videos on almost any repair or mod you could dream of posted on the net despite HD being tight ass's

Yeah Greg, I agree. Youtube, when used by do it yourselfers, is right up there with fire as one of man's greatest inventions... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/whistling.gif)

They come in handy though. Say the part came with five screws of different sizes and you need the part number. I have an app called "Air Sharing" that allows me to store files off the net and with my computers and servers at home. The app allows me to keep stuff on my iPad like my HD 2006 Service Manual in PDF, the service manuals for our Jeep, daughters Bug, and sons Honda Accord. I keep the manuals for all my electronics and all the manuals for all the stuff I have on my bike. I can call them out and read them off my phone or my iPad. I don't have to be connected and I don't have to go searching on the net and hope that the file was not moved. Was convenient.

Ride safe
Ordy

+Quote Post
Blackcloud
post Jul 20 2016, 05:30 AM
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,370
BIKE: FLHTCUI Ultra Classic Electra Glide EFI
YEAR: 2009
MILES: 20,000
MILES: 50,500

I do NOT know why Harley made the change, but I suspect it's a change to XML. We're doing it at work. Something change in the configuration? Just edit that and voilą, new document.
Not sure I'm explaining that well.

The images aren't "in" the document. Neither are the paragraphs. They are compartmented in a database because those images are likely used for more than one thing. What the web page does is "call" the image or paragraph and position it on the page. The advantage is that if there's a change, you only have to change it once(the source image/paragraph in the database). You don't have to change it in every place it appears. The new version will automatically render when the web page is viewed.
Our learning curve at work is a bitch. But once established, this process makes document management/document maintenance a whole lot easier.
However......"we" do our final rendering in PDF so the "customer" can save a file offline because they often don't have hot internet available.

+Quote Post
Ordy
post Jul 20 2016, 05:45 AM
Post #7

Group Icon

QUOTE(Blackcloud @ Jul 20 2016, 06:30 AM) *
I do NOT know why Harley made the change, but I suspect it's a change to XML. We're doing it at work. Something change in the configuration? Just edit that and voilą, new document.
Not sure I'm explaining that well.

The images aren't "in" the document. Neither are the paragraphs. They are compartmented in a database because those images are likely used for more than one thing. What the web page does is "call" the image or paragraph and position it on the page. The advantage is that if there's a change, you only have to change it once(the source image/paragraph in the database). You don't have to change it in every place it appears. The new version will automatically render when the web page is viewed.
Our learning curve at work is a bitch. But once established, this process makes document management/document maintenance a whole lot easier.
However......"we" do our final rendering in PDF so the "customer" can save a file offline because they often don't have hot internet available.

That's what I'm thinking too. In the end it makes perfect sense for HD. Smaller file sizes and easier editing of existing pages.

But you do know what they say BC... A little knowledge is dangerous...LOL. Talking about me here. El Estupido (me again) went back to one of the new pages and tried saving it. It saved as a webarchive. Went back to Safari and tried "export to PDF" and wouldn't you know it? It fucking worked! I converted the page to PDF and it kept most of the formatting. And here I was trashing the good name of HD. For shame! But hey, if 26 years of sobriety has taught me anything it's taught me to own my own shit. With that said, I'm a dick, nothing to see here boys and girls.

Ride safe
Ordy

+Quote Post
Blackcloud
post Jul 20 2016, 09:18 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

QUOTE(Ordy @ Jul 20 2016, 05:45 AM) *
With that said, I'm a dick, nothing to see here boys and girls.

Ride safe
Ordy

I disagree. It's worth the discussion so that others can be aware of it. There's now an extra step for those who wish to save the files. Instead of displaying a PDF, the screen displays a web page which has to be converted to PDF by the customer. Knowing this is helpful. Lessons learned and shared benefit the whole.

By the way, remember when PDFs first came out? I didn't like them. They were a freakin' hassle. They are a LOT better now and are extremely useful. I'm blessed to have Adobe Professional at work. You can do a lot of shit with that program (as long as the document is not protected by the originator from editing).

+Quote Post
wholehog
post Jul 21 2016, 08:30 AM
Post #9

Group Icon

Member No.: 4

what is a good freatured Freeware pdf reader/editor?

+Quote Post
Ordy
post Jul 21 2016, 08:56 AM
Post #10

Group Icon

QUOTE(Blackcloud @ Jul 20 2016, 10:18 PM) *
I disagree. It's worth the discussion so that others can be aware of it. There's now an extra step for those who wish to save the files. Instead of displaying a PDF, the screen displays a web page which has to be converted to PDF by the customer. Knowing this is helpful. Lessons learned and shared benefit the whole.

By the way, remember when PDFs first came out? I didn't like them. They were a freakin' hassle. They are a LOT better now and are extremely useful. I'm blessed to have Adobe Professional at work. You can do a lot of shit with that program (as long as the document is not protected by the originator from editing).

I have it on one of my Mac's. Come's in handy every now and then. Going to be sad when Apple's OS makes it obsolete. Don't like the new Cloud based apps that Adobe is hawking. Call me old school in that respect.

Lou: don't know on any free apps that will allow you to edit PDF files. Always used Acrobat Professional. If you're constantly editing PDF's it's worth the money. Don't know about the new Cloud based app but I'm sure you can find an old copy for peanuts on eBay.

Ride safe
Ordy

+Quote Post
Blackcloud
post Jul 21 2016, 07:01 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

I dunno Lou. I never used a free one. I once had Nuance, but that cost quite a bit.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th December 2017 - 10:21 PM
Harley Shop Talk Established 05/05/05
Painting By: Dave Barnhouse / Hadley House Publishing, All Rights Reserved
HARLEY SHOP TALK IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH HARLEY-DAVIDSON®, INC.
HARLEY SHOP TALK: IF WE AIN'T TALKIN' HARLEYS, WE'RE TALKIN' $#*%!