razor44
post Nov 12 2016, 08:48 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,894
BIKE: FXDL Dyna Low Rider
YEAR: 2001
MILES: 32000

I got a 2001 harley low rider couple days ago my turn signals and rpm gauge quit working i think it's the modular but not sure and also does a modular have anything to do with the charging system?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ordy
post Nov 13 2016, 09:29 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: BOTM Winner's Circle
Member No.: 24
BIKE: FLHTI Electra Glide Standard EFI
YEAR: 2006
MILES: 22,400
BIKE: FLHTI Electra Glide Standard EFI
YEAR: 2006
MILES: 22,400

QUOTE(razor44 @ Nov 12 2016, 08:48 AM) *
I got a 2001 harley low rider couple days ago my turn signals and rpm gauge quit working i think it's the modular but not sure and also does a modular have anything to do with the charging system?

Hi, welcome to the shop.

As far as I can tell, from looking at the 2003 Softail Service Manual; I know you said you have a Dyna but the TSM (Turn Signal Module) and TSSM (Turn Signal Sicurtiy Module) are pretty much the same across the full line of bikes.

Do you have a TSM or do you have a TSSM? If it's the latter then you will have to follow the directions in your service manual to a tee because it involves passwords and programming. If you have a TSM, and it's malfunctioning, your speedometer should put out an error code in the form of a little red light with the symbol of an engine. Online someone had posted a table of error codes and how to read them from your speedo. Search this sight you may find them. You'll need the error codes to make sure it's your TSM and not just a broken wire to your signal lights. If you want to do this yourself you should get a service manual and an electrical service manual. To troubleshoot the TSM my electrical service manual calls for special test tools that the dealers use. You could always swap out your TSM and hope that this fixes it too but if that wasn't the problem you'll be posting that new TSM up on eBay.

Here is a basic schematic, that I got from my 06' Touring Electrical Service Manual. As far as I can tell it's the same thing in my '03 Softail Electrical Service Manual:

(IMG:http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p288/ordy_03/Tsm%20schematic_zpsxgd7hurr.jpg)

Good luck.

Ride safe
Ordy

+Quote Post
screwball
post Nov 13 2016, 07:26 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Group: BOTM Winner's Circle
From: Santa Clarita, SoCal & Bullhead City, Az. OFFICIAL 2nd OLDEST MEMBER
Member No.: 306
BIKE: F-series
YEAR: 2015
MILES: TRIKE
BIKE: F-series

Here is a web page with all the fault codes. Good Luck

http://www.thunder-max.com/techdocs/HarleyDiagCodes.pdf

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th June 2017 - 08:44 PM
Harley Shop Talk Established 05/05/05
Painting By: Dave Barnhouse / Hadley House Publishing, All Rights Reserved
HARLEY SHOP TALK IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH HARLEY-DAVIDSON®, INC.
HARLEY SHOP TALK: IF WE AIN'T TALKIN' HARLEYS, WE'RE TALKIN' $#*%!