Group: BOTM Winner's Circle
Member No.: 24
BIKE: FLHTI Electra Glide Standard EFI
YEAR: 2006
MILES: 22,400

One of the biggest things I had to consider, when purchasing my current bike, was how hot will it get in New York City traffic.

I commute to work between the month's of April and the middle of October. I commute via Harley. Commuting to work on my old Deuce on a hot 92 degree day with 60% humidity the engine would get hot but the bike would never go into Harley safe mode; cutting out one cylinder until you twist the throttle again. Not so with the Electra glide.

Is the electraglide geared differently than other 88 ci twin cam engines? One of the reasons I bought this bike was because I actually wanted a smaller engine than what's out there now. Bigger engines more heat is the way I looked at it. Figured the '06 Electraglide and the '03 Duece have one thing in common; the same Twin Cam 88 engine. So why does the Electraglide run hotter than the Deuce? Same exact air cool engine, right?

After about the 8th time of stop and go traffic and having to cut the engine one block at a time at every stop light, going cross town from the west side of Manhattan to the east side, I decided that perhaps this bike isn't for me. Was considering puttin it on Craigs list and buying a V-Rod. V-Rod's are liguid cooled and are made for sitting at traffic lights for ever.

Decided to try one last thing. No, not an oil cooler. Had one on my Deuce and it helped some what. Still have it. ( hey Robert! You want an oil cooler for your softail? Let a brother know...) What I decided to try was fans. Ugly fans that mount on the horn bracket on the left side of the bike. Decided to go with, and don't giggle you heathens, "Luv Jugs". Threw them on this morning and took the EGlide into the unforgiving colossus that is Manhattan island. It was around 79 degrees today but man was the traffic thick. If I did not have this fan on the bike I would have had to shut her down and let her cool off. One thing, she never went into the Harley safe mode. I sat in traffic for about 40 minutes, slowly inching forward and stopping and never once did the bike hiccup. Top temp on my guage was 195 with the fans kicking...

I don't have a picture but this is what they look like (got this off the net)
(IMG:http://www.dealernews.com/sites/www.dealernews.com/files/images/Close%20up%208-4-14%20copy.jpg)

I know, ugly as sin. But they do the job, so far. Have to see how they will fare on a 99 degree day... Probably will Plasti paint them black to match the horn and see if I want to permanantly keep them that color. BTW: Finally found a use for the ACC switch on the fairing. The Luv Jugs plug right into the ACC plug under the seat that's connected to that switch.

Ride safe
Ordy
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jarhead
post Aug 26 2015, 05:35 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,524
BIKE: FLHX Street Glide
YEAR: 2015
MILES: Yes

Ordy are sure that your that single cylinder mode was switched on with your Softail ?

On my bike the default setting has that mode switched off and you must have a dealer plug in with thier computer to toggle it on.

Only a guess but I'm thinking having this new feature has you thinking thing are worse then they are. I think the bike can hang with any heat or traffic you can throw at it.

+Quote Post
Ordy
post Aug 26 2015, 05:54 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

So Harley Safe Mode is normal? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/holysheep.gif)

I did not know that! I thought that Safe Mode pertained to all TC 88+ engines...

But letting the bike cook like that can't be good for the oil, rings, and other engine parts. I look at it as these bikes are air cooled and sitting in traffic there is no air cooling going on. At least with the fan there is always a constant fow of air on the hottest part of the engine, the very top of the heads.

Ride safe
Ordy

+Quote Post
LoudnProud
post Aug 26 2015, 06:14 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 31
BIKE: FLSTCI Heritage Classic EFI
YEAR: 2003
MILES: 100100

Depends on whether it'll fit with the spoiler I got from you or not....

Did you have to take your front spoiler off to use the cooler???

If not just let me know what you want for it... Got a pay pal acct???

I hope the fans work out for you, Bro...

Function is better than looks any day.... I think that's what the police bikes have on them and I don't think they look bad.... They'll look better black once you paint them since a lot of your bike is black...

btw, Let Mike tell you a little bit about the v-rod before you go that route.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Ordy
post Aug 26 2015, 06:33 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

QUOTE(LoudnProud @ Aug 26 2015, 07:14 PM) *
Depends on whether it'll fit with the spoiler I got from you or not....

Did you have to take your front spoiler off to use the cooler???

If not just let me know what you want for it... Got a pay pal acct???

I hope the fans work out for you, Bro...

Function is better than looks any day.... I think that's what the police bikes have on them and I don't think they look bad.... They'll look better black once you paint them since a lot of your bike is black...

btw, Let Mike tell you a little bit about the v-rod before you go that route.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

It's yours bro'. No charge...

I actually had the oil cooler on the Deuce with the spoiler. Despite the fact that Harley said it wouldn't fit. It did. You'll probably need new hoses and a new gaskett. You can pick the gaskett up at the stealers and the hoses I would just mimic the old ones. Who knows you may be able to get away with the old ones.

I got an used pair of Works Shocks that will probably fit on your bike. I custom ordered them for a 255 pound rider, me... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/whistling.gif) Your's if you want them... Let me know. I think I still have your addy. If not shoot me a text.

That's right ! ol' Iron Mike did have a V-Rod for a while. Heard his exhaust note was excrutiating.,,, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hammer2.gif)

Ride safe
Ordy

+Quote Post
LoudnProud
post Aug 26 2015, 06:47 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Cool, it's still the same address....

They said the spoiler wouldn't fit my bike either... Fuckers (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hysterical.gif)

If you need it just email me at rcruz2003@gmail.com

I'll take the shocks off your hands too even though I'm not close to 255... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/whistling.gif)

Mine are still the stock ones with over 100,000 miles on them so I'm sure those are less worn than mine....

+Quote Post
LoudnProud
post Aug 26 2015, 06:58 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

Como dice, Pepe

Grassy Ass!!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hysterical.gif)

+Quote Post
Jarhead
post Aug 26 2015, 07:23 PM
Post #8

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,524
BIKE: FLHX Street Glide
MILES: Yes

Google parade mode

+Quote Post
Fgowi
post Aug 26 2015, 08:28 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,095
BIKE: FLTRSEI Screamin Eagle Road Glide
YEAR: 2001
MILES: 70,000
BIKE: ***** BAGGERS *****
YEAR: 1111
MILES: 1

My 110 goes into front cyclinder only at a ridiculously low ambient temp. I could be riding non-stop in 75 degree weather and hit a red light. Chances are it will start running on the front only.

The good news is that the throttle response, to wake it up again, is not too bad. I've gotten used to it but it is irritating, if not dangerous.

+Quote Post
Ordy
post Aug 26 2015, 08:37 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

QUOTE(LoudnProud @ Aug 26 2015, 07:58 PM) *
Como dice, Pepe

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/hysterical.gif)

Who you calling Grassy Ass?... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hysterical.gif)

Ride safe
Ordy

+Quote Post
OakR8R
post Aug 26 2015, 08:52 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

Member No.: 2
BIKE: FLHT Electra Glide Standard
YEAR: 2009
MILES: 21,000

Could be wrong but don't believe that the Deuce ever had the "parade mode". From what I recall it was added to the touring models due to the decreased air flow they get to the engine.

+Quote Post
Ordy
post Aug 26 2015, 11:21 PM
Post #12

Group Icon

QUOTE(OakR8R @ Aug 26 2015, 09:52 PM) *
Could be wrong but don't believe that the Deuce ever had the "parade mode". From what I recall it was added to the touring models due to the decreased air flow they get to the engine.

Yeah, I guess I misread that.

Ride safe
Ordy

+Quote Post
Blackcloud
post Aug 27 2015, 05:10 AM
Post #13

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,370
BIKE: FLHTCUI Ultra Classic Electra Glide EFI
YEAR: 2009
MILES: 20,000
MILES: 50,500

Mine does that going in the gate at work. Badge checks of every employee entering makes for long lines. Even with the free air temp in the 60s, the bike will slip in to that dead cylinder mode. I've thought about those fans. Curious about their effectiveness.

+Quote Post
screwball
post Aug 27 2015, 02:48 PM
Post #14

Group Icon

From: Santa Clarita, SoCal & Bullhead City, Az. OFFICIAL 2nd OLDEST MEMBER
Member No.: 306
BIKE: F-series
MILES: TRIKE

QUOTE(LoudnProud @ Aug 26 2015, 04:58 PM) *
Como dice, Pepe

Been a member of a couple of Trike boards since '11. Lots of Newbies buy their first Harley (a trike) then bitch a blue streak about the "burning, searing, heat that sets their pants on fire. These boards are sponsored so here comes the 'recommendation for fans, removing the Cat, custom tuners and exhaust. Vesta and I have owned 4 Harley Trikes. 3 air cooled, 1 with water cooled exhaust jackets. We have never had any of them go into 'heat' mode, but we don't work and can pretty much avoid traffic. None of the trikes felt any hotter (or cooler) than any of the other Harleys we have owned. I have put foot board extenders on all of them, moving your feet an inch or two away from the engine seems to really help. I've told lots on the trike boards to stop resting your leg on the air cleaner and you won't burn yourself. The self professed mechanics there keep telling people they have to remove the cat to cool them down. I keep telling them the cat is under your right foot, no where near your knees. I've been put in 'time out' several times because I'm stepping on the sponsors toes....

+Quote Post
Ordy
post Aug 27 2015, 03:44 PM
Post #15

Group Icon

What about your nuts? Cause Screwball I gotta' tell you, my nuts are on fire while sitting in traffic... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/whistling.gif)

Wife once asked me to get a vasectomy, I said, "Why the fuck should I do that, I ride a Harley"...

Second day out in brutal cross town traffic and the fan worked! Temp never got above 220. The bike usually does the Harley Safe Mode mambo at aroun 230!

I gotta' write the yahoo's who invented this thing a letter... good job!

Ride safe
Ordy

+Quote Post
LoudnProud
post Aug 27 2015, 06:01 PM
Post #16

Group Icon

Glad the fans worked for you, Bro...

If not, I was going to suggest the nut bra to keep'em up and out of the way... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hysterical.gif)

Seems to work for Pepe.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hysterical.gif)

+Quote Post
Ordy
post Aug 27 2015, 06:11 PM
Post #17

Group Icon

QUOTE(LoudnProud @ Aug 27 2015, 07:01 PM) *
Glad the fans worked for you, Bro...

If not, I was going to suggest the nut bra to keep'em up and out of the way... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hysterical.gif)

Seems to work for Pepe.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hysterical.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/hysterical.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hysterical.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hysterical.gif)

His nuts never get toasty. Maybe it's all the Mexican food; the heat in his colon absorbs all the heat from his ball sack?

Ride safe
Ordy

+Quote Post
screwball
post Aug 27 2015, 06:34 PM
Post #18

Group Icon

From: Santa Clarita, SoCal & Bullhead City, Az. OFFICIAL 2nd OLDEST MEMBER
Member No.: 306
MILES: TRIKE

Remember, we rarely ride in traffic. Last time we got stuck because of a train, I shut the trike off. Last time I rode a bike to work was my old Softail and didn't hit any traffic. Always wondered, where does that hot air go. 230* air blowing on your leg can't be that comfortable.... convection oven instead of radiated heat. Also, I can put my feet on the highway pegs when stopped...... balancing a 700# motorcycle isn't a problem anymore.

Funny, talking about riding in the heat. You haven't lived until you take a ride in Bullhead City, Az. when it is 120* in the shade, if you can find any. The smell of hot asphalt makes you gag, no matter how fast you go, there isn't enough air blowing on you to cool you off.

This post has been edited by screwball: Aug 27 2015, 06:37 PM

+Quote Post
Ordy
post Sep 2 2015, 08:38 AM
Post #19

Group Icon

Update:

Yesterday was my worst day ever in NYC traffic.

Not only was it hot as balls but people just forgot how to fuckin' drive. Traffic seemed to be backed up everywhere. i thought the President was in town...

The way I start my commute is by starting up the bike, pointing my GPS towards my job (the traffic application on the GPS usually points me away from the worst of it), and start up the fans by flicking the ACC switch. Of course I throw on the Zeppelin Playlist; just to get the juices flowing... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/whistling.gif)

Yesterday I must have sat in traffic for about an hour. And that was with several bold ventures into splitting the lane territory... Top oil temperature reached 230; about the temperature the bike does the Harley safe mode tango. Not once did it go into safe mode and the engine, despite the heat I was feeling on my right leg, kept it's slow cadence.

These ugly ass things work!!!

Ride safe
Ordy

+Quote Post
LoudnProud
post Sep 2 2015, 01:39 PM
Post #20

Group Icon

Cool, they work as advertised...

Does your bike have the shields (heat) the fit under the seat to keep the engine heat away from los huevos???? If it doesn't then that might be a good idea... I think those are standard now but I wasn't sure if they were standard on your year model...

This post has been edited by LoudnProud: Sep 2 2015, 01:41 PM

+Quote Post
LoudnProud
post Sep 2 2015, 01:54 PM
Post #21

Group Icon

These should help cool your Huevos.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

http://www.eglidegoodies.com/id242.html

+Quote Post
Ordy
post Sep 2 2015, 04:28 PM
Post #22

Group Icon

QUOTE(LoudnProud @ Sep 2 2015, 02:54 PM) *

Because we do need to worry about keeping the boys nice and cool... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/attentionwhore.gif)

Well, rode in today again and, like yesterday, was stuck in it. Today was more humid than yesterday but the bike never went into Harley safe mode. What it did do was activate the check engine light and the battery light simultaneously. Rode some more and the lights went out only to return a minute later. Checked the internet and most guys are saying "new voltage regulator"... Hoping I can start her up and make it home tonight.

You think maybe I brought this shit on myself? I mean I got the fans, the GPS, The Sony head unit, and the 320 watt audio amplifier on simultaneously. Probably tasked the shit out of the charging system. Let's keep our fingers crossed for the Ord-meister... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/holysheep.gif)

Ride safe
Ordy

+Quote Post
LoudnProud
post Sep 2 2015, 06:01 PM
Post #23

Group Icon

Damn, Bro...

Unplug the coffee pot... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hysterical.gif)

Are you running the fans the whole time you're riding or just while in traffic???

Maybe switch off some stuff when you don't need it... I dunno??? You may be doing that already....

Good Luck, I hope she starts.... Don't worry I'm sure she will.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
LoudnProud
post Sep 2 2015, 06:04 PM
Post #24

Group Icon

Pinche Triple Post....

This post has been edited by LoudnProud: Sep 2 2015, 06:06 PM

+Quote Post
Ordy
post Sep 2 2015, 08:27 PM
Post #25

Group Icon

Made it home

On the way in hit a ton of stop and go traffic. At about the 30 minute mark the warning s appeared. Voltage dropped to below 12. Got to work and shut her down.

When I started her up again she was at 10. She cranked and went to 13. Got rolling and hit a few lights, voltage dropped to 10 again. Shut everything off; radio, fans, aux lights and voltage stayed around 12. Once I put her into third gear and tooled along the FDR she jumped back up to 14. It was kind of sudden too, didn't creep up just went to 14. Stayed there too.

Strange fucking happenings .

Wonder if the battery drained down earlier and just needed constant riding at 3,000 rpm to charge back up?

Ride safe
Ordy

+Quote Post
deuce04
post Sep 3 2015, 04:46 AM
Post #26

Group Icon

Member No.: 21
BIKE: FXSTDI Softail Deuce EFI
YEAR: 2004
MILES: 10

Take the bus and your problems are solved (IMG:style_emoticons/default/whistling.gif)

+Quote Post
LoudnProud
post Sep 3 2015, 01:15 PM
Post #27

Group Icon

QUOTE(deuce04 @ Sep 3 2015, 04:46 AM) *
Take the bus and your problems are solved (IMG:style_emoticons/default/whistling.gif)

Yeah, but how fucking lame is that??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hysterical.gif)

I think it just might've drained it faster than your system could recharge...

Might need to replace your charging system with a higher output charging system...

That Bike started out as a Standard no bells and whistles so the charging system may not be set up for all that extra juice all the add ons are pulling... Just a thought...

+Quote Post
Silverlining
post Sep 3 2015, 04:52 PM
Post #28

Group Icon

Member No.: 3,555
BIKE: FXSTC Softail Custom
YEAR: 2007
MILES: 10500
MILES: 35,500 original miles

QUOTE(deuce04 @ Sep 3 2015, 04:46 AM) *

You might want to think about this.....when the weather here gets too hot the bike stays inside the garage and I drive the Pilot. Long sleeves, full fingered gloves and the stop and go traffic sucks when the temps get over 90.

+Quote Post
deuce04
post Sep 3 2015, 07:11 PM
Post #29

Group Icon

Have to remember this NYC aint no fun driving nevermind riding.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/green_beer.gif)

But one would wonder (IMG:style_emoticons/default/closedeyes.gif)

This post has been edited by deuce04: Sep 3 2015, 07:12 PM

+Quote Post
Ordy
post Sep 3 2015, 08:27 PM
Post #30

Group Icon

Thanks for the advice Paul.. Once again you came in like some Super Mario Brother to the rescue with your really, really awesome suggestion... NOT!!! Pay no mind to the Connecticut Yankee behind the curtain...

Besides, i take the bus for five months out of the year.

As far as New York City riding, been doing it for 16 years. Never remember it being as bad as this year but four days out of five I take the bridge to the West Side Highway and tool along at about 45 miles an hour. Take in the view of the Hudson on my right, by the time I reach 65th street, the city on my left. It's not just about getting to work. I consider it therapy. It just takes my head out of the day to day bullshit and twice a day I just concentrate on the ride and the city around me. By the time I get home I'm melo...The one day, sometimes two days, out of the week that I hit traffic I figure out work arounds; Maybe I'll ride down Park Ave and blast my way through all the hoity toity neighborhoods... Like I said this year has been the worse. I also don't commute at the height of rush hour. I'm usually out the door on my way to work at around 10:30 am. Traffic has usually eased a little by then. Just not this summer...

Went to the dealer and picked up a new voltage regulator. Bike charges to 14 volts again. Hopefully problem solve. BTW: I pulled my battery and brought it in and the dealer test it. It was on the way out. Guess all that shutting it down at stop lights did not help matters. I bought a new one...

Hopefully this is it. The only other thing left is the stator...

Ride safe
Ordy

+Quote Post
deuce04
post Sep 4 2015, 04:39 AM
Post #31

Group Icon

I was speaking to the others not you...some seem to forget where you ride or have never done it.

I have.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/finger1.gif)

I got your Yankee right here BITCH

Go METS

+Quote Post
Ordy
post Sep 4 2015, 05:21 AM
Post #32

Group Icon

QUOTE(deuce04 @ Sep 4 2015, 05:39 AM) *
I was speaking to the others not you...some seem to forget where you ride or have never done it.

I have.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/finger1.gif)
I got your Yankee right here BITCH
Go METS

Hey Paul, if you were a meditation guru this is how I would envision you:

"Those bitches can't get get under your skin"...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd September 2017 - 12:09 PM
Harley Shop Talk Established 05/05/05
Painting By: Dave Barnhouse / Hadley House Publishing, All Rights Reserved
HARLEY SHOP TALK IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH HARLEY-DAVIDSON®, INC.
HARLEY SHOP TALK: IF WE AIN'T TALKIN' HARLEYS, WE'RE TALKIN' $#*%!