Group: BOTM Winner's Circle
Member No.: 313
BIKE: FLHTC Electra Glide Classic
YEAR: 2008
MILES: 12300

Hey all,...........well as ya'll know Steve and I are on a road trip and were in Key West now. All is well, and were Happy. Wives flew in yesterday and were very excited. Weather was amazing and the water is so damn warm and clear ! We spent about 4 hours at the beach and sucked down Corona Lights ! Mialmi as I type this is booking a 2 hour Jet Ski around the ISland tour. I'd post pictures here but my camera card is one of the small ones that wont work on this computer. Anyway's,.......leaving in about 5 minutes.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
UH1H
post May 28 2010, 07:59 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Member No.: 90
AKA:HST Supreme Commander, State of Missouri

.........and I am getting ready to go outside and mow the grass......??

Have a good time and be safe.

+Quote Post
Ordy
post May 28 2010, 08:21 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 24
BIKE: FLHTI Electra Glide Standard EFI
YEAR: 2006
MILES: 22,400
BIKE: FLHTI Electra Glide Standard EFI
MILES: 22,400

I'm getting ready to jump in the shower, wash my ass, and head to work.

You guys have a blast. Ol' lady and daughter spent a week there in April. They loved it.

Ride safe
Ordy

+Quote Post
dot
post May 28 2010, 10:41 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 766

Thanks for the report!!! Glad you're having fun, and conditions are perfect!

The fellas took care of our yard last night.

I just finished working on cemetery flowers....planning to make the run at lunch, then off to work by 2.

+Quote Post
Wildchild
post May 28 2010, 01:27 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 2,527
BIKE: XLH883 Sportster 883 Hugger
YEAR: 2001
MILES: 138,000
MILES: See above

Good to hear! Yeah, the news media is doing a real diservice to Fla. with all the negative reporting. The beaches here have not been touched or otherwise affected by the oil spill. We don't have internet - or phone- as of right now. But, I will be checking back on the computer at the library fairly often, especially in the next few days. I am not sure what your plans are, but if you will be back through central Fla., let us know. Enjoy your trip!

+Quote Post
EZGlider
post May 28 2010, 06:36 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 29
BIKE: FLTRI Road Glide EFI
MILES: 25,000+
BIKE: FXDWG Dyna Wide Glide
YEAR: 2004
MILES: Gone but not forgotten

You guys have fun in the "Conch Republic"!
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Southernmost_20Pup.JPG ( 65.83k ) Number of downloads: 2

+Quote Post
Blackcloud
post May 29 2010, 06:46 AM
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,370
BIKE: FLHTCUI Ultra Classic Electra Glide EFI
YEAR: 2009
MILES: 20,000
MILES: 50,500

Sounds like a nice place to visit. Have fun, be safe. Looking forward to those pictures.

+Quote Post
JIMMYZ
post May 29 2010, 08:12 AM
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 329
BIKE: FLHRC Road King Classic
MILES: 90000
BIKE: FLHRCI Road King Classic EFI

you guys have a Safe trip !!

+Quote Post
92Flstf
post May 29 2010, 08:48 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

Member No.: 128
BIKE: FLSTF Fat Boy
YEAR: 1992
MILES: 22000
YEAR: 1992
MILES: 22000

QUOTE(EZGlider @ May 28 2010, 07:36 PM) *
You guys have fun in the "Conch Republic"!

Man, that point is a LONG swim to get out of Obamaland...

+Quote Post
xusnatc
post May 30 2010, 04:23 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

Heading back to reality now and all is well. Put our wives on the plane this morning out of Ft. Lauderdale, and Steve and I dodged SUNSHINE all the way up to Sanford Florida. (IMG:http://www.harleyshoptalk.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Anyway,......I'll post some pictures of our trip sometime tomorrow evening and let me say this,........Key West would be a great place to hold a Rally. Either there or an Island or two North of Key West. The place we stayed at would be great to have the get-together at because of the way it was set-up and there was a small pool dead smack in the middle of the rooms. Steve and I thought that a Key West Rally could be a Fly-In kinda thing instead of a ride in. Just a thought,...... The ocean water was so warm in was amazing. Also,......the Wave Runner trip around the Island was a blast. We got it hooked up for $99.00 per runner, and I can see us all now. Steve and I were sending walls of water at each other just about knocking each other off the runners. That 2 hour trip was ABSOLUTELY amazing ! With all of us showing I'd bet we could hook it up for less then what we paid. (Something to think about).

+Quote Post
T-Willy
post May 30 2010, 05:43 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

Member No.: 3,139
BIKE: FXSTI Softail Standard EFI
MILES: 10k

Sounds like you guys had a great time......mighta missed out a little on the Cali thing though. (IMG:http://www.harleyshoptalk.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/whistling.gif)

Pretty sure there should be a pic or two up in the next few days.

+Quote Post
SeaHag
post May 31 2010, 12:28 AM
Post #12

Group Icon

Member No.: 224
AKA:Dragon Slayer
YEAR: 2005
MILES: 47,000 +

QUOTE(xusnatc @ May 30 2010, 03:23 PM) *
Heading back to reality now and all is well. Put our wives on the plane this morning out of Ft. Lauderdale, and Steve and I dodged SUNSHINE all the way up to Sanford Florida. (IMG:http://www.harleyshoptalk.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Anyway,......I'll post some pictures of our trip sometime tomorrow evening and let me say this,........Key West would be a great place to hold a Rally. Either there or an Island or two North of Key West. The place we stayed at would be great to have the get-together at because of the way it was set-up and there was a small pool dead smack in the middle of the rooms. Steve and I thought that a Key West Rally could be a Fly-In kinda thing instead of a ride in. Just a thought,...... The ocean water was so warm in was amazing. Also,......the Wave Runner trip around the Island was a blast. We got it hooked up for $99.00 per runner, and I can see us all now. Steve and I were sending walls of water at each other just about knocking each other off the runners. That 2 hour trip was ABSOLUTELY amazing ! With all of us showing I'd bet we could hook it up for less then what we paid. (Something to think about).

Maybe a winter Off-season rally location???? An excuse for us northerners to escape winter, but to get together with the HST family in the winter months.

+Quote Post
xusnatc
post May 31 2010, 08:49 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

(IMG:http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x206/mtharmony/Key%20West%20Run/th_KeyWest213.jpg)

+Quote Post
dot
post May 31 2010, 10:08 PM
Post #14

Group Icon

Member No.: 766

Slick!!! Loved the movie and the pics....you guys did it up good!!!

+Quote Post
Sick_Puppy
post May 31 2010, 10:30 PM
Post #15

Group Icon

Member No.: 52
AKA:HST Spiritual Advisor
BIKE: FXSTS Springer Softail
YEAR: 1984
MILES: 220251

pussies !

+Quote Post
xusnatc
post Jun 1 2010, 07:13 AM
Post #16

Group Icon

QUOTE(Sick_Puppy @ May 31 2010, 11:30 PM) *
pussies !

Yup,.......ate lot's of that too. (IMG:http://www.harleyshoptalk.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif)

+Quote Post
xusnatc
post Jun 1 2010, 07:27 AM
Post #17

Group Icon

(IMG:http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x206/mtharmony/Key%20West%20Run/th_Alligator.jpg)

+Quote Post
LoudnProud
post Jun 2 2010, 12:22 PM
Post #18

Group Icon

Member No.: 31
BIKE: FLSTCI Heritage Classic EFI
YEAR: 2003
MILES: 100100

I'm glad that ya'll had a good time...

I haven't had time to look at the pictures yet but I'm sure they're great too...

I like the idea of having a Rally there sometime in the future too but I think the next 3 have already been accounted for...

A winter Rally would be cool but some of us can only make one big trip per year. (IMG:http://www.harleyshoptalk.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

+Quote Post
Big_Ty
post Jun 3 2010, 01:47 AM
Post #19

Group Icon

Member No.: 82
MILES: 95000
BIKE: FLSTFI Fat Boy EFI
MILES: 66000

So who volunteered for the next three ? any of them from the private reserve selection only? What are the dues? echo ....but add "Rich" Pussies total expenses 25% more than a fly and ride

+Quote Post
LoudnProud
post Jun 3 2010, 09:13 AM
Post #20

Group Icon

Member No.: 31
BIKE: FLSTCI Heritage Classic EFI
MILES: 100100

QUOTE(Big_Ty @ Jun 3 2010, 01:47 AM) *
So who volunteered for the next three ? any of them from the private reserve selection only? What are the dues? echo ....but add "Rich" Pussies total expenses 25% more than a fly and ride

2011 Zip in Ohio

2012 ??? Virginia is what we discussed last year in Texas... We just need someone to volunteer... (IMG:http://www.harleyshoptalk.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/whistling.gif)

2013 Night Rider in Milwaukee Wisconsin same time as the 110th Anniversary

+Quote Post
Wildchild
post Jun 3 2010, 09:19 PM
Post #21

Group Icon

Member No.: 2,527
MILES: 138,000
MILES: See above

QUOTE(xusnatc @ May 30 2010, 05:23 PM) *

I agree. Consider having a rally in Fla. sometime.

+Quote Post
Big_Ty
post Jun 3 2010, 10:38 PM
Post #22

Group Icon

Member No.: 82
MILES: 95000
BIKE: FLSTFI Fat Boy EFI
MILES: 66000

Im in no matter what ....time or place I will be there (IMG:http://www.harleyshoptalk.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/whistling.gif)

+Quote Post
G MAN
post Jun 5 2010, 02:22 PM
Post #23

Group Icon

Member No.: 5
AKA:Pinkie Tuscadaro
MILES: 20k, no 25k, no...
BIKE: FLHT Electra Glide Standard
YEAR: 1997
MILES: 49k on frame, 115 miles on motor

Wow. The cool thing about this site is that you don't have to be hardcore old school to see what it's really like!

I like the train compartment but it looks a little tight for anything more than a party a deux. Glad you were able to get away. You both look recharged.

G

+Quote Post
xusnatc
post Jun 5 2010, 02:42 PM
Post #24

Group Icon

Kristie & I are BOTH recharged down there. We needed that getaway, and to do it in Key West was great. Beautiful hot weather, and the ocean was 80 degrees. I say we all try to plan a Key West party during the winter months next Feb-Mar. A Thursday to Sunday kinda thing to break up the winter blues.

Picture of Kristie & I enjoying a great dinner @ the Half Shell.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  K_J.jpg ( 61.61k ) Number of downloads: 9

+Quote Post
G MAN
post Jun 5 2010, 04:01 PM
Post #25

Group Icon

Member No.: 5
AKA:Pinkie Tuscadaro
MILES: 20k, no 25k, no...
BIKE: FLHT Electra Glide Standard
YEAR: 1997
MILES: 49k on frame, 115 miles on motor

It's been so long since I've been in Key West I don't honestly remember much other than it made P-Town look republican.
Very artithssstic.
I do remember diving in Marathon Key. Jumping into the ocean was as comfortable as a cool breeze and the clarity of the water was almost freaky.

+Quote Post
EZGlider
post Jun 6 2010, 05:27 PM
Post #26

Group Icon

Member No.: 29
MILES: 25,000+
BIKE: FXDWG Dyna Wide Glide
MILES: Gone but not forgotten

Be cool to do a rally at the "Hurricane Inn" on Key Largo where Bogey and Bacall got it on! (IMG:http://www.harleyshoptalk.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/whistling.gif)

http://www.stoneledgeparadiseinn.com/?p=13

(IMG:http://www.moviediva.com/MD_root/MDimages/Copy_of_keyl2.jpg)

Key Largo (1948) Directed by John Huston. Humphrey Bogart, Edward G. Robinson, Lauren Bacall, Claire Trevor (101 min.) plus: notes on musical short subject, Jammin' The Blues (1944)

"Let me tell you about Florida politicians. I make them, I make them out of whole cloth, just like a tailor makes a suit. I get their name in the newspaper. I get them some publicity and I get their name on the ballot. Then, after the election, we count the votes, and if they don't turn out right, we recount them again until they do"--Edward G. Robinson to Humphrey Bogart in Key Largo

The gathering force of a hurricane like the one that really did devastate the Florida Keys in the 1930s is a backdrop to the perspiring passions of murderers, molls and Bogart and Bacall. Suffering from post-WWII malaise, Bogart journeys to visit his buddy's widow. He finds her in a backwater hotel in Key Largo occupied by an invading army of gangsters. Brutal Johnny Rocco isn't afraid of any man, but God's fury is different matter.

Hollywood was in turmoil in 1947. The House on Un-American Activities Committee was holding investigations into Communist influences in the film capital. John Huston, Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall were high profile members of an opposing group, the Committee for the Defense of the First Amendment. Bogart and Bacall had just flown to Washington with other prominent movie folk to give moral support to Eric Johnson, a spokesman for the Producers' Association, who was going to affirm that Hollywood would never support a blacklist or government censorship. But, they were no match for the maneuverings of skilled House Committee politicians, including Richard Nixon. By the time the CDF returned home, it would appear that they were defending not democracy, but Communism. John Huston said, "Communism was nothing compared to the evil done by the witch hunters. They were the real enemies of this country." Back on home turf, Huston and Bogart replied forcefully with an allegory of power wielded by fascist gangsters against innocent citizens.

Key Largo was first a play written in blank verse by Maxwell Anderson. On stage, Paul Muni played a veteran of the Spanish Civil War who deserted under fire and redeems himself in death, defending the family of a true war hero. John Huston was in a rage over the HUAC hearings and didn't want to adapt a play by a reactionary who hated Roosevelt, in poetry, yet. For the proper atmosphere, he and Richard Brooks were hammering out a script in the only hotel in Key Largo, deserted in the off season. Their script was saturated with post-war disillusionment. The criminal boss, Johnny Rocco, was modeled on real-life gangster Lucky Luciano, who had just been deported to Cuba, followed by his loyal mistress, Gaye Orlova. The play's ending was thrown out and a new one was added from Hemingway's To Have and Have Not, since Howard Hawks' film of that name had previously thrown out Hemingway's ending.

Huston's last film, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, had been filmed on location and had gone over budget, so Jack Warner insisted that Key Largo be filmed on the studio sound stage. Cinematographer Karl Freund compensated by using his camera expressively to negate the impression of staginess as much as possible. The cast rehearsed as if for a play, which resulted in an ease with the material, and Bogart and Robinson in particular enjoyed the professional give and take as they created their characters.

This was the fifth film that Robinson and Bogart made together. Robinson said, "When I was the reigning star, Bogie would be slain first and I'd live out another reel before I got it. As the years passed, and Bogart became the reigning star and I was demoted to character roles, I'd get the bullet first and Bogie would live out another reel." Bogart may have eclipsed Robinson at the box office, but he insisted that Robinson get star treatment on the set. And Huston devised a fabulous entrance for him, hot and sweaty, smoking a cigar and wallowing in a bathtub, like "like a crustacean with its shell off." It's hard to believe that Huston's first choice for the part of Johnny Rocco was Charles Boyer.

Claire Trevor had made 44 mostly B pictures. She wanted the part of Gaye Dawn, and asked Bogart, her old friend from Dead End, to ask Jack Warner if she could have it. She was nervous about her big scene, particularly the singing and asked constantly for a chance to rehearse it. Huston would say there was "plenty of time". One day after lunch, he told her to get into her costume, he'd decided to shoot the scene. He stood her in the middle of the room, an off-screen pianist played one note, and he told her "Go." She was embarrassed, "I was supposed to be embarrassed," she said. "I thought the day would never end. That was torture. But that's what got the effect." After she shot the scene, one of the actors playing Rocco's henchmen turned to another and whispered, "She's going to get an Academy Award for this." And so she did.

This was the last of the Bogart-Bacall films. Bacall was still unsure of herself as an actress, and this part was considerably more drab than any of the others she'd played thus far. Bogart was an acting mentor to her, but never gave her advice in front of anyone else. He cautioned her against overplaying, which he hated. "The audience is always a little ahead of you. If a guy points a gun at you, the audience knows you're afraid, you don't have to make faces."

Lauren Bacall was still quite a young woman during her "comeback" at the age of 41 on Broadway in Cactus Flower. In an interview she did for McCall's magazine in 1966 for this occasion she discussed Bogart's cult status, "Never before in the history of motion picture industry, or in any other part of the theatrical world, for that matter, has anything like this Bogart revival happened. It isn't just a fad, a whim of the moment. Bogie's incredible qualities as a man were so strong that they overshadowed all the lousy parts and lousy pictures he played in, and there were certainly too many of those."

Bogey and Betty in "Key Largo." He denies calling her "Baby"--a name, it is said, they'll both be using for someone else soon. NB: This is posed publicity photo, not from the film, and not a candid, since Bogart is wearing his toupee.

Novelist and critic James Agee was a great admirer of director John Huston. He wrote a feature on him for Life magazine in 1950, and later they worked together on The African Queen. In his review of Key Largo, he acknowledged that Huston had made as strong a statement as he dared against the HUAC. "Some of the points Huston wanted most to make were cut out of the picture after he finished it, and I rather doubt whether gangsters can be made to represent all that he meant them to--practically everything that is wrong with post-war America…" But he was unequivocal in his praise in his Life profile, " To put it conservatively, there is nobody under fifty at work in movies, here or abroad, who can excel Huston in talent, inventiveness, intransigence, achievement or promise."

Jammin' the Blues (1944) Director: Gjon Mili. Lester Young, Red Callender, Harry Edison. (10 min.) Jammin the Blues is a swinging jam session starring jazz legend Lester Young. Director Mili revolutionized action still photography by pioneering the use of Harold Edgerton's high-speed electronic flashes, notably in a Life magazine cover story on Lindy-hoppers in 1943. His only film includes the title tune, "The Midnight Symphony" and "On the Sunny Side of the Street" sung by Marie Bryant. She also joins Katharine Dunham dancer Archie Savage in a spirited dance break. Integrated bands were still uncommon, so guitarist Barney Kessel, the band's only white musician, is hidden in the shadows. A fellow musician once said of Young, "Everyone who doesn't play like Lester is wrong."

+Quote Post
Sick_Puppy
post Jun 7 2010, 08:30 PM
Post #27

Group Icon

Member No.: 52
AKA:HST Spiritual Advisor
BIKE: FXSTS Springer Softail
YEAR: 1984
MILES: 220251

Feb-Mar is still kinda cool around here but whatdafuck, I got a electric suit now. A good 2 day blast if no snow.

+Quote Post
MIALMA
post Mar 24 2014, 08:17 PM
Post #28

Group Icon

Member No.: 3
MILES: 35k+
MILES: 40k

damn that was a nice trip. my picture taking abilities are nil. thank god joev took 'em!

sorry, reminiscing.

+Quote Post
xusnatc
post Mar 31 2014, 08:47 AM
Post #29

Group Icon

http://s185.photobucket.com/user/mtharmony...rt=6&page=1

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/attentionwhore.gif)

+Quote Post
MIALMA
post Apr 1 2014, 05:13 AM
Post #30

Group Icon

thanks, joe! how's FLA treating everyone?

+Quote Post
xusnatc
post Apr 7 2014, 11:06 PM
Post #31

Group Icon

Not shoveling snow and I'm peeling from sun burn. LOL My job is great and it's nice to be looking out the window again. Miami wasn't our first choice, but so far we are happy to have made the move down here. We haven't had any regrets that's for sure. Our weekends are usually pretty busy now and the weather keeps us outside.

My Son Kyle made us very proud by becoming a Florida State Champion @ 152 lbs. The State Wrestling Championships were held the weekend of February 14th - 15th in Lakeland Florida and Kyle kicked ass. We weren't sure how things would go with him finishing up his Senior year at a brand new school, new team and him leaving all his friends, but he's happy he came now. LOL

Little Brett is doing great in his new school and he stays busy with Lacrosse and Wrestling. He's also found his new passion,.....surfing. We were at the beach all day yesterday and he came out of the water for may 1 hour. He surfs ALL DAY.

The girls are still up north and they are both doing great with work and college. Lauren may transfer down here, but we shall see.

Kristie is doing good. She just recently decided to start looking for work and hopefully that will happen for her soon. Too many kids going to be in college at one time and it'll kill me. LOL I thought I'd might stay working a bit longer now that I'm here in Florida, but I've pretty much decided on calling it quits in 3 more years. June 2017 is my end and Kristie is supporting it.

If you or anyone here wants a place to stay while in Florida that give us a shout. We have beer. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerbang1.gif)

+Quote Post
MIALMA
post Apr 8 2014, 07:54 PM
Post #32

Group Icon

thanks for the update. snow was downright hellacious here this year - glad you missed it. had no idea you landed in Miami. we just finished a marathon run through that show dexter, and it was great seeing all of the surroundings - you must feel like you're in paradise compared to up here.

congrats to kyle! my he must have grown! 152 pounds of raw power, I'd imagine. I bet Kristie's beating the girls off him with a stick as well! brett's wrestling too? and surfing? nice!!!

good luck with everything, and do tell Kristie we all said hi. beer, huh? bet.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th September 2017 - 01:45 AM
Harley Shop Talk Established 05/05/05
Painting By: Dave Barnhouse / Hadley House Publishing, All Rights Reserved
HARLEY SHOP TALK IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH HARLEY-DAVIDSON®, INC.
HARLEY SHOP TALK: IF WE AIN'T TALKIN' HARLEYS, WE'RE TALKIN' $#*%!