Rogerson0522
post Nov 28 2017, 04:01 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,140
BIKE: XL883C Sportster Custom
YEAR: 2000
MILES: 13,343

Hello all! Brand new to the forum and to the Harley world. Iv been a japanses brand mechanic since 2006 and picked up my first (pre-loved) Harley yesterday.

That all being said, iv hit an interesting issue that i have not seen before while PM'ing this 883 to be road worthy again.

This bike has been sitting an attached garage in south Florida for 3 years. Zero storage prep was performed. Just parked and left.

I pulled the air cleaner off the machine to replace it and noticed what looked to be turpentine smelling sticky oil on the filter and on the intake side of the carb.

I pulled the carb off and set it aside. A glance down both sides of the engine intake had no signs of this "oil." Almost clean as new.

Further inspection and dissesembly of the carb revealed that the INTIRE carb was full of this stuff. Butterfly was seized up, float boal was coated, jets are clogged, the needle valve was froze in the float bowl as well.

Question one: What is/what creates this gas/oil sludge build up if there are no oil lines or breathers running through the air cleaner? Is it just old gas? Iv never seen build up like this?

Also the exhaust side of the carb has what look like burn marks on it, and the yellow plastic rig that separates the rubber diaphram from the slide shows signs of melting over time. Is this from intake backfiring?

Question three: I have never seen this kind of build up in a carb before, even from machines that have hsd 10+ years of sitting. Is this carb worth the trouble it would take to clean it out? Or just buy one in better shape or a new one. Iv thrown away carbs that are half as bad.

Any help, hints, insight, tricks, or heads up would be greatly appreciated. Lay it on me!

This post has been edited by Rogerson0522: Nov 28 2017, 04:03 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Blackcloud
post Nov 28 2017, 07:53 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: BOTM Winner's Circle
Member No.: 1,370
BIKE: FLHTCUI Ultra Classic Electra Glide EFI
YEAR: 2009
MILES: 20,000
MILES: 50,500

1. Welcome to HST.
2. I'm no mechanic.
3. Sounds like a poorly adjusted carb(which made it run wrong(evidence of melting))that was neglected (fuel varnish).
4. If it were ME, I'd take it to the dealer and just pay them to fix it, BUT>>>>> since you are a mechanic, I'd just replace the carb and those components that were damaged by excessive heat (melted).
5. I hope you can get it running in proper order, and if so, please report back and let us know.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th February 2018 - 04:33 AM
Harley Shop Talk Established 05/05/05
Painting By: Dave Barnhouse / Hadley House Publishing, All Rights Reserved
HARLEY SHOP TALK IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH HARLEY-DAVIDSON®, INC.
HARLEY SHOP TALK: IF WE AIN'T TALKIN' HARLEYS, WE'RE TALKIN' $#*%!