post Sep 19 2011, 09:47 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: BOTM Winner's Circle
Member No.: 55
BIKE: FLHRCI Road King Classic EFI
YEAR: 2004
MILES: 63000

Was a titch cool this year. Highs never got over 60, most of the time they were in the mid 50's. Rain held off til the ride home on Sunday morning. Thursday's ride up was nice, got to the motel, dumped our shit and made the ride down 107 to Tomahawk. Went to Sara Park and checked out the vendors and new bikes, ate biker food and watched the bonfire. Friday started out cold, but warmed up to almost 40, so we took off for Eagle River. Bikes were running good in the cool weather and a coupla hours later stopped to warm up and have a bite to eat. After lunch it had warmed up nicely and as I touched the starter button on Ol' Paint, I got a click......then nuttin'. WTF, I just put in a new battery two weeks ago. Musta not got the cables tight. Took off the seat tighened the cables and again click........then nuttin'. Player with 'er a while and then decided it was beyond me.......called for HOG roadside assistance. 90 minutes later, the truck finally arrives. After rememberin' Sammy's tow-truck fiasco, I was fearin' the worst, especially after seeing no chock or way of fastening Ol' Paint to the truck. To my delight, I got a nice ol guy named "Earl". Earl takes a tool box off the back of the truck and proceeds to assemble a chock with wheeled outriggers. Cool little gadget I wheeled the bike into that allowed him to strap the bike to it securely while he winched the whole works onto the truck. He then proceeded to double and triple strap the bike down better than I ever coulda done. Once on the truck I never looked at the bike again.....I was that confident he knew what he was doin'. Half an hour later, @ 5:00, we pulled into Northern Lights Harley Davidson in Arbor Vitae. Since it was Tomahawk weekend and they are active in the rally there was probably 500 bikes there. Earl wound thru the crowd with the 40' truck until he was backed up to the service door. I figure it will be next week til they get to MY bike. By the time I signed the papers for the HOG authorized towtruck payment, they had my bike off the truck, wheeled 'er into the shop, had the saddle off and a new battery in 'er. Ten minutes later they said the stator tested good and it was the regulator and I'd be on my way in 20 minutes. But....when I saw the look on the mechanics(Eric) face when he tested the amperage I knew they hadn't found the solution. Again the stator tested fine, but the amps weren't reaching the battery...must be a short somewhere. Hour and a half later Eric says, I gotta open 'er up, must be the stator, everything else looks good. I'll stay tonight till we get her back on the road.....it was 7:00 already. As Eric opens 'er up, the parts man comes in and says altho the computer says they have two stators in stock, there are none. Closest one to be had is in Wausau, 75 miles away. Eric says if I will go get it, they'll put it in come morning. I have no way to get to the motel, much less to Wausau. Call some friends that live outside Tomahawk, they say we can borrow their car. In the meantime Eric comes over and says the stator is fine, but somehow the teeth are sheared off the rotor and it's shot. Problem is they don't have one of those either. Either way he fears the stator may have some nicks in the wire insulation and recommends replacing it too while it's open. I'm starting to feel the need for some K-Y and hope I got enough room on my plastic. The shop manager(TJ) then comes over and says Wausau Harley is bringing merchandise to restock their booth in Tomahawk and will have my parts there @ 9:00 in the morning. They will leave my bike on the lift till I get the parts there in the morning and it will be the first priority. Saturday morning, I'm at the Wausau tent @ 8:45. Half an hour later I'm on the road with a new rotor and stator. I get to Arbor Vitae @ 10:15 and hand my parts to Eric. I go out to move the car outta the way(by then the police are directing the traffic in front of the store) and by the time I get back, Eric is torquing the bolts down on the primary case. 5 minutes later I hear Ol' Paint roar to life. I go in and Eric says he has about half an hour yet to get all the small shit back on and test ride it. He gets back from the test ride with a smile on his face and then I prepare myself for the bill. Eric says since it wasn't the regulator, their mistake, they'd eat the cost on it($290 I think it was). TJ said since I made the parts rune they wouldn't charge me for Friday night's labor(2 1/2 hours) and only charge me their normal 1 hour for a stator replacement. I was out the door before noon on Saturday with a new battery, new regulator, stator, rotor and the gaskets and fluid needed for under $500. HOG and Progressive picked up Earls bill. For those that make fun of HOG, the tow cost almost paid in full the cost of my HOG lifetime membership. The folks on the line were pleasant and informative, and sent me a guy that knew what the fuck he was doin'. They called back while we were in the towtruck to ask if assistance was there yet. They also called later to make sure I had a positive experience with the tow. Northern Lights HD....I can't say enough about. Professional, friendly, fair and did everything they could to get an outoftown biker back on the road. Can't ask for much more than that. Even after the 50 mile round trip of returning the car, we still had time Saturday for a nice 100 mile ride. Bike ran great on the way home Sunday and got me back in time to get my new pup!

(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/buckanddot/bucks/100_0572.jpg)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TxGecko
post Sep 20 2011, 07:07 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Member No.: 3,732
BIKE: FLHTCU Ultra Classic Electra Glide
YEAR: 2011
MILES: 16, 500

Disappointing news with the bike, but sounds like all worked out well for you. I will mark Northern Lights HD down as a good one. Ride safe
Great looking pup.

+Quote Post
LoudnProud
post Sep 20 2011, 08:51 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 31
BIKE: FLSTCI Heritage Classic EFI
YEAR: 2003
MILES: 100100

Glad to hear they took good care of you my friend....

If some shit like that is going to happen it sure makes you feel better about it when you don't get put over a barrel.

Congrats on the new pup... (IMG:http://www.harleyshoptalk.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif)

+Quote Post
Silverlining
post Sep 20 2011, 05:35 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 3,555
BIKE: FXSTC Softail Custom
YEAR: 2007
MILES: 10500
MILES: 35,500 original miles

I am so glad there was another biker that needed assistance and the HD dealer came through for them. Great news on the pup. Enjoy.

+Quote Post
Blackcloud
post Sep 20 2011, 06:48 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,370
BIKE: FLHTCUI Ultra Classic Electra Glide EFI
YEAR: 2009
MILES: 20,000
MILES: 50,500

Holy crap! You got treated RIGHT! Sorry about the bike, but glad it worked out so well. That's a nice dealership right there!

+Quote Post
karstman
post Sep 21 2011, 06:41 AM
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 192
BIKE: FLTR Road Glide
YEAR: 2007
MILES: 1.618

Sorry about your troubles Buck, but glad to hear yall were taken care of.

+Quote Post
SeaHag
post Sep 22 2011, 12:20 AM
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 224
AKA:Dragon Slayer
BIKE: FLTRI Road Glide EFI
YEAR: 2005
MILES: 47,000 +

I love stories with happy endings. (IMG:http://www.harleyshoptalk.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/yes.gif) (IMG:http://www.harleyshoptalk.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/bike.gif)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd September 2017 - 12:45 AM
Harley Shop Talk Established 05/05/05
Painting By: Dave Barnhouse / Hadley House Publishing, All Rights Reserved
HARLEY SHOP TALK IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH HARLEY-DAVIDSON®, INC.
HARLEY SHOP TALK: IF WE AIN'T TALKIN' HARLEYS, WE'RE TALKIN' $#*%!