Post #1

Group Icon

Group: BOTM Winner's Circle
Member No.: 1,370
BIKE: FLHTCUI Ultra Classic Electra Glide EFI
YEAR: 2009
MILES: 20,000
MILES: 50,500

I hadn't been riding much the last few years. Less than 1,000 miles per year. Bike developed a little leak. A dime sized spot of oil falling on the garage floor every so often. Not horrible. Nothing like the AMF years.
I took it for a 20K mile service and reported the leak and occasional popping on deceleration.
Decel popping isn't a concern I guess. It's because of my exhaust and not being compensated for with a snazzy breather and a tuner download. Yada yada. No biggie.
The drip on the other hand.....
It's a Sunday and I got a call from the shop manager 30 minutes before they close. He says he wants to show me the source of the drip. Says they close at 5 but he and the mechanic working on my bike will be there for a while and I can just come around back.
He puts the bike up on the lift, gets a little pen light and shows me the seepage where the shifter arm goes into the case. Not the problem, but they'll fix it while they're working on the real problem. Shows me the seepage on the clutch cable. That too will be fixed, but is also not the problem. Shows me the seam where the engine case (left and right halves) fit together. That's the problem. He explains that to fix it, they gotta basically take the engine apart, split the case, replace the gasket (or whatever the fuck goes between there).
Bottom line, this 20K service is almost true to its name. The service, the leak fixes, and new brakes (the pads were almost gone) is going to be around 2500 bucks.
I need to start riding more to make this shit worth it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Blackcloud
post Jun 16 2017, 09:35 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: BOTM Winner's Circle
Member No.: 1,370
BIKE: FLHTCUI Ultra Classic Electra Glide EFI
YEAR: 2009
MILES: 20,000
MILES: 50,500

20k service - 504.17
oil leak/reseal engine cases - 1998.86
gasket, transmission side and clutch cable replacement - 203.88
shift shaft seal bushing replacement - 163.17
R&R front pads - 187.90
R&R rear pads - 99.95
FIR pistons and rings / new cylinders - 168.00
shop supplies - 25.00
tax - 188.76
Total - 3469.69

Well, shit. Plenty more than I wanted to pay. Still, it was cheaper than an OEM long block or a crate engine. Excuse me while I go apply the preparation H.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th December 2017 - 01:08 AM
Harley Shop Talk Established 05/05/05
Painting By: Dave Barnhouse / Hadley House Publishing, All Rights Reserved
HARLEY SHOP TALK IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH HARLEY-DAVIDSON®, INC.
HARLEY SHOP TALK: IF WE AIN'T TALKIN' HARLEYS, WE'RE TALKIN' $#*%!