alm1307
post Jul 22 2012, 03:19 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,334
BIKE: XLH1200 1200
YEAR: 2003
MILES: 6000

Hello, I inherited a 2003 sportster 1200. Although my first HD, I have ridden Japanese bikes for many years. The sportster seems to have carb issues. It always starts fine, but take at least 20 minutes to warm up. Once it is warm it runs pretty good (Again, nothing to really compare it to.) However, during the first 20 minutes, it sputters and pops through the carb...especially when the choke is in after complete warm up. I'l be driving along at 40 and all of a sudden it will sputter. Drives me crazy. I started easy and changed plugs, plug wires, and have intake seals, but ordered the special tool to get those buried 4 bolts out. I also cleaned the carb. While in there I saw the jets were stock at 170 Main jet and 42 slow jet. Stock exhaust as well. Maybe the intake seals will cure it, but if not sure if I need adjust the jets. From what have searched, maybe it is running lean? If so how would I correct the problem? Any advice on trouble shooting and hoping I'm doing the right things. I have found some great sportbike forums through the years that the nice people have helped me out and I hope this is one I can add to my Harley forums.

I did do a search, but didn't come up with something exactly that would help me. Sorry for the long post, just trying to give as much info.

Thanks in advance
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Shreena
post Dec 30 2016, 10:54 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,812
BIKE: FXDWG Dyna Wide Glide
YEAR: 2011
MILES: 18,300

What kind of carburetor is it? Have you checked the float? I've only had older Sportsters, but a carb is a carb. I had a Keihen on my last Sportster
and my problem was the float.
Hope this helps or at least leads you to a different approach.
Shreena
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2017 - 02:02 AM
Harley Shop Talk Established 05/05/05
Painting By: Dave Barnhouse / Hadley House Publishing, All Rights Reserved
HARLEY SHOP TALK IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH HARLEY-DAVIDSON®, INC.
HARLEY SHOP TALK: IF WE AIN'T TALKIN' HARLEYS, WE'RE TALKIN' $#*%!