HARLEY SHOP TALK

Often Imitated, Never Duplicated

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fuel line broke in two..., Fuel line broke in two...
Pancho
post Mar 31 2013, 07:19 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,211
BIKE: FXLR FX Lower Rider/Evolution
YEAR: 1992
MILES: shitload

Fuel line broke in two...

Clear pvc fuel line broke in two.
Line was new when I bult the bike in 2002 = 11 years ago.
Line feeds from Pingle to SS Shorty E on Evo.
Some questions:

1. Is this a 38" ID ?
2. Will all vinyl lines do as a replacement...say, the 3/8 ID clear braided vinyl tubing from Ace hardware ?

Thanks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
92Flstf
post Mar 31 2013, 09:40 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: BOTM Winner's Circle
Member No.: 128
BIKE: FLSTF Fat Boy
MILES: 22000

AFAIK clear PVC is not good for fuel applications and high heat areas. PVC in of itself is not photoresistant either (sunlight/uv) . I'd prolly stick with good ol' real black fuel line. If you want pretty go for the braided covered stuff.

+Quote Post
screwball
post Mar 31 2013, 09:48 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

From: Santa Clarita, SoCal & Bullhead City, Az. OFFICIAL 2nd OLDEST MEMBER
Member No.: 306
BIKE: F-series
YEAR: 2015
MILES: TRIKE

May not work worth a crap, but it sure do look pretty. You may want to check your fuel lines, filters, and pet cocks more than once every 11 years. (IMG:http://www.harleyshoptalk.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/whistling.gif) (IMG:http://www.harleyshoptalk.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/whistling.gif)

+Quote Post
Pancho
post Mar 31 2013, 11:10 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(92Flstf @ Mar 31 2013, 09:40 PM) *
AFAIK clear PVC is not good for fuel applications and high heat areas. PVC in of itself is not photoresistant either (sunlight/uv) . I'd prolly stick with good ol' real black fuel line. If you want pretty go for the braided covered stuff.

Thanks for the info, but black and braided chrome don't do it. I like to see the gas in the line if I need to trouble shoot. That's why many use clear.

Was looking for info Re. all PVC resistant to gas ?, no luck.

Was looking for info on line dimensions. No luck.

Mic'd it, 1/4 x 1/2.

This post has been edited by Pancho: Mar 31 2013, 11:13 PM

+Quote Post
Pancho
post Mar 31 2013, 11:16 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(screwball @ Mar 31 2013, 09:48 PM) *
May not work worth a crap, but it sure do look pretty. You may want to check your fuel lines, filters, and pet cocks more than once every 11 years. (IMG:http://www.harleyshoptalk.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/whistling.gif) (IMG:http://www.harleyshoptalk.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/whistling.gif)

Wow, what a brilliant, incisive reply, and so helpful, too.

+Quote Post
SeaHag
post Mar 31 2013, 11:51 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 224
AKA:Dragon Slayer
BIKE: FLTRI Road Glide EFI
YEAR: 2005
MILES: 47,000 +

Saw a harley burning in an intersection once and stopped to talk with the grieving owner. She said gas must have started leaking from her fuel line onto the hot engine and she went up in flames. I was close enough to see the cheap pvc gas line. I talked to some people who advised me they don't handle the heat as well; so I switched to the black rubber fuel line and started using see through in line fuel filters instead.

If you want to keep running that stuff, I'd probably make a habit of replacing the tubing every other year or so.

+Quote Post
screwball
post Apr 1 2013, 12:33 AM
Post #7

Group Icon

From: Santa Clarita, SoCal & Bullhead City, Az. OFFICIAL 2nd OLDEST MEMBER
Member No.: 306
YEAR: 2015
MILES: TRIKE

QUOTE(Pancho @ Mar 31 2013, 09:16 PM) *
Wow, what a brilliant, incisive reply, and so helpful, too.

Ya See Pancho, around here when we are making jokes, we put smilie faces behind our jokes, just like I did... twice! But hey, if you think that clear stuff looks bitchen, go for it. This guy thought so too! Frankly, I check my fuel lines (black rubber) fittings, and generally the whole bike a couple times a month. I surly wouldn't go on a bulletin board and show my complete ignorance by asking a stupid question about what fuel hose I should buy. Hell, if you can rebuild it you would think you would know what fuel line to use..... Oops, I forgot, you didn't.

Note: no smilie faces

Attached File  Boss_Hoss3.jpg ( 60.09k ) Number of downloads: 1

+Quote Post
Pancho
post Apr 1 2013, 01:00 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(screwball @ Apr 1 2013, 12:33 AM) *
Ya See Pancho, around here when we are making jokes, we put smilie faces behind our jokes, just like I did... twice! But hey, if you think that clear stuff looks bitchen, go for it. This guy thought so too! Frankly, I check my fuel lines (black rubber) fittings, and generally the whole bike a couple times a month. I surly wouldn't go on a bulletin board and show my complete ignorance by asking a stupid question about what fuel hose I should buy. Hell, if you can rebuild it you would think you would know what fuel line to use..... Oops, I forgot, you didn't.

Note: no smilie facesattachment=24565:Boss_Hoss3.jpg]

You're still no help. Others have, but you've got some odd agenda--some sort of a lecture circuit. I imagine you think your postings are "bitchen", and that your cartoon characters are some sort of information. Now your looking for some sort of cover by referencing others. Odd. Read the others' postings and take a lesson from them.

+Quote Post
Pancho
post Apr 1 2013, 01:02 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(SeaHag @ Mar 31 2013, 11:51 PM) *
Saw a harley burning in an intersection once and stopped to talk with the grieving owner. She said gas must have started leaking from her fuel line onto the hot engine and she went up in flames. I was close enough to see the cheap pvc gas line. I talked to some people who advised me they don't handle the heat as well; so I switched to the black rubber fuel line and started using see through in line fuel filters instead.

If you want to keep running that stuff, I'd probably make a habit of replacing the tubing every other year or so.

Good idea with the clear filters.

+Quote Post
92Flstf
post Apr 1 2013, 09:57 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

Member No.: 128

PVC in of itself is not heat/UV resistant. Lets talk water pipe (still relevant here) for an example. Regular PVC (white) is not hot water rated. Hence CPVC (tan stuff) is rated to be near heat (hot water) because of it's chlorinated (the first C of CPVC vs. PVC polyvinylchloride) additional chlorine added to the compound. Just like the Electrical PVC conduit is grey, it has added compounds to make it sunlight resistant. Most of the new PVC fencing and outdoor products now have additional compounds added to withstand weather and UV. Over the 20 years I've had my FB I have replaced my regular rubber fuel/oil line several times. As soon as you start to see hairline cracks on the outer covering ditch it. You will usually start to see them at the hose clamp as thats where they have the most stress.

+Quote Post
wholehog
post Apr 2 2013, 03:50 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

Member No.: 4

google SAE 30R9....it needs to be stamped on the line you use

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th August 2017 - 10:38 PM
Harley Shop Talk Established 05/05/05
Painting By: Dave Barnhouse / Hadley House Publishing, All Rights Reserved
HARLEY SHOP TALK IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH HARLEY-DAVIDSON®, INC.
HARLEY SHOP TALK: IF WE AIN'T TALKIN' HARLEYS, WE'RE TALKIN' $#*%!