Group Icon

Group: BOTM Winner's Circle
Member No.: 1,370
BIKE: FLHTCUI Ultra Classic Electra Glide EFI
YEAR: 2009
MILES: 20,000
MILES: 50,500

What model do you currently have?
I'm looking to get two units for half helmets and any adapters necessary. But I can't quite figure out what I need.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fgowi
post Mar 21 2015, 08:32 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,095
BIKE: FLTRSEI Screamin Eagle Road Glide
YEAR: 2001
MILES: 70,000
BIKE: ***** BAGGERS *****
YEAR: 1111
MILES: 1

I have the SPH - 10. Works independent of a helmet. I like the Sena. BUT!! Mine broke, under warranty. Plastic just snapped. I do not remember any, uh, provocation for the break.

File a claim in August of '14. Received a new unit in mid-March! First problem was I, yes, moi, didn't provide them with a tracking number. Nowhere in the RMA process was this called out. I emailed it to them and told them who, at their facility, had signed for MY PROPERTY.

I'll spare you some of the details. Suffice to say, their customer service is second to NONE at the bottom of the heap. Typically, you speak to a Stereotypical California bimbo who ooozes "cute and bubbly". At the same time she does NOT have the IQ off a house plant. Spells out exactly what she is going to do and then does precisely nothing. And, them it starts agains when you call back a month later!

Getting a replacement unit became an object lesson. I'm not sure how much I would have spent in legal fees to stick it in their collective ass. Know that if you ever have to deal with them you will want to shoot them or yourself! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/banghead.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/banghead.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/banghead.gif)

+Quote Post
screwball
post Mar 21 2015, 09:32 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

From: Santa Clarita, SoCal & Bullhead City, Az. OFFICIAL 2nd OLDEST MEMBER
Member No.: 306
BIKE: F-series
YEAR: 2015
MILES: TRIKE

WOW, sorry you had a problem. We have SMH-10s Second set, I also have the SPH 10. I got one to try, Vesta didn't like the way it felt so we went for the second set of SMH-10s. First set worked great for 5 years. Gen 1 didn't have replaceable batteries.

Not, about accessories and stuff. I ordered the accessory mounting bracket. The one that comes with the set has earphones that are PERMINANTLY attached to the mounting bracket. If you 1/2 helmet has side curtains you Velcro them there, or you use 'pockets' to hold the headphones. No real fidelity. With the accessory mounting bracket they supply a standard ear bud jack, you can plug in anything you want. In my full helmet I have a set of Sony Studio headsets. I can make my eyes bleed and not bother a soul. With our 1/2 helmets we are both using Koss ear buds. You can still hear sirens and horns, but again, you can make your eyes bleed and not a soul knows you are listening to The Polka Parade. Highly recommend the accessory brackets!!!

Vesta broke the mounting tang on her first set. Called SENA told them our tale of Woe. They gave me a return number and I had a new 'egg' in 5 days.

They Bluetooth to your phone or MP-3 player and run on a priority system. Intercom is first, telephone second, and music last. If you are riding along and want to talk to Silver, you just smack the "Jockey Knob" on the side of the helmet and the intercom turns off the music in both headsets. Either of you smack the knob again and music comes back on. If your music source is not 100 years old you can advance or replay the song. Intercom and music volumes are independent. We have left them on 9 hours playing music and the battery didn't run out!!!

One of the biggies we like is the BIG jog wheel. Summer with fingerless gloves, any intercom will work great. Winter with big thick gloves, the units with 3 or 4 buttons are a pain to find the right button. Can you tell I'm really happy with these units!!

BIG drawback. You can 'sync' with more than one rider, but you can not set up a conference call. 1 tap, rider #1, 2 taps, rider #2. and so on. Not a problem for us, Vesta and I usually ride by ourselves.

You can buy just the 'egg' for about 120 bucks and the accessory mounting bracket for about 30. The Koss headsets we use are about 15 bucks. HINT order the headsets with short cords (15 inches) if that is the route you go.

There, how is that for a sales pitch??

As a side, I convinced Big Ty on these, I was with him when he bought them at the River Run many moons ago.

+Quote Post
Blackcloud
post Mar 22 2015, 04:22 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

Thank you both.

+Quote Post
Blackcloud
post Mar 22 2015, 05:03 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

I don't want to rely on adhesive sticky stuff. That crap melts in the heat and falls off. I want it to clamp to the edge of the helmet, and I want the mic to be part of the housing (not a stick on (see comment about sticky stuff above), and I want to use ear buds because of using half helmets (no ear cups).
So, do I buy Part # SMH10D-10 (which is a two pack)? If so, is there something else we'll need?
Or do I buy 2 of Part # SMH10-M01 plus 2 of Part # SMH-A0305? Or more?
Or am I totally fucked up and looking at the wrong shit?
One of y'all give me a shopping list. You know what I want.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bike.gif)

This post has been edited by Blackcloud: Mar 22 2015, 05:04 PM

+Quote Post
T14B
post Mar 22 2015, 06:32 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 2,785
YEAR: 2005
MILES: not enough

Bruce failed to mention, that was the second time it was repaired/replaced under warranty. First time the left earpiece went dead. The first time took far less time but still far too long. They kept saying "it was on back order". Didn't give us any of the "paperwork" hassles they did the second time.

KEEP YOUR BOX, they won't cover it under warranty unless you ship it back in the original container!
Fortunately we bought it through Amazon so finding the receipt was easy.

+Quote Post
screwball
post Mar 22 2015, 09:22 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

Here is what I did.....

I bought 2 smh 10-MO1, just the 'egg. If you buy the kit you get a $40.00 mounting bracket you will not use

I bought 2 smh ao3o4 mounting clamps for ear buds. The mic is permanently attached to the mounting bracket

Through the SENA website they are $140.00 for the egg, and $39.95 for the clamp or 179.95 for the set times two is 359.90 for the two of you

Now, google up Revzilla

the 'egg is $134.96, the bracket is $29.96 for a total of $164.92 or $329.84 and FREE SHIPPING

We are just back from a 2 week, 1400 mile 'toot' around Arizona. the 'eggs' were used constantly to either talk or listen to music. I didn't even bother to turn them off at food or bathroom stops. If you don't take a computer with a USB bort you will need to take a charger. The 'egg' uses a standard micro USB. We usually leave them plugged in overnight. We carry a "kit" with us with a 4 port charger and assorted cords to charge phones, iPods, and the 'Eggs. We have had great luck with the units and the company for service.

I'd shop around to see if there are any other deals out there. Oh, these units are software driven, and can be updated if need be. I had to 'reboot' my egg once when it kept syncing to Vesta's iPod music instead of mine

Happy hunting!!

+Quote Post
Blackcloud
post Mar 22 2015, 10:16 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

Thanks again. I'll keep the box! Lol
Screwy, thanks for the part number confirmation. That helps a LOT!

I'll see if I can gather those parts "economically".

+Quote Post
Jarhead
post Mar 23 2015, 08:40 AM
Post #9

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,524
BIKE: FLHX Street Glide
MILES: Yes

QUOTE(Blackcloud @ Mar 22 2015, 03:03 PM) *
I don't want to rely on adhesive sticky stuff. That crap melts in the heat and falls off. I want it to clamp to the edge of the helmet, and I want the mic to be part of the housing (not a stick on (see comment about sticky stuff above), and I want to use ear buds because of using half helmets (no ear cups).
So, do I buy Part # SMH10D-10 (which is a two pack)? If so, is there something else we'll need?
Or do I buy 2 of Part # SMH10-M01 plus 2 of Part # SMH-A0305? Or more?
Or am I totally fucked up and looking at the wrong shit?
One of y'all give me a shopping list. You know what I want.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bike.gif)

Mark I have considered buying a system a hundred times and not carried through for the some of the same reasons your stuck, I've been to the web sights and looked at them in shops but I've not seen what I thought was a good working set up for a half helmet that had clear instructions and good reviews.

Please keep us updated on your purchase

+Quote Post
Blackcloud
post Mar 23 2015, 04:49 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

Jarhead, I don't remember "seeing" FGOWI's and T-14B's radios. But I did eyeball Screwball's and Vesta's. I think I'll go with the smh 10-MO1 (IMG:http://www.buysena.com/media/catalog/product/cache/2/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/m/smh10-m01_m.jpg)
and the smh ao3o5
(IMG:http://www.buysena.com/media/catalog/product/cache/2/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/m/smh-a0305-m.jpg) (2 each of everything).

I'm not buying anything yet. I want to make sure I'm not fuckin' up. This stuff ain't cheap, and I'm a tight wad.

Steve, are you sure you got the smh a03 04? That mic looks like the dreaded stick on kind. The smh a0305 looks built in.

+Quote Post
screwball
post Apr 2 2015, 09:20 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

Oops, copied down the wrong part number. The clamp is Sena SMH-A0303 Helmet Clamp Kit for Earbuds

+Quote Post
T14B
post Apr 2 2015, 09:32 PM
Post #12

Group Icon

Member No.: 2,785
YEAR: 2005
MILES: not enough

Just to clarify - Fgowi has a headset he uses for music and I think he can answer his phone.

T doesn't, too risky to put something on my head while riding. People might try to put other things on my head.

no smart-alack remarks here - we're talking about helmets.

This post has been edited by T14B: Apr 2 2015, 09:33 PM

+Quote Post
screwball
post Apr 2 2015, 11:48 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

QUOTE(T14B @ Apr 2 2015, 07:32 PM) *
Just to clarify - Fgowi has a headset he uses for music and I think he can answer his phone.

T doesn't, too risky to put something on my head while riding. People might try to put other things on my head.

That is why God invented tin foil (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

no smart-alack remarks here - we're talking about helmets.

+Quote Post
Jarhead
post Jul 28 2015, 08:20 PM
Post #14

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,524
BIKE: FLHX Street Glide
MILES: Yes

After a few years of kicking the can down the street I finely purchased, I have read and read about the subject and talked to endless riders and kept coming to the same conclusion if you want to hear clearly you have to go with a full faced helmet, I'm sure that that's a arguably statement but that's what I have concluded.

Today I purchased Kim and I full faced helmets and outfitted them with a Sema SMH5, tonight's test ride was better the I expected clear music clear phone and clear intercom and all easy enough for this old grunt to figure out the first time.
(IMG:http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz233/greg_hill1/F30AB5E0-357A-43CC-B0DE-22C0DC11A7C5.jpg)

It's been a long time since I've worn a full face helmet but for long trips with the wife I think the pluses out way the minuses

+Quote Post
Blackcloud
post Jul 28 2015, 08:47 PM
Post #15

Group Icon

I never did buy a pair of these things. I've procrastinated in the interest of being unwilling to part with funds.

+Quote Post
screwball
post Jul 29 2015, 02:22 PM
Post #16

Group Icon

We've always loved ours! That HUGE Jog Dial makes use very easy, especially in the winter with big gloves. Vesta has minimum feelings in her hands so the units with lots of buttons are out for her. Main reason we bought the original Sena units.

One of the drawbacks of the early units was the 'party line' setup. They work great for 2 people, when you add more the syncing gets a bit complicated. New units go back to the party line concept.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th August 2017 - 08:25 AM
Harley Shop Talk Established 05/05/05
Painting By: Dave Barnhouse / Hadley House Publishing, All Rights Reserved
HARLEY SHOP TALK IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH HARLEY-DAVIDSON®, INC.
HARLEY SHOP TALK: IF WE AIN'T TALKIN' HARLEYS, WE'RE TALKIN' $#*%!