Group: BOTM Winner's Circle
Member No.: 24
BIKE: FLHTI Electra Glide Standard EFI
YEAR: 2006
MILES: 22,400

Over the winter I purchased the legacy HD Cruise Control parts for installation on my '06 EGlide Standard.

If you live under a rock then you have absolutely no idea that the MoCo discontinued cruise kits for everything below '08. The only way to get it now is through some website on the net, that charges you about $800 for the entire kit or through Ebay and the dealer; who won't sell the actual cruise module.

I've been putting this off and yesterday got the itch. What a fuckin' nightmare...

Bought the module on eBay $119

parts: (IMG:http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p288/ordy_03/parts%20for%20cruise%20control%20img_zpsor0jilxp.png)

more parts: (IMG:http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p288/ordy_03/Cruise%20Control%20switch%20on%20ebay_zps6ys30kss.png)

more parts: cruise idle cable: (IMG:http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31ub42W4UmL.jpg)

Take left saddle bag off.
Take seat off.
Disconnect battery.
Take left side cover off.
Install cruise control module, with grommets and three nuts, to outside of left side battery case. (suppose to remove battery for this)
Run cruise cable on left side of bike in front of top engine stabilizer and to the induction module.
Connect cruise cable to induction module.
Remove right side handle bar controls.
Remove front fairing and windshield.
Remove idle cable.
install new cruise idle cable.
Remove inner fairing by removing ignition switch, two screws on sides of inner fairing housing.
Install new "Cruise" switch onto inner fairing.
Install new Set/Resume switch in new lower switch housing on right side of bike

Ok... This next part sucked big, big donkey cocks... snake new wires, from Set/Resume switch, inside my 12" Apes and then connect to right side Deutsch connector located under radio. Tried it without removing the radio and then finally removed the fucking thing and was able to snake a solid piece of 12 gauge wire through the hole in the middle of the handle bars and up to the hole in the handle bar tip. Attached wires to my 12 gauge wire and pulled.

Have never worked on Deutsch connectors before. I ordered three new terminals from the dealer and installed them onto the two wire that go to terminals 11 and 12 on the Deutsch. The orange and white wire was suppose to go to terminal 1 but that is occupied by an existing orange and white wire. I butt splice the orange/white wire's together since that color's usually power on Harleys. I go to insert my two terminals into sockets 11 & 12... wrong type of terminal contacts! The dealer was suppose to send me barrel style female contacts and he sent me open style. The Cocksucker!!! Just ordered some of the correct contacts from Amazon with free two day shipping for Prime customers. Should get the things Wednesday. Miss Radio Shack.

At his point I stopped. Guess I'll be bussing it to work this week... Son of a bitch....

Ride safe
Ordy
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jarhead
post May 30 2016, 06:01 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,524
BIKE: FLHX Street Glide
YEAR: 2015
MILES: Yes

Damn it seems like a pretty involve process, by far my favorite thing about my new streetglide is having cruise control.
Question for you Ordy with all your new found knowlage could you give break down on how the cruise control actually works?

+Quote Post
Blackcloud
post May 30 2016, 06:03 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,370
BIKE: FLHTCUI Ultra Classic Electra Glide EFI
YEAR: 2009
MILES: 20,000
MILES: 50,500

This is why I never fuck with that shit. To quote Detective Callahan, "a mans got to know his limitations".

+Quote Post
Ordy
post May 30 2016, 07:08 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

QUOTE(Blackcloud @ May 30 2016, 07:03 PM) *
This is why I never fuck with that shit. To quote Detective Callahan, "a mans got to know his limitations".

One of my favorite all time sayings BC....

+Quote Post
Ordy
post May 30 2016, 07:18 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

QUOTE(Jarhead @ May 30 2016, 07:01 PM) *
Damn it seems like a pretty involve process, by far my favorite thing about my new streetglide is having cruise control.
Question for you Ordy with all your new found knowlage could you give break down on how the cruise control actually works?

The Cruise Switch on fairing energizes cruise module.

Speed to above 30 miles an hour and push the SET switch on the right handlebar. The cruise module will then monitor the VSS (variable speed sensor) and will open and close the throttle on the induction unit to allow more or less air in, it will also monitor your brake, hand throttle, cruise power switch. Any of these things get activated and the module will discontinue cruise control. To resume, just speed and tap the Set/Resume switch and it will resume cruise.The idle cable has contacts that if there is a voltage drop across them the cruise module will end cruise control. All this stuff is to cause a ribbon cable to reel in and out of the cruise module and pull the throttle on the induction unit open...

Ride safe
Ordy

+Quote Post
Bamsambo
post May 30 2016, 08:39 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 65
BIKE: FLHRS Road King Custom
YEAR: 2004
MILES: 48Years

I put one of those Throttle Bosses on my bike, $9. Works pretty good.

+Quote Post
SeaHag
post May 31 2016, 01:28 AM
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 224
AKA:Dragon Slayer
BIKE: FLTRI Road Glide EFI
YEAR: 2005
MILES: 47,000 +

Wow...quite an ambitious project for a season already underway. Glad you were able to find the parts needed for a decent price. I love having cruise control and wouldn't want to go back to a bike without it.

+Quote Post
Jarhead
post May 31 2016, 06:26 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(Ordy @ May 30 2016, 05:18 PM) *
The Cruise Switch on fairing energizes cruise module.

Speed to above 30 miles an hour and push the SET switch on the right handlebar. The cruise module will then monitor the VSS (variable speed sensor) and will open and close the throttle on the induction unit to allow more or less air in, it will also monitor your brake, hand throttle, cruise power switch. Any of these things get activated and the module will discontinue cruise control. To resume, just speed and tap the Set/Resume switch and it will resume cruise.The idle cable has contacts that if there is a voltage drop across them the cruise module will end cruise control. All this stuff is to cause a ribbon cable to reel in and out of the cruise module and pull the throttle on the induction unit open...

Ride safe
Ordy

Great explanation, thanks

+Quote Post
wholehog
post May 31 2016, 07:33 AM
Post #9

Group Icon

Member No.: 4

watch your ass ordy....that cruise contol almost kilt me at least twice now....once going over the mountain with steve and cindy on Labor Day....I'll never forget it....not sayin I don't like it, just sayin

+Quote Post
Ordy
post Jun 1 2016, 07:26 AM
Post #10

Group Icon

QUOTE(wholehog @ May 31 2016, 08:33 AM) *
watch your ass ordy....that cruise contol almost kilt me at least twice now....once going over the mountain with steve and cindy on Labor Day....I'll never forget it....not sayin I don't like it, just sayin

Thanks Lou, will keep that in mind.

Still waiting on my parts, should get here today.

After installing the new set/resume switch on the handle bar control I was going to install my throttle/ idle cable when I realized that the lower right switch housing, that I bought from eBay, does not have the hole's to insert the tips of the throttle and idle cables through. Ordered new one from the dealer and will pick it up tomorrow. Fuckin' Ebay but how fuckin' stupid am I? You'd think I'd check that before installing the switch. And I was going by Sammy's mantra and taking it nice and slow and treating everything with kid gloves... measure twice, cut once....

Ride safe
ORdy

+Quote Post
OakR8R
post Jun 2 2016, 01:55 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

Member No.: 2
BIKE: FLHT Electra Glide Standard
MILES: 21,000

I know that a lot of folks like their cruise control but other than checking to see if it worked when I bought my bike, i don't use it. Just feels weird and I don't trust it.

+Quote Post
Ordy
post Jun 2 2016, 08:34 PM
Post #12

Group Icon

Got it installed.

Went to initialize it and set up the cruise cable lash and it wouldnt set. Opened the right hand control and found a pinched wire. Set it up and took the bike out for a spin. Works!!!!

With you Oak. Probably won't use it that often. I couldn't pass up tearing into the bike and installing it on the cheap....Also, good to have if I ever do need it...

Ride safe
Ordy

+Quote Post
Fgowi
post Jun 2 2016, 09:45 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,095
BIKE: FLTRSEI Screamin Eagle Road Glide
YEAR: 2001
MILES: 70,000
BIKE: ***** BAGGERS *****
YEAR: 1111
MILES: 1

I feel EXACTLY like Oak. Virtually never use it. Only time is trying to dig something our of my RG's flippy door.... which is reallu stupid!!!!

+Quote Post
screwball
post Jun 2 2016, 09:49 PM
Post #14

Group Icon

From: Santa Clarita, SoCal & Bullhead City, Az. OFFICIAL 2nd OLDEST MEMBER
Member No.: 306
BIKE: F-series
MILES: TRIKE
BIKE: F-series

Last 3 bikes/trikes came with it, never use it. I think I've used it 2 or 3 times in all the cars we have had. Just not big on auto-
pilot

+Quote Post
Blackcloud
post Jun 3 2016, 04:16 AM
Post #15

Group Icon

Around town, I don't use it. If I'm in a group, I don't use it. But if I'm leading on lengthy trips on flat and straight sections, I use it. I

+Quote Post
Jarhead
post Jun 3 2016, 07:03 AM
Post #16

I rarly if ever use mine around home but on a long road trip it is worth it's weight in gold, just being able to move and stretch my right arm is a welcome relief during a long ride.

+Quote Post
OakR8R
post Jun 3 2016, 06:44 PM
Post #17

Group Icon

Member No.: 2
BIKE: FLHT Electra Glide Standard
MILES: 21,000

QUOTE(Ordy @ Jun 2 2016, 07:34 PM) *
Got it installed.

Went to initialize it and set up the cruise cable lash and it wouldnt set. Opened the right hand control and found a pinched wire. Set it up and took the bike out for a spin. Works!!!!

With you Oak. Probably won't use it that often. I couldn't pass up tearing into the bike and installing it on the cheap....Also, good to have if I ever do need it...

Ride safe
Ordy

I know exactly where you are coming from. I added ultra gauges and street glide mirrors to my standard.

+Quote Post
wholehog
post Jun 5 2016, 09:34 AM
Post #18

Group Icon

Member No.: 4

ordy....more specifically the cruise control tends to overshoot its set point....force the bike into this riding configuration to try it out and see wnat I mean

you are in a wide upgrade sweeper fat, dumb, and happy on cruise holding your line....then all of a sudden cruise decides you are too slow and gives the bike a great big gulp of fuel....the resuklt can be enough to ruin the new pair of tighty whiteys you are wearing..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shocking.gif)

be sure cruise will cut off with either brake, the clutch, and rolling off the throttle

+Quote Post
Ordy
post Jun 5 2016, 10:02 AM
Post #19

Group Icon

QUOTE(wholehog @ Jun 5 2016, 10:34 AM) *
ordy....more specifically the cruise control tends to overshoot its set point....force the bike into this riding configuration to try it out and see wnat I mean

you are in a wide upgrade sweeper fat, dumb, and happy on cruise holding your line....then all of a sudden cruise decides you are too slow and gives the bike a great big gulp of fuel....the resuklt can be enough to ruin the new pair of tighty whiteys you are wearing..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shocking.gif)

be sure cruise will cut off with either brake, the clutch, and rolling off the throttle

Thank you for the heads up Lou.

Checked it out on the throttle roll off, a continuity test on two of the pins on the cruise connector, and tested the brake, throttle roll off, and clutch when i took it for a test run. All checked out. I'll have to remember that on the sweeper.

Ride safe
Ordy

+Quote Post
SeaHag
post Jun 6 2016, 12:06 AM
Post #20

Group Icon

Member No.: 224
AKA:Dragon Slayer
BIKE: FLTRI Road Glide EFI
YEAR: 2005
MILES: 47,000 +

I use the cruise control on my 2005 Roadglide ALL THE TIME. Never had an issue where it did anything other than what it was supposed to. Never has scared me. It accelerates up hills like a car's cruise and decelerates on the downhills. If the road gets twisty and interesting it stays disengaged while I dance the bike through the corners. Cruise keeps me from getting speeding tickets.

I wish more people leading group rides would use it when it's available too. One of my biggest pet peeves is a lot of 'slinky-motion' when people don't manage their throttle control.

+Quote Post
Blackcloud
post Jun 6 2016, 03:47 AM
Post #21

Group Icon

QUOTE(SeaHag @ Jun 6 2016, 12:06 AM) *
I wish more people leading group rides would use it when it's available too. One of my biggest pet peeves is a lot of 'slinky-motion' when people don't manage their throttle control.

Which is why I don't use it in groups unless I'm leading. It's one of my peeves too.

+Quote Post
Spurrs
post Jun 6 2016, 01:26 PM
Post #22

Group Icon

Member No.: 691
BIKE: FLTR Road Glide
YEAR: 2017
MILES: Many

QUOTE(SeaHag @ Jun 6 2016, 12:06 AM) *
I use the cruise control . . . ALL THE TIME. Never had an issue where it did anything other than what it was supposed to. Never has scared me. It accelerates up hills like a car's cruise and decelerates on the downhills. If the road gets twisty and interesting it stays disengaged while I dance the bike through the corners. Cruise keeps me from getting speeding tickets.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/stupid.gif)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd November 2017 - 06:54 PM
Harley Shop Talk Established 05/05/05
Painting By: Dave Barnhouse / Hadley House Publishing, All Rights Reserved
HARLEY SHOP TALK IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH HARLEY-DAVIDSON®, INC.
HARLEY SHOP TALK: IF WE AIN'T TALKIN' HARLEYS, WE'RE TALKIN' $#*%!