> Screwy electrical problem - 2002 Sporster XLH1200
GeneLewis
post Nov 7 2016, 08:47 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,892
YEAR: 2002
MILES: 28400

I'm a fairly savvy person when it comes to electrical and electronics but I'm really at my wit's end on this and would welcome anyone's assistance on this.
I bought this 2002 Sportster a few weeks ago. At the time I bought it, this problem did not exist. It showed up after I had owned it for a couple of weeks.
With the bike idling, I can turn on the left blinker and it works. If I rev the engine up, it stops blinking and stays on permanently. And, how these 2 are related baffles me but my speedometer is flaky. It comes and goes. Weird part is,
if I turn the left blinker on, the speedometer works as it should. Turn the left blinker off and it goes flaky again. I even observed at one point my speedometer trying to come and go in unison with my right blinker. First time yesterday that I saw the right blinker be a factor.
Sorry to be so wordy but bottom line is, I need suggestions/help.
What I have done up to this point:
Used contact cleaner on every plug I could find, including under the gas tank and seat and in the fuse panel area.
Looked for signs of an obvious pinched wire or loose ground wire.
Replaced the turn signal module.
I like the bike and got it for a very good price but, if I can't overcome this issue, I'm probably going to just sell it and move on to something else.
All help and suggestions welcomed. Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Blackcloud
post Nov 8 2016, 05:39 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: BOTM Winner's Circle
Member No.: 1,370
BIKE: FLHTCUI Ultra Classic Electra Glide EFI
YEAR: 2009
MILES: 20,000
MILES: 50,500

You've already replaced the TSM which was going to be my guess. Now I'd be looking for a short. Check your wiring harnesses thoroughly.

+Quote Post
SeaHag
post Nov 8 2016, 06:43 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 224
AKA:Dragon Slayer
BIKE: FLTRI Road Glide EFI
YEAR: 2005
MILES: 47,000 +

Are you running stock lighting? Or has the turn signals etc been upgraded to LED's? LED require the addition of a load equalizer to work with the bikes brain box. I had some goofy, but different symptoms before I added the load equalizer to my LED turn signals. The security indicator light in my speedo still comes on when I use my blinkers even though everything is working correctly; which is why I thought maybe your speedo/blinker problem might be related.

I've read a lot of tech stuff over the years and don't recall seeing behaviors like you detail here; so I'm hoping you figure it out and can share with us what the problem was.

+Quote Post
GeneLewis
post Nov 8 2016, 09:01 AM
Post #4

QUOTE(Blackcloud @ Nov 8 2016, 04:39 AM) *
You've already replaced the TSM which was going to be my guess. Now I'd be looking for a short. Check your wiring harnesses thoroughly.

I think you're right...Time to go through the wiring with a fine-toothed comb.

+Quote Post
GeneLewis
post Nov 8 2016, 09:04 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(SeaHag @ Nov 8 2016, 05:43 AM) *
Are you running stock lighting? Or has the turn signals etc been upgraded to LED's? LED require the addition of a load equalizer to work with the bikes brain box. I had some goofy, but different symptoms before I added the load equalizer to my LED turn signals. The security indicator light in my speedo still comes on when I use my blinkers even though everything is working correctly; which is why I thought maybe your speedo/blinker problem might be related.

I've read a lot of tech stuff over the years and don't recall seeing behaviors like you detail here; so I'm hoping you figure it out and can share with us what the problem was.

Stock lighting. I recall seeing people talk about adding a load equalizer when LED's are installed but doesn't apply in my case. I hope to get this resolved, either myself or by letting a service tech chase the problem. In any case, if it does get fixed, I will certainly let you know what the issue/fix was. Thanks for your input.

+Quote Post
GeneLewis
post Nov 18 2016, 02:16 PM
Post #6

I wanted to follow up and let those of you who are interested in this issue know what the fix was.
Having reached my wit's end chasing this problem, I took the Sportster in to Myers-Duren Harley Davidson in Tulsa.
They diagnosed the problem as a defective voltage regulator. The regulator, when the engine was revved up, was pumping out 17 volts, driving the electronic circuitry nuts. I had them install a new voltage regulator and my left blinker and my speedometer are working flawlessly. To say that I'm now a happy camper would be quite accurate.
Happy and safe rides to all. Gene

+Quote Post
Blackcloud
post Nov 18 2016, 04:44 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,370
BIKE: FLHTCUI Ultra Classic Electra Glide EFI
YEAR: 2009
MILES: 20,000
MILES: 50,500

Thanks for the follow-up. It's a strange thing but if it fixed it, it fixed it.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th December 2017 - 11:46 AM
Harley Shop Talk Established 05/05/05
Painting By: Dave Barnhouse / Hadley House Publishing, All Rights Reserved
HARLEY SHOP TALK IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH HARLEY-DAVIDSON®, INC.
HARLEY SHOP TALK: IF WE AIN'T TALKIN' HARLEYS, WE'RE TALKIN' $#*%!