Post #1

Group Icon

Group: BOTM Winner's Circle
Member No.: 224
AKA:Dragon Slayer
BIKE: FLTRI Road Glide EFI
YEAR: 2005
MILES: 47,000 +

Sara and I are hoping to host next year in Minnesota. Plans are in the beginning stages. I've been approved for time off work for the last two weeks of July 2016. The rally will be held one of those two weeks depending on a member vote of likely attendees. Because weather in northern Minnesota is typically quite a bit cooler, we thought it best to pick a typically warm/hot month. We also thought a late July rally may lend itself to a stop in Sturgis for those who may be traveling back in that direction.

Right now I'd say early arrivals there on Wednesday can look forward to the best of our local routes around Mankato in southern Minnesota...roughly 150 mile day. Then Thursday the group rides north together into the wilderness where we hope to secure a large cabin lodge similar to what we had in the Hocking Hills of Ohio back in 2011. Friday/Saturday group rides and hanging out...maybe get to see the northern lights at night while listening to wolves howl...and Sunday everybody leaves after breakfast. bike.gif

We've got a lot of homework to do, but we have had a couple/few years to think about this and we've been to enough of these to know what works and what doesn't...so hopefully we can put on a class act and get some of our favorite regulars to show up with a few newbies.

So I know it's early, but WHO THINKS THEY'RE IN FOR THIS ONE?

PS: As Buck & Dot and Spurrs are all requesting the last week of July, it's going to take some special reason for Sara and I NOT to choose that week for the rally. Everyone who knows them, wants them to attend and will understand. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bike.gif) Sara is already looking into lodging accommodations for a group of 16 to 24.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Spurrs
post Jul 27 2015, 06:11 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Member No.: 691
BIKE: FLTR Road Glide
YEAR: 2017
MILES: Many

I'm in! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

+Quote Post
Night Rider
post Jul 27 2015, 07:28 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 989
BIKE: FLHT Electra Glide Standard
MILES: 50000

I'm in, of course ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerbang1.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

+Quote Post
LoudnProud
post Jul 27 2015, 09:28 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 31
BIKE: FLSTCI Heritage Classic EFI
YEAR: 2003
MILES: 100100

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif)

Last week is fine... We'll plan on getting there Wednesday the 27th....

Love the ample time to plan and get the ducks all in a roll....

Thanks again, Bro....

+Quote Post
MNHOG
post Jul 27 2015, 07:24 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 515
BIKE: FLHRCI Road King Classic EFI
YEAR: 2008
MILES: 30K

Huh. Might finally have to make one of these since it's in my backyard.

+Quote Post
SeaHag
post Jul 28 2015, 12:02 AM
Post #6

Group Icon

QUOTE(MNHOG @ Jul 27 2015, 07:24 PM) *
Huh. Might finally have to make one of these since it's in my backyard.

I haven't had much of a chance to get up north motorcycling; so I could really use some help coming up with the scenic ride routes for Friday Saturday.

If you've got some loops you like, please submit them to me and I'll try to fit them in. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bike.gif)

+Quote Post
Sick_Puppy
post Jul 28 2015, 11:19 AM
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 52
AKA:HST Spiritual Advisor
BIKE: FXSTS Springer Softail
YEAR: 1984
MILES: 220251

I've run Rt 2 from Duluth/Superior to Grand Forks. You going further north?

+Quote Post
SeaHag
post Jul 29 2015, 02:51 AM
Post #8

Group Icon

QUOTE(Sick_Puppy @ Jul 28 2015, 11:19 AM) *
I've run Rt 2 from Duluth/Superior to Grand Forks. You going further north?

One of the day's rides will run up the coast of Superior's 'inland sea' on 61, then run up the Gunflint Trail before doubling back. The rest is up in the air at this point.

Here's a description of the Gunflint route:

Gunflint Trail National Scenic Byway
The Gunflint Trail National Scenic Byway is a two-lane paved road. It meanders from the north shore of Lake Superior through 57 miles of beautiful boreal forest and glacier-dug lakes to the banks of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness/BWCAW at Saganaga Lake.

The Trail and surrounding area have a rich history that includes fur trading (this is voyageur country), Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camps, and colorful pioneers.

The Gunflint Trail National Scenic Byway is famous for moose sightings and for birding. In fact, the entire Superior National Forest is designated as a Globally Important Birding Area by the American Birding Conservancy.

The Laurentian Divide—the continental divide for water flowage—crosses the Trail. You can hike over some of the oldest exposed rock on Earth.

And the North Shore Drive:
Beginning at Canal Park in Duluth, Minnesota's North Shore Scenic Drive is a journey through an unspoiled wilderness that kisses the sweeping shoreline of the world's largest freshwater lake. The breathtaking cliffs and beaches of Lake Superior's beautiful North Shore are bordered by the Sawtooth Mountains and thousands of acres of pine, aspen and birch trees. Rivers and streams make their rocky way to the lake, forging dazzling waterfalls along the way. Lighthouses recall the awesome power of the mighty lake, and dozens of trails allow visitors to experience the North Shore's natural beauty up close. Friendly communities are home to cultural and historic museums and exhibits, as well as unique shopping, dining and lodging. You may wish to drive slowly and stop often, as the North Shore Scenic Drive reaches its destination at Grand Portage all too soon!

http://www.superiorbyways.com/routes/north...re-scenic-drive
More info: http://www.visitcookcounty.com/communities/gunflint-trail/

+Quote Post
SeaHag
post Jul 29 2015, 03:03 AM
Post #9

Group Icon

Alternatively, if the Gunflint trail is too far north to make an easy day ride from our eventual lodging, there is also Minnesota state route 1 which is further south and is described as such:

Rider Comments:

Lots of twisty curves. Many scenic places to stop. - Rider from New Hope, MN (11/15/13)
A GREAT stretch of road! If you start out in Silver Bay the ride gets better and better the closer you get to Ely. Ely is a great little town, good places to eat, places to shop. A nice place to take a break. We road on a windy rainy day but it was still a very nice ride. If you're riding through Northern Minnesota you need to give this one a try. - LP (12/18/09)
We rode this in October and it is beautiful. There are a couple of "known" moose crossing trails a little northwest of Isabella, so ride with care. Had lunch and gassed up in Ely for our ride back. We would highly recommend it if you're in the area. - Rod & Cathy (4/2/09)
Very scenic and lots of tight turns up near Ely. Just watch out for the wildlife as there are moose in the area. Near the lake can be really cool in spring and early summer. Dress accordingly. Rode this ride in Summer of 2007. They were still working on the resurfacing near Ely. The rest of the road is in good blacktopped shape with very few potholes or cracks. - 'Catfish' (1/25/08)

https://www.google.com/maps?f=d&source=....334595&z=8

+Quote Post
LoudnProud
post Jul 30 2015, 09:45 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

That sounds great, Bro.....

Don't stress too much.....

We'll get shit figured out after a couple of Safety Meetings.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Can't wait to see you, Fucker....

+Quote Post
Night Rider
post Jul 31 2015, 12:35 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

That sounds great, Bro.....

Don't stress too much.....

We'll get shit figured out after a couple of Safety Meetings.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Can't wait to see you, Fucker....

+Quote Post
SeaHag
post Jul 31 2015, 01:08 PM
Post #12

Group Icon

Can't wait to see you fuckers either! Let's make next year's rally twice as great since we'll all have waited twice as long to get together. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bike.gif)

+Quote Post
Buck
post Jul 31 2015, 05:03 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

Member No.: 55
YEAR: 2004
MILES: 63000

.........can we stop at Gooseberry Falls?

+Quote Post
LoudnProud
post Jul 31 2015, 05:59 PM
Post #14

Group Icon

Sounds like more Safety Meetings will be needed.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Adli
post Aug 3 2015, 06:18 AM
Post #15

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,698
YEAR: 2012
MILES: 18000

[code][/code]As stated in the previous thread I'M IN 👍😜. I'm already doing the math: safety x participants + time [squared] divided by......FUCK IT. I'll have plenty of materials 👷🏻😎. The way this is going, I don't think getting people to show up will be a problem, getting us to leave might be a different story. I'm practicing my safety speech right now just to be sure I've got things handled. Really looking forward to seeing you fuckers again.
I'm heading to Annamosa the w/e of Labor Day and then down to Springfield for the Mile if anyone is interested in hooking up in route just hit me up with a email.

+Quote Post
Spurrs
post Aug 3 2015, 08:23 AM
Post #16

Group Icon

Put me as a maybe, Gary. Might be in the Quad Cities that weekend . . . 50/50 right now.

+Quote Post
SeaHag
post Aug 4 2015, 12:39 AM
Post #17

Group Icon

QUOTE(Buck @ Jul 31 2015, 05:03 PM) *
.........can we stop at Gooseberry Falls?

Absolutely Buck...I love that park and I hoped a few of the members would be willing to hike a little to some of the beautiful waterfalls.

QUOTE(LoudnProud @ Jul 31 2015, 05:59 PM) *
Sounds like more Safety Meetings will be needed.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

The more the merrier I say. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/doobie.gif)

QUOTE(Adli @ Aug 3 2015, 06:18 AM) *
[code][/code]As stated in the previous thread I'M IN 👍😜. I'm already doing the math: safety x participants + time [squared] divided by......FUCK IT. I'll have plenty of materials 👷🏻😎. The way this is going, I don't think getting people to show up will be a problem, getting us to leave might be a different story. I'm practicing my safety speech right now just to be sure I've got things handled. Really looking forward to seeing you fuckers again.
I'm heading to Annamosa the w/e of Labor Day and then down to Springfield for the Mile if anyone is interested in hooking up in route just hit me up with a email.

I'll get back to you about Labor Day...but Love your enthusiasm for this next rally.

So Sara's made contact with the owners of this place and gotten a rate quote. Thought we'd post up the link here and see if this looks suitable for this bunch of rabble rousers. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

http://www.vrbo.com/493042?utm_campaign=VR...tm_medium=email

Feedback???

+Quote Post
Buck
post Aug 4 2015, 05:38 AM
Post #18

Group Icon

Member No.: 55
YEAR: 2004
MILES: 63000

Labor day is probably out for us since we will be going to Tomahawk the weekend of the 16th.

Tomahawk

+Quote Post
dot
post Aug 4 2015, 07:06 AM
Post #19

Group Icon

Member No.: 766

the house looks fabulous Clay and Sara!!!

+Quote Post
Night Rider
post Aug 4 2015, 07:39 AM
Post #20

Group Icon

hmmmm 4 Bedroom house that sleeps 16 ?!?!?!?! what kind of party is this going to be???

+Quote Post
Spurrs
post Aug 4 2015, 08:28 AM
Post #21

Group Icon

QUOTE(Night Rider @ Aug 4 2015, 07:39 AM) *
hmmmm 4 Bedroom house that sleeps 16 ?!?!?!?! what kind of party is this going to be???

Maybe . . . the best kind?

+Quote Post
Adli
post Aug 4 2015, 09:17 AM
Post #22

Great job finding this place! Beautiful accommodations, beautiful scenery, decent pricing, it's a win win win 👍😊. Once everyone decides on this, just say the word and I'll send you guys a check for my share of the deposit/cost. Put me down for cot space in the garage, ask Nightrider about my snoring, you guys don't want me in the house, plus I'm sure this place has a strict no smoking policy, and well......you know. If we do go with this place, I'd be interested in finding out if there is a shooting range in the area.

+Quote Post
LoudnProud
post Aug 4 2015, 09:45 PM
Post #23

Group Icon

Looks Great!!!!!

What's the next step????

What do you have to do to get it reserved???

Do we need to send dinero now???

Or get confirmation from all attending???

Just let us know, Bro....

I'm not sure about the hiking... I may hang back and watch the beer... Uh, I mean the bikes... :-)

+Quote Post
SeaHag
post Aug 5 2015, 12:07 AM
Post #24

Group Icon

QUOTE(Night Rider @ Aug 4 2015, 07:39 AM) *

Yeah, well we kinda figured it would be tough to find a place with separate rooms for everybody; but if we go this route, or something similar, we'll likely employ some air mattresses strategically through the home like what happens at HST central HQ. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) I wouldn't think it'd matter to you unless Alissa is thinking she may join you again for this one. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bike.gif) That bunk room looks nice and cozy for you Tom, Gary and Bill. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif)

+Quote Post
Spurrs
post Aug 5 2015, 12:26 PM
Post #25

Group Icon

I just wanna say this about that . . . this Night Rider character snores like a motherfucker!

+Quote Post
SeaHag
post Aug 6 2015, 01:18 AM
Post #26

Group Icon

QUOTE(Spurrs @ Aug 5 2015, 12:26 PM) *
I just wanna say this about that . . . this Night Rider character snores like a motherfucker!

So bulk earplugs will be neccessary???? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) Actually Mike isn't too bad a snorer...I don't recall any issues going to California or back with him...so his brother Gary must have gotten the worst of that. Zip on the other hand, you'll need protection for. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hysterical.gif)

Sara is still combing the interwebs trying to see if there is something more suitable to our size group available. She'd rather have someplace nice like this all together than to have us all in separate hotel rooms.

Sandra Gall has said she's in and so is her awesome daughter Kim Taylor who has offered up her culinary skills to prepare food for our group. If you haven't had the pleasure of meeting her, Kim is a graduate of some culinary school on top of her many other talents. So it's good we have some single riders coming to offer up some back seat space for the tours. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bike.gif)

Hey Ted, how bout you hit me up with some of your favorite roads up that way?...I hope to be riding up that way in a couple months and I'd like to check them out.

+Quote Post
Sick_Puppy
post Aug 6 2015, 06:13 AM
Post #27

Group Icon

Where is this place? Near Duluth?

+Quote Post
SeaHag
post Aug 6 2015, 06:16 AM
Post #28

Group Icon

QUOTE(Sick_Puppy @ Aug 6 2015, 06:13 AM) *
Where is this place? Near Duluth?

The one I linked to above is in the Biwabik area about 45 minutes north of Duluth I believe.

+Quote Post
Night Rider
post Aug 6 2015, 08:43 AM
Post #29

Group Icon

QUOTE(SeaHag @ Aug 5 2015, 12:07 AM) *
Yeah, well we kinda figured it would be tough to find a place with separate rooms for everybody; but if we go this route, or something similar, we'll likely employ some air mattresses strategically through the home like what happens at HST central HQ. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) I wouldn't think it'd matter to you unless Alisa is thinking she may join you again for this one. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bike.gif) That bunk room looks nice and cozy for you Tom, Gary and Bill. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif)

Actually talking about this yesterday Alisa said she might just drive there and attend ... cuz she knows that my route there will not be direct ...

How about Mrs Spurrs shows up for this one???? I am throwing the challenge out the ... let's get the "sig others" to attend ...

+Quote Post
Sick_Puppy
post Aug 6 2015, 10:40 AM
Post #30

Group Icon

Goody, I can take the UP route there as there is some places I've passed by in the past and want to check out further.

Assume I should arrange for some fortified fruit juice for the evening refreshments?

+Quote Post
LoudnProud
post Aug 6 2015, 05:55 PM
Post #31

Group Icon

Might need to pack extra, Tom

This sounds like it's going to be a Great Get Together.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerbang1.gif)

+Quote Post
LoudnProud
post Aug 6 2015, 06:58 PM
Post #32

Group Icon

One Large Gathering Place or Cabins within Stumbling Distance of each other has always worked out the best in the past... IMHO

At the end of the night no one has to worry about riding back to their rooms etc...

I think the air matress idea would work well too....

You know that at the end of the day none of us are going to be picky.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

This post has been edited by LoudnProud: Aug 6 2015, 07:01 PM

+Quote Post
MNHOG
post Aug 6 2015, 07:53 PM
Post #33

Group Icon

I'll give some thought to some routes. Still recovering from a 12 hour push home from Sturgis. Gettin to effin old for this shit.

+Quote Post
Night Rider
post Aug 7 2015, 09:08 AM
Post #34

Group Icon

QUOTE(MNHOG @ Aug 6 2015, 07:53 PM) *
I'll give some thought to some routes. Still recovering from a 12 hour push home from Sturgis. Gettin to effin old for this shit.

hmmm ... 12 hours sounds like a good full day of riding ... 750 miles?

+Quote Post
MNHOG
post Aug 9 2015, 09:29 AM
Post #35

Group Icon

650 pulling a trailer. was only getting 140 miles a tank. A few extra stops to walk off this tired old ass. But riding the hills was awesome as always. Very busy out there but headed out before most of the hoards arrived.

+Quote Post
SeaHag
post Aug 11 2015, 12:08 AM
Post #36

Group Icon

QUOTE(Sick_Puppy @ Aug 6 2015, 10:40 AM) *
Goody, I can take the UP route there as there is some places I've passed by in the past and want to check out further.

Assume I should arrange for some fortified fruit juice for the evening refreshments?

My favorite was the peach you brought to California. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yes.gif)

+Quote Post
LoudnProud
post Aug 11 2015, 06:17 PM
Post #37

Group Icon

QUOTE(SeaHag @ Aug 11 2015, 12:08 AM) *
My favorite was the peach you brought to California. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yes.gif)

Yep, That would have my vote too.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif)

+Quote Post
SeaHag
post Aug 18 2015, 05:55 AM
Post #38

Group Icon

So Sara found this place as well. I don't like it as much, but it looks like it could sleep a few more people than the other. It does have the benefit of being right on the big Lake Superior...but we'd also have to travel damn near to Canada to get there that first day as Lutsen Minnesota is quite a ways up the North Shore.

http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p145553vb#calendar

+Quote Post
Adli
post Aug 18 2015, 06:16 AM
Post #39

I'd vote for the other choice, this one looks pretty "lived in". Plus, it didn't appear to have much of a garage or covered parking for the scoots. The views on the other hand look to be spectacular. Just my .02😇

+Quote Post
Sick_Puppy
post Aug 18 2015, 01:07 PM
Post #40

Group Icon

I like.....appears ~100 miles north of Duluth.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 09:40 PM
Harley Shop Talk Established 05/05/05
Painting By: Dave Barnhouse / Hadley House Publishing, All Rights Reserved
HARLEY SHOP TALK IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH HARLEY-DAVIDSON®, INC.
HARLEY SHOP TALK: IF WE AIN'T TALKIN' HARLEYS, WE'RE TALKIN' $#*%!