HARLEY SHOP TALK

Often Imitated, Never Duplicated

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rear saddle bag bolt in fender, misaligned bolt hole in fender?
ilikefreebacon
post Apr 20 2010, 11:41 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,830
BIKE: XL1200C Sportster 1200 Custom
YEAR: 2002
MILES: 4890

Hello all, first time here, after dreaming of getting a Harley for 20 years I finally decided it was time. I bought a 2002 1200xlc that came with the sissy bar. I removed the very back bolt that holds the sissy bar and the saddle bag guard to the rear fender. However I am unable to align the fender correctly to get the bolt back in. I have read through some posts and some people suggested to lift the bike which will allow the rear tire to drop some and help align the holes. Unfortunately I am having no luck, even after having a friend help me. Any suggestions?

Thanks for any input.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Spurrs
post Apr 21 2010, 06:27 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: BOTM Winner's Circle
Member No.: 691
BIKE: FLTR Road Glide
YEAR: 2017
MILES: Many

I helped a guy put a fender back on his Sporty a couple weeks ago. We had it on a lift, so the alignment wasn't a problem, but it still was a bit of work.

This post has been edited by Spurrs: Apr 21 2010, 06:28 AM

+Quote Post
r4fthrs
post Apr 21 2010, 06:55 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 3,321
YEAR: 2007
MILES: 50,000+

I have never removed my fender,so I am of no help. There is another forum I frequent that is specifically for Sportsters and they have a lot of tech help http://xlforum.net/vbportal/modules/Jig/index.php so you might look there as well. Good luck.

+Quote Post
ErnieS
post Apr 21 2010, 07:39 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 104
BIKE: FLHPI Road King police model EFI
YEAR: 2004
MILES: 49,000

Seems like I had that problem on the wife's sporty when I put bags on it. As I remember, I put it on the lift and took the weight off the rear suspension and then removed both upper shock bolts. You may have to loosen the other fender strut bolts to get the last one in, but it should go together without much problem.

+Quote Post
wholehog
post Apr 21 2010, 11:34 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 4

I think Ernie has the idea with the shock bolts so the swing arm drops lower for more clearance....welcoem aboard

+Quote Post
LoudnProud
post Apr 21 2010, 11:48 AM
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 31
BIKE: FLSTCI Heritage Classic EFI
YEAR: 2003
MILES: 100100

ilikefreebacon??? (IMG:http://www.harleyshoptalk.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/hysterical.gif)

What's the story behind the name???

Anyway, Welcome to Harley Shop Talk... (IMG:http://www.harleyshoptalk.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/cheers.gif)

Congratulations on buying your first Harley and Good Luck with getting the bolt back in I agree with these guys you'll probably have to loosen the shocks to get the swingarm to drop enough to line everything up.

Let us know how it goes.

+Quote Post
ilikefreebacon
post Apr 21 2010, 11:06 PM
Post #7

Thanks for the input, will see what I can do this weekend if it doesnt rain like they say.

The name came about from a few things... I was looking for a good email address and ilikebacon was used, so I thought whats better than bacon, nothing unless its free! Worked out to be a good user name as well, no one ever forgets it.

+Quote Post
ilikefreebacon
post Apr 22 2010, 06:45 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(ErnieS @ Apr 21 2010, 08:39 AM) *
Seems like I had that problem on the wife's sporty when I put bags on it. As I remember, I put it on the lift and took the weight off the rear suspension and then removed both upper shock bolts. You may have to loosen the other fender strut bolts to get the last one in, but it should go together without much problem.

ErnieS...When you took out the upper shock bolts... is it easy enough to get them back in on your own? I am new to all of this, I dont want to get it all apart then realize I am unable to get the bolts back in because of not having all the proper tools etc. I have a lift but it tends to rock a little front to back so I am a bit hesitant to put too much force on anything with the fear of dropping it.

This post has been edited by ilikefreebacon: Apr 22 2010, 06:45 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd September 2017 - 12:35 AM
Harley Shop Talk Established 05/05/05
Painting By: Dave Barnhouse / Hadley House Publishing, All Rights Reserved
HARLEY SHOP TALK IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH HARLEY-DAVIDSON®, INC.
HARLEY SHOP TALK: IF WE AIN'T TALKIN' HARLEYS, WE'RE TALKIN' $#*%!