Member No.: 24
BIKE: FLHTI Electra Glide Standard EFI
YEAR: 2006
MILES: 22,400

I've been playing with shit again.

Mikey sold me the Eglide with an awesome sound system. Sony Marine head unit; I can connect and stow my iPod inside the unit, it has a front Aux connection, connection for HD Radio or Sirius, but no bluetooth. He also spent dime on a Soundstream Nano amp and Hertz HCX 165 speakers. The sound is good. The FM reception blows. He had installed a powered antenna, about the size of a snickers bar, inside the fairing. I've gone on line and researched the crap out of this and most people who own this antenna swear by it. I don't see it.

I purchased a used HD tuner, that I installed in my saddlebag, hoping that a: my reception would improve, b: I can get more channels on the cheap without having to pay for Sirius. Reception was perfect when I was not moving. It became useless as I rolled. I ended up pulling the HD Radio and digging my old Sirius receiver from the box of shit I'll never use but keep because, well shit, we paid $200 for that Blackberry phone! The Sony head unit accepts a connection for satellite radio but not without having to buy a small component that will allow connection to it. They call it Sony Sirius Connect. Set me back $40.00 on eBay. I connected the unit, re-subcribed for six months of Sirius and turned it on. Man does the Sirius sound quality suck big, big donkey cocks. Upon further research I'm not the only one who thinks this. Seems that most Sirius channels offer stations with sound quality that is worse than standard MP3. If you're not aware MP3 sound quality is not CD sound quality. If you take your CD's and rip them to your PC using MP3 as the codec you're compressing the file and in the process throwing away a lot of information about the file. Information that your ears can hear if you compared the two. I ripped most of my CD's to MP3. Recently, I've been re-ripping them piece meal to ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec). There's another lossless codec called FLAC but I uses ALAC because I live in the Apple universe and ALAC is compatible with iTunes. FlAC isn't. But I digress. Most stations on Sirius are unlistenable at the higher volumes I listen to in order to hear over my awesome Rhinehart mufflers. Talk radio is good though as is the comedy channels and sports channels. But for music my golden, slowly fading, ears are having a problem.

For those of you that have installed aftermarket units in your fairings, what has your experience been with your antenna's? I'm leaning toward ripping out the powered antenna and installing a whip to the back of the bike.

One more thing; Soundstream Picasso Nano amps. Awesome!!! Mikey had this installed. It can accommodate four speakers at 65 Watts per channel but you can also bridge the rear and the front channels and send 160 watts to the front speakers, if like me you're not intending to install speakers in your saddlebags. What can I say? Really clear crisp sound from the Hertz speakers. Man those speakers rock!

I solved the bluetooth dilemma by installing and wiring a four pole double throw micro switch to the fairing and three 3.5 mm jacks. One next to the Sony head unit, to mitigate wires hanging from the front of the fairing, and two behind my GPS, which I have mounted on the upper left corner of the fairing. If I have my GPS going I can hit the switch to the left and the sound comes out of my speakers. If my phone is connect to the cradle I installed for it I can access it by flipping the switch to the right and hear it from the bikes speakers. I know I could have installed a bluetooth receiver instead of spending a few hours soldering wires to a micro switch and three 3.5 mm jacks but this seemed a better way to go for me.

Ride safe
Ordy
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sick_Puppy
post Jul 15 2016, 07:08 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: BOTM Winner's Circle
Member No.: 52
AKA:HST Spiritual Advisor
BIKE: FXSTS Springer Softail
YEAR: 1984
MILES: 220251

Never had a sound system on my motorcycle, just the sound of the engine and the wind to listen to!

+Quote Post
Ordy
post Jul 15 2016, 08:39 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

QUOTE(Sick_Puppy @ Jul 15 2016, 08:08 AM) *
Never had a sound system on my motorcycle, just the sound of the engine and the wind to listen to!

Neither did I until i bought the bagger. Now I get the choice. Actually-choices.

Ride safe
Ordy

+Quote Post
LoudnProud
post Jul 15 2016, 12:18 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 31
BIKE: FLSTCI Heritage Classic EFI
YEAR: 2003
MILES: 100100

I just listen to the ringing in my ears...

It drowns out the "Slow Down" noise coming from the back seat... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hysterical.gif)

+Quote Post
Adli
post Jul 15 2016, 01:23 PM
Post #5

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,698
BIKE: FLTR Road Glide
YEAR: 2012
MILES: 18000

I love having a loud stereo, it helps drown out the voices in my head that are constantly asking "can you hear me now". The funny thing is how pissed they get when I ignore them.

+Quote Post
Ordy
post Jul 15 2016, 03:40 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

QUOTE(Adli @ Jul 15 2016, 02:23 PM) *
I love having a loud stereo, it helps drown out the voices in my head that are constantly asking "can you hear me now". The funny thing is how pissed they get when I ignore them.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/hysterical.gif)

Wasn't "Voices inside my head" a song by The Police?

Ride safe
Ordy

+Quote Post
Ordy
post Jul 15 2016, 03:45 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

QUOTE(LoudnProud @ Jul 15 2016, 01:18 PM) *
I just listen to the ringing in my ears...

It drowns out the "Slow Down" noise coming from the back seat... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hysterical.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/hysterical.gif)

Poor Anita...

Ride safe
Ordy

+Quote Post
Jarhead
post Jul 15 2016, 04:18 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 5,524
BIKE: FLHX Street Glide
YEAR: 2015
MILES: Yes

Love! love! love! the stereo on my SG, I rode ear buds before but now no need. I am quite annoyed by the fact that I have to wire in and buy a HD headset to use some of my functions though, also as I understand it I can't have a second jack for pasanger use.

+Quote Post
screwball
post Jul 15 2016, 05:50 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

From: Santa Clarita, SoCal & Bullhead City, Az. OFFICIAL 2nd OLDEST MEMBER
Member No.: 306
BIKE: F-series
MILES: TRIKE

When I bought my E-Glide Standard it didn't have a radio, the 'hole' was a glove compartment. I installed a Jensen super duper in the space and some Bose Speakers
in the fairing. Never really liked the sound. California and Nevada have helmet laws, Soooo I bought a pair of Sony Studio headphones. Holy Decibels did they sound
great, I just hate wires. Found a Clear Sound stereo Bluetooth transmitter. A tad pricy, but they would work while charging, cheapo units wouldn't. Also bought a
Clear Sound Bluetooth receiver. Velcro'd the receiver to the helmet, took the head strap off the headphones and mounted them in the ear pockets of the helmet. I
can listen to Exuma loud enough to make my ears bleed and not bother a soul.

My Trike doesn't have a place for a radio, so I have an iPod 'bluetoothed' to my Sena communicator. Instead of the headphones I use Koss ear buds. When I ride
solo I use the Bluetooth receiver I had on my old helmet with earbuds. The iPad has an equalizer and the earbuds tend to be a bit 'basey'

Rule #1 when listening to '50s Doo Wap music through ear buds, Don't sing the base line. People think you are crazy and a butterfly tastes terrible at 60mph.

+Quote Post
Blackcloud
post Jul 15 2016, 06:17 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,370
BIKE: FLHTCUI Ultra Classic Electra Glide EFI
YEAR: 2009
MILES: 20,000
MILES: 50,500

My Ultra came with the factory HD radio. It can hold 1 CD. It will play MP3's form the CD. If I were take the time to make my own discs I can put a lot of music on one CD if I burn them as MP3s), but, it seems to skip. Yeah, just like an album. It skips.
It has an aux input for an external player, but messing with gadgets while riding just isn't worth the hassle.
The reception isn't that good for radio. Stations that should be strong aren't. But I am not looking to upgrade. It's a motorcycle. Having any sort of jams is a bonus, not a requirement.

I'm still stewing on getting those bike to bike intercoms. I think they'd be handy since we both ride our own (like a few of you), but not sure I want to drop the coin for them. My bike has the CB but no one else does (that I ride with). So, it doesn't do me any good.

+Quote Post
Ordy
post Jul 15 2016, 09:09 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

QUOTE(Blackcloud @ Jul 15 2016, 07:17 PM) *
My Ultra came with the factory HD radio. It can hold 1 CD. It will play MP3's form the CD. If I were take the time to make my own discs I can put a lot of music on one CD if I burn them as MP3s), but, it seems to skip. Yeah, just like an album. It skips.
It has an aux input for an external player, but messing with gadgets while riding just isn't worth the hassle.
The reception isn't that good for radio. Stations that should be strong aren't. But I am not looking to upgrade. It's a motorcycle. Having any sort of jams is a bonus, not a requirement.

I'm still stewing on getting those bike to bike intercoms. I think they'd be handy since we both ride our own (like a few of you), but not sure I want to drop the coin for them. My bike has the CB but no one else does (that I ride with). So, it doesn't do me any good.

Maybe an iPod nano with one playlist with 200 or 300 songs. Set it up so it repeats. Won't be able to fast forward if you don't like the song that is playing though.

The Sony unit I own is controlled by the handlebar controls. I can skip songs, raise the volume, change from FM to Sirius to iPod to what ever is connected to the Aux jack on the face of the unit right from the handlebar. I connected a mini stereo cable to the Aux and installed a mini stereo jack right next to the jack on the radio. The cable is about 3" long. The jack is wired to the micro switch which is then wired to two more mini stereo jacks. I have my Garmin Nuvi connected to one jack and my phone connected to the other. I can select from the two with the switch I installed.

I have playlist, some with 300 songs, for Rock, Jazz, R&B, Country, and Classical. Before I roll I choose which playlist I feel like listening to, hit play, and let the good times roll.

+Quote Post
screwball
post Jul 15 2016, 10:06 PM
Post #12

Group Icon

From: Santa Clarita, SoCal & Bullhead City, Az. OFFICIAL 2nd OLDEST MEMBER
Member No.: 306
MILES: TRIKE

We use iPod Nano 7th generation. I usually select music via genre. With either the Sena communicators or the Clear Sound Bluetooth unit you can adjust the
volume, skip forward or back from the unit. I made a 'dash' in the center of the handlebars and mounted the iPod and a GPS. I can reach the units so I can
change genres if I want, or fool with the GPS. Vesta's trike has a compartment for her Nano with a power plug. Her trike came with the Boom audio system
with GPS and a bunch of other stuff built in.

#1 Son has a gazillion watt amp, super speakers in front, and bought the saddlebag lids with speakers. Anyone within a 10 block range can 'enjoy' what he
listens to. He is on his 2nd set of speakers, they just can't handle Guns n Roses. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
Ordy
post Jul 16 2016, 05:35 AM
Post #13

Group Icon

QUOTE(screwball @ Jul 15 2016, 11:06 PM) *
We use iPod Nano 7th generation. I usually select music via genre. With either the Sena communicators or the Clear Sound Bluetooth unit you can adjust the
volume, skip forward or back from the unit. I made a 'dash' in the center of the handlebars and mounted the iPod and a GPS. I can reach the units so I can
change genres if I want, or fool with the GPS. Vesta's trike has a compartment for her Nano with a power plug. Her trike came with the Boom audio system
with GPS and a bunch of other stuff built in.

#1 Son has a gazillion watt amp, super speakers in front, and bought the saddlebag lids with speakers. Anyone within a 10 block range can 'enjoy' what he
listens to. He is on his 2nd set of speakers, they just can't handle Guns n Roses. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Bobby uses a Nano also. Last time we rode together he was blasting Archie Bell and the Drells....

I thought about installing speakers in the saddlebags. Figured I probably couldn't hear them but my wife could. Then I remembered the ol' lady don't like riding. That's why I bridged the power amp and increased the wattage to the speakers on the fairing. But I can imagine your son's sound system sounding sick. Having a ton of watts isn't necessarily for playing as loud as the speakers can take. Just loud enough that the sound is still clear without distorting. Out of the box the Sony head unit will get loud but you'll hear raspiness and distortion that will cause me to lower the volume. But with the power amp in play I can play at the exact volume the Sony unit alone was beginning to distort with no distortion. It is loud but I can go louder but then introduce distortion and possibly blow the speakers. Probably what happen to your son Screwball.

One more thing, Screwball you're a gadget freak like me from way back. So using our bikes as easels for our gadgets is just a normal progression of our "gadget" disease...LOL

Ride safe
ORdy

+Quote Post
Ordy
post Jul 16 2016, 05:55 AM
Post #14

Group Icon

QUOTE(Jarhead @ Jul 15 2016, 05:18 PM) *
Love! love! love! the stereo on my SG, I rode ear buds before but now no need. I am quite annoyed by the fact that I have to wire in and buy a HD headset to use some of my functions though, also as I understand it I can't have a second jack for pasanger use.

What up Greg. Enjoying your Steetglide?

'splain Lucy.... HD headset to use for some of my functions?

I thought I read that harley no longer pre wire their bikes for rear speakers. Maybe I read it wrong but I thought I read that they no longer sell bikes with saddle mounted speakers.

Ride Safe
Ordy

+Quote Post
Jarhead
post Jul 17 2016, 05:37 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 5,524
BIKE: FLHX Street Glide
MILES: Yes

Ordy the "infotainment" center can run off voice commands and be blue toothed to most phones, in order to use the phone or voice commands you must use a HD headset, that is not wireless and the wireless devices such as Seneca are not combatable.
AND! The jack for the Wired HD head set is not provided and must be purchased separately and wired in...with no such jack for a passenger sold unless the bike came it ha rear trunk such as the ultras, the dealer said the harness is not the same and it can't be done.

So no way for a intercoms between the driver and passenger, kinda cheese dick if you ask me, I suppose it's a way to up sell even higher priced touring bikes.

+Quote Post
Ordy
post Jul 17 2016, 05:51 AM
Post #16

Group Icon

QUOTE(Jarhead @ Jul 17 2016, 06:37 AM) *
Ordy the "infotainment" center can run off voice commands and be blue toothed to most phones, in order to use the phone or voice commands you must use a HD headset, that is not wireless and the wireless devices such as Seneca are not combatable.
AND! The jack for the Wired HD head set is not provided and must be purchased separately and wired in...with no such jack for a passenger sold unless the bike came it ha rear trunk such as the ultras, the dealer said the harness is not the same and it can't be done.

So no way for a intercoms between the driver and passenger, kinda cheese dick if you ask me, I suppose it's a way to up sell even higher priced touring bikes.

When I rented the Streetglide two year's ago I fell in love with that infotainment system. But leave it to Harley to push the aftermarket out of the picture. Wonder if the connections are compatible with after market products like power amps or if you're stuck using the overpriced stuff they sell us? I can see the reason for the use of the headset, if you're doing voice commands at 70 miles an hour. Don't understand, other than Harley's bottom line, why they would make the connections proprietary. There is a big market out there for headsets.

Ride safe
Ordy

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
4 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th June 2017 - 10:41 AM
Harley Shop Talk Established 05/05/05
Painting By: Dave Barnhouse / Hadley House Publishing, All Rights Reserved
HARLEY SHOP TALK IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH HARLEY-DAVIDSON®, INC.
HARLEY SHOP TALK: IF WE AIN'T TALKIN' HARLEYS, WE'RE TALKIN' $#*%!