post Dec 15 2011, 02:26 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,997
BIKE: FLSTC Heritage Classic
YEAR: 2000
MILES: 1

Hey, y'all...

I'm just recovering from my 2nd carpal tunnel surgery. I was talking to a local bike builder who also has carpal tunnel, and he recommended ape hangers; his personal bike has Arlen Ness 1 1/4 x 16 apes, 11" pullback. They turn down nicely at the grips, about 45 degrees, and he tipped the bars back a little towards the seat, so my elbows are bent and at about shoulder height or perhaps an inch lower. They felt great, very natural.

Would y'all recommend 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" on a Heritage Classic? I perused the internet as well as the FatBook catalog and found alot of different manufacturers. Is there really any difference if the width, height, pullback, etc. are the same?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
badco_67
post Dec 15 2011, 08:49 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: BOTM Winner's Circle
Member No.: 840
BIKE: FLHRCI Road King Classic EFI
YEAR: 1999
MILES: 27000

QUOTE(Croaker @ Dec 15 2011, 01:26 AM) *
Hey, y'all...

I'm just recovering from my 2nd carpal tunnel surgery. I was talking to a local bike builder who also has carpal tunnel, and he recommended ape hangers; his personal bike has Arlen Ness 1 1/4 x 16 apes, 11" pullback. They turn down nicely at the grips, about 45 degrees, and he tipped the bars back a little towards the seat, so my elbows are bent and at about shoulder height or perhaps an inch lower. They felt great, very natural.

Would y'all recommend 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" on a Heritage Classic? I perused the internet as well as the FatBook catalog and found alot of different manufacturers. Is there really any difference if the width, height, pullback, etc. are the same?

neither, what you really want is drag bars on a 6" riser...

+Quote Post
Grumpy
post Dec 15 2011, 10:06 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 38
BIKE: FXDWG Dyna Wide Glide
YEAR: 2005
MILES: 175,000
BIKE: FXDWG Dyna Wide Glide

QUOTE(badco_67 @ Dec 15 2011, 05:49 AM) *
neither, what you really want is drag bars on a 6" riser...

Ifn you like riding bent in half all the time. (IMG:http://www.harleyshoptalk.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Mine are Chubbys 16" on standard risers. Love um.Been on the bike for about 5 years an many,many thousands of miles. Some days 500 miles. Longest 700. Just depends on what works for you. I had carpal tunnel surgery many years ago,both hands.
Russ

This post has been edited by Grumpy: Dec 15 2011, 10:08 AM

+Quote Post
Croaker
post Dec 16 2011, 12:12 PM
Post #4

Got a bad back, so no bending over; besides, I don't like that look. I know I want apes, just want a little more info before I drop the cash.

+Quote Post
Big_Ty
post Dec 16 2011, 01:35 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 82
BIKE: FLTRI Road Glide EFI
MILES: 95000
BIKE: FLSTFI Fat Boy EFI
YEAR: 2003
MILES: 66000

Ok so you asked a dumb question ! maybe you should clarify! your mind is made up you know what you like and want so wtf do you want? hahaha

Seriously ?

+Quote Post
Croaker
post Dec 16 2011, 02:14 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(Big_Ty @ Dec 16 2011, 12:35 PM) *
Ok so you asked a dumb question ! maybe you should clarify! your mind is made up you know what you like and want so wtf do you want? hahaha

Seriously ?

Hmmmnnnn.... All sarcasm aside (well, some of it, anyway), I shall clarify. As per my original post, here's wtf I want.

QUOTE(Croaker @ Dec 15 2011, 01:26 AM) *
local bike builder .... recommended ape hangers.....Would y'all recommend 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" on a Heritage Classic? ..... found alot of different manufacturers. Is there really any difference if the width, height, pullback, etc. are the same?

Thought I was pretty clear on what I wanted, didn't realize asking for opinions on specifics was a dumb question. Don't mean to bust yer balls, Big_Ty, just responding to yer question.

+Quote Post
Big_Ty
post Dec 16 2011, 04:08 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 82
BIKE: FLTRI Road Glide EFI
MILES: 95000
BIKE: FLSTFI Fat Boy EFI
YEAR: 2003
MILES: 66000

I thought you were asking what bars you wanted 1 1/2" is always better go BIG or go home!

Carpel tunnel ....................... etc means go with a ergonomic riding position not a reach for the sky ...........just saying!

my balls are fine thanks for asking!

This post has been edited by Big_Ty: Dec 16 2011, 04:08 PM

+Quote Post
Croaker
post Dec 17 2011, 09:57 PM
Post #8

No worries, mate. I just didn't want bars that looked too thick on a Heritage. The way the local bike builder had his tipped back towards him, they didn't have that "knuckles to the wind" look the way some do. I'll talk to him and see if I can get a pic.

+Quote Post
frisco-rigid
post Dec 21 2011, 11:03 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 78

Hi Croak

I'm guessing you like the 16" bars your bud/mech has on his sickle and the way he has them adjusted soo,, am I right that your question is mostly about either getting 1.250" or 1.500" OD bars and the diff tween makers.. right..??

I've run 12" and 16" bars on my sickles for 35 years and I've never seen or felt a diff between makers bars..
I would simply get the least expensive units.. Unless Name Brand means something to you..

I have no idea why bigger Bars is better but please tell me,, why are you set on over-size bars, looks only..?? They give No leverage or handling advantage, weigh more and if bent by a fall-over or "go-down",, will be almost imposs to "bend back out" to get home.. A good grunt and the old-style One Inch bars re-bend..
Happened to me a few times,, ooh well, that's yer dandelion..

One thing you might consider is this..
Adjust the Apes you settle on so that you sit up-right (poss even a wee forward) With-Out needing to clench onto the grips with great effort to keep from falling backwards.. Might/could mean shorter apes..
In-other-words,, if you need to grip the bars real tight to keep from falling back you'll wear out waaay fast and poss aggravate your Carp-Tun problem too..

Have a ball

+Quote Post
Croaker
post Dec 22 2011, 03:09 AM
Post #10

Hey, Frisco....

Advice noted on posture. Yep, OP was about bar thickness only. Honestly, I didn't think about 1" bars; good point on the re-bend. The wrench had 1.25 on his, some folks say get 1.5. Since I ain't afraid to admit I don't know too much, being newly converted to Church of Harley-Davidson after 46 years of being "caged like an animal". Just want bars that don't look too tiny or too chubby on a Heritage Classic.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 10:24 AM
Harley Shop Talk Established 05/05/05
Painting By: Dave Barnhouse / Hadley House Publishing, All Rights Reserved
HARLEY SHOP TALK IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH HARLEY-DAVIDSON®, INC.
HARLEY SHOP TALK: IF WE AIN'T TALKIN' HARLEYS, WE'RE TALKIN' $#*%!