HARLEY SHOP TALK

Often Imitated, Never Duplicated

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cruise control problem 2001 FTLRSEI2, Cruise control won't engage, problems performing self test
Liferjoesquid
post Mar 23 2013, 04:59 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,580
BIKE: FLTRSEI Screamin Eagle Road Glide
YEAR: 2001
MILES: 25000

My cruise started acting erratic during a long trip last year. At first it didn't set cruise every time I tried to set or resume. It might take a couple of attempts. Later on the trip it dropped out for no particular reason and I could occasionally get it to reset, but it would drop out after a few miles. I finally gave up and just rode. Three times the bike suddenly re-engaged cruise that caught me by surprise. It finally dawned on me that I still had the cruise on-off switch "on" so I turned it off to prevent any more surprises.

After the trip I pulled out my service manual and attempted to run the bike through the inoperative cruise diagnostics (7.2 in the diagnostic manual). It does not get past the first step which is to turn the cruise on-off switch to "on", hold the set/resume switch to SET, and turn the ignition switch to "on". The cruise indicator is supposed to illuminate as long as the set/resume is held to SET. If you let go of the set/resume switch, the cruise indicator should extinguish. Mine stays illuminated. If I move set/resume to RESUME, the cruise indicator extinguishes. If I let go of the set/resume switch the cruise indicator illuminates again. Because of this, I cannot go any further into the self diagnostic.

Additionally, I cannot perform the dropout diagnostic, no codes will come up.

So then I walked all the way through the continuity and voltage checks outlined in self test 7.5 and everything checks out. The manual provides no direction to troubleshoot this particular problem.

Any ideas are welcome as I don't know what to look for at this point. I really thought it would be a bad set/resume switch or loose connection but everything checked out.

Thanks for any assistance!!

Eric
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
EZGlider
post Mar 23 2013, 05:39 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: BOTM Winner's Circle
Member No.: 29
BIKE: FLTRI Road Glide EFI
YEAR: 2006
MILES: 25,000+
BIKE: FXDWG Dyna Wide Glide
YEAR: 2004
MILES: Gone but not forgotten

Maybe you already searched but some of the threads here may help. Good luck with it. (IMG:http://www.harleyshoptalk.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif)

https://www.google.com/search?q=troubleshoo...p;client=safari

+Quote Post
Blackcloud
post Mar 23 2013, 06:37 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,370
BIKE: FLHTCUI Ultra Classic Electra Glide EFI
YEAR: 2009
MILES: 20,000
MILES: 50,500

I too was thinking it was the set/resume switch.

+Quote Post
Bamsambo
post Mar 23 2013, 06:46 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 65
BIKE: FLHRS Road King Custom
YEAR: 2004
MILES: 48Years

I love my carb.

+Quote Post
Fgowi
post Mar 23 2013, 07:50 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,095
MILES: 70,000
BIKE: ***** BAGGERS *****
YEAR: 1111
MILES: 1

I have an '01 FLTRSEI2, as well. BUT, I can't remember if the cruise is ECM based or not. May very well be that switch.

NOT something to screw around with. Glad you got the master switch off! If you got a manual, like I do, I can't be much help.

Good Luck.

+Quote Post
wholehog
post Mar 23 2013, 09:25 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 4

QUOTE(Liferjoesquid @ Mar 23 2013, 05:59 PM) *
After the trip I pulled out my service manual and attempted to run the bike through the inoperative cruise diagnostics (7.2 in the diagnostic manual). It does not get past the first step which is to turn the cruise on-off switch to "on", hold the set/resume switch to SET, and turn the ignition switch to "on". The cruise indicator is supposed to illuminate as long as the set/resume is held to SET. If you let go of the set/resume switch, the cruise indicator should extinguish. Mine stays illuminated. If I move set/resume to RESUME, the cruise indicator extinguishes. If I let go of the set/resume switch the cruise indicator illuminates again. Because of this, I cannot go any further into the self diagnostic.

Additionally, I cannot perform the dropout diagnostic, no codes will come up.

So then I walked all the way through the continuity and voltage checks outlined in self test 7.5 and everything checks out. The manual provides no direction to troubleshoot this particular problem.

Eric

I am looking at an 04 EDM so there may be some difference to an 01.......

7.2 warns to follow the test sequence precisely otherwise you may not exit diagnostic mode at the conclusion....so maybe for shits and grins run through all 12 steps and see where it leaves you....my thinking is maybe it is stuck somewhere in the diagnostic mode.....

also my EDM has (in 7.4) Cruise Chart A through Cruise Chart I with various diagnostics do you have those and have you run through them? Cruise Chart B is the Resume Switch

Sounds like you know enough to not run out just yet to replace the cruise module.....dope out the wiring and switches first

good luck

+Quote Post
Sick_Puppy
post Mar 24 2013, 05:23 AM
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 52
AKA:HST Spiritual Advisor
BIKE: FXSTS Springer Softail
YEAR: 1984
MILES: 220251

I love my EVO!
Attached File(s)
Attached File  DSC03422_3.JPG ( 105.1k ) Number of downloads: 0

+Quote Post
Liferjoesquid
post Mar 24 2013, 05:38 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(wholehog @ Mar 23 2013, 09:25 PM) *
I am looking at an 04 EDM so there may be some difference to an 01.......

7.2 warns to follow the test sequence precisely otherwise you may not exit diagnostic mode at the conclusion....so maybe for shits and grins run through all 12 steps and see where it leaves you....my thinking is maybe it is stuck somewhere in the diagnostic mode.....

also my EDM has (in 7.4) Cruise Chart A through Cruise Chart I with various diagnostics do you have those and have you run through them? Cruise Chart B is the Resume Switch

Sounds like you know enough to not run out just yet to replace the cruise module.....dope out the wiring and switches first

good luck

In my manual "Cruise Chart A" is in 7.5. I ran through the entire diagnostic which included continuity checks of the roll-off switch, set/resume switch, and both brake switches. All passed, although the roll-off switch seemed a little loose.
I've read other threads about cruise control issues and a procedure for checking cable lash was mentioned but I haven't found it in my manual yet. Any idea on what this procedure is and what its purpose is? Would it be of any help?
Thanks!!Eric

+Quote Post
wholehog
post Mar 24 2013, 10:17 AM
Post #9

Group Icon

Yes I would reinitialize the lash because everything electrical sounds like it checks out except the set/resume switch.....

Lash is in the SM...I will post it as soon as I get the file size down smaller.....

you probably know that cruise is a servo linked to the throttle body by a ribbon and cable.....check over the mechanics to be sure something is not binding or loose...

the rolloff can be disconnected while you troubleshoot....it is the switch on the idle return cable with the two tab connectors along the frame backbone near the steering neck.....but it doesn't sound like the cause since you say CC re-engaged on its own.....a bad rolloff can cause a drop out though

let me compress the CC lash instructions and post....

BTW, did you do anything with the wiring or controls or cables lately that might affect the CC?

This post has been edited by wholehog: Mar 24 2013, 10:19 AM

+Quote Post
wholehog
post Mar 24 2013, 10:33 AM
Post #10

Group Icon

CABLE LASH INITIALIZATION

With the elimination of the mechanical cruise cable adjuster,
the tolerance stack-ups are intended to result in a cable that
is too long. The extra cable length is then taken up upon execution
of the Cable Lash Initialization routine. During the routine,
the system calculates the number of “motor steps” the
cable is pulled before the throttle plates are moved (a maximum
of 200 motor steps equivalent to 1.2 inches or 31 mm).
This information is then stored in permanent memory.

NOTE
Perform the initialization routine whenever the cruise module,
cruise cable or throttle body are removed or replaced. For
best results, be sure the engine is at normal operating temperature
and throttle and idle cables are correctly adjusted
and operational.

To set the correct cable lash, proceed as follows:

a. Push the Cruise Switch on the right handlebar to
RESUME and hold.

b. Turn the Cruise ON/OFF switch to ON.

c. Turn the Ignition/Light Key Switch to IGNITION.

d. Start the engine. The green Cruise Enabled/
Engaged lamp in the tachometer face (speedometer
on FLHRC models) will illuminate. Wait 3 seconds
for the lamp to go off.

e. Release the Cruise Switch from the RESUME position.

f. Push the Cruise Switch to RESUME and hold.
Cruise will pull in cable until change in RPM is
detected. The number of motor steps required to rev
the engine is stored in memory.

g. After engine revs and Cruise Enabled/Engaged
lamp is extinguished, release the Cruise Switch
from the RESUME position

h. Turn the Ignition/Light Key Switch to OFF.

+Quote Post
wholehog
post Mar 24 2013, 10:39 AM
Post #11

Group Icon

QUOTE(Sick_Puppy @ Mar 24 2013, 06:23 AM) *
I love my EVO!

soon as we get a good rain to wash off the salt and sand we need to get a ride in.....supposed to bless the bikes in gettysburg sunday after Easter.....

This is an annual event held by Battlefield Harley-Davidson and Motorcyclists for Jesus Ministries. This is a non-denominational blessing for all makes of bikes and all riders, a wonderful way to welcome the riding season. The morning will start with coffee and donuts from 9:30a.m.-11a.m. The blessing will begin promptly at 11a.m. A raindate of April 14, 2013 is scheduled.

+Quote Post
Liferjoesquid
post Mar 24 2013, 07:59 PM
Post #12

Wholehog,
Thanks for all the info!! I'll give it a go this week. I really like the whole idea of blessing the bikes. I especially like a business that's not afraid to sponsor a Christian event...we need more of that...a WHOLE lot more of that!!
Eric

+Quote Post
Liferjoesquid
post May 15 2013, 04:41 PM
Post #13

It's been awhile but I finally got time to try the lash adjustment procedure. Something is obviously wrong as I cannot even get the cruise indicator to come on as noted in the procedure when initially starting the bike. I tried to move ahead with the procedure thinking perhaps the indicator did come on and I merely missed it. Yet when I set the set/resume switch to RESUME the second time (step f), nothing happens no matter how long I hold the switch in RESUME.
I read over the idle cable and throttle cable procedures but don't understand the components and their locations well enough. I did try the idle cable continuity checks...see below. I'm not sure how to do the throttle check procedure as noted in the Throttle Cable procedure.
I did lift the tank last night and looked at the idle and throttle cables. The cruise control roll-off switch seemed loose but I don't know if that is normal or not. The Harley Manual does not make note of this as something to check.
Additionally, I did try to fumble my way through the idle cable continuity check....initially I got infinity readings as required but did not understand what to do with the procedure from step 5 to the end. I tried getting a reading while rolling throttle to fully closed but still reading infinity. I don't trust the reading as I am not certain I am doing steps 5-9 correctly.
I rode the bike today before doing the lash check to get the bike up to operating temp. I tried the cruise just for giggles and it set!!!! I used the rear brake to cancel it then tried to reset the cruise.......nothing. It really makes me think there is some sort of loose connection causing The issue.
Help?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd August 2017 - 06:13 AM
Harley Shop Talk Established 05/05/05
Painting By: Dave Barnhouse / Hadley House Publishing, All Rights Reserved
HARLEY SHOP TALK IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH HARLEY-DAVIDSON®, INC.
HARLEY SHOP TALK: IF WE AIN'T TALKIN' HARLEYS, WE'RE TALKIN' $#*%!