pmack315
post Mar 18 2015, 06:21 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,412
BIKE: XLH883 Sportster 883 Hugger
YEAR: 2001
MILES: 30000

I have a 2001 Harley Sportster XLH big bore. I have been working off and on for about 15 months. Originally it would start up and then after 3 miles of riding it would kick back a bunch and then die. First I thought it was fuel issue and drained the tank since it did sit for a little while (while sitting it had stabil in it). After that, no change. Ran some sea foam in it. No change. Check the spark plugs, and they were dark. Change spark plugs and wires. No change. Thought back to the fuel issue. I bought it with about 29k on it, and it has about 30k on it now. So I looked at the Carb, and it was pretty dirty. So I rebuilt the carb, and the Carb was super clean and ready go. Change for the worse, it wasn't starting at all. I thought I really screwed something else up when cleaning the carb. Then I hit a wall and took it to harley dealer. Turns out Stator was fried and it frying the ignition module. Both were replaced as well as 30k check up. It was really cold and rainy day when I picked up from the dealer. It was pretty difficult to start, but thought it just was due to the cold/weather. However, since then it still takes a lot to start it. Choke doesn't seem to do anything when attempting to start it. It will immediately turnover, and then sputter out. If i keep revving it, it will keep going and it will continue to kickback and will have erratic RPMs. Once the bike warms up, it runs like a champ with no issues. From some research online, I gathered it might be an intake manifold leak. I recently tried to check but a couple of the bolts were kicking my a$$. Before I get too crazy, I wanted to get some opinions if I am on the right track. Thanks. I was hoping to figure this out without going back to the dealer. It is about 2 hour ride, and I am hoping to not spend a fortune.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fgowi
post Mar 18 2015, 10:06 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: BOTM Winner's Circle
Member No.: 1,095
BIKE: FLTRSEI Screamin Eagle Road Glide
MILES: 70,000
BIKE: ***** BAGGERS *****
YEAR: 1111
MILES: 1

Maybe a stupid question... Is the choke mechanically working?

+Quote Post
deuce04
post Mar 19 2015, 04:48 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

Group: BOTM Winner's Circle
Member No.: 21
BIKE: FXSTDI Softail Deuce EFI
YEAR: 2004
MILES: 10
BIKE: FXSTDI Softail Deuce EFI

Certain Sportster models were known for what you are talking about.

+Quote Post
pmack315
post Mar 20 2015, 02:44 PM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,412
BIKE: XLH883 Sportster 883 Hugger
MILES: 30000

everything I saw it looks to be mechanically working fine.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th June 2017 - 04:05 PM
Harley Shop Talk Established 05/05/05
Painting By: Dave Barnhouse / Hadley House Publishing, All Rights Reserved
HARLEY SHOP TALK IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH HARLEY-DAVIDSON®, INC.
HARLEY SHOP TALK: IF WE AIN'T TALKIN' HARLEYS, WE'RE TALKIN' $#*%!