houstonjosh
post Oct 2 2013, 06:25 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,867
BIKE: XL Sportster 883
YEAR: 2003
MILES: 5,500

So im a new rider and def a beginner when it comes to preforming general maintenance on my bike. I just ordered pads and in preparation and too familiarize my self with the process and what tools i would need ahead of time i decided to take the front caliber off and prep it for the new pads. But as im taking off one of the three set of bolts that there is break fluid started dripping out and once i got the caliber off all brake fluid from the master cylinder for the most part completely drained out and it kinda threw me from a loop because i was under the impression that the only way to drain the fluid was from the bleeding nipple...So i would appreciate it if someone would give me some input as way this happened. To clarify...and i apologize for my ignorance ahead of time...which bolt i was taking off when the fluid began to drain was not the smaller bolts that hold the caliber togther nor was it the bolts that hold the caliber to the bike but the other two bolts...not sure if they each have different or name or not but like i said i apologize for my ignorance and if there are names for the bolts if any one would like to inform me i would also appreciate it. If more info is needed let me know ill elaborate as much as possible.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Blackcloud
post Oct 2 2013, 06:37 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: BOTM Winner's Circle
Member No.: 1,370
BIKE: FLHTCUI Ultra Classic Electra Glide EFI
YEAR: 2009
MILES: 20,000
MILES: 50,500

I dunno, but I DO know that getting your hands on a service manual (not the owner's manual) is good money spent. It has step by step procedures and is written by the manufacturer, so it's the right way to do a procedure. The book ain't cheap, but will save you money in the long run.

+Quote Post
Jarhead
post Oct 2 2013, 06:41 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 5,524
BIKE: FLHX Street Glide
YEAR: 2015
MILES: Yes

I bought the service manual and the electrical service manual for my bike on e-bay for under $25 with shipping.

Money well spent.

+Quote Post
LoudnProud
post Oct 2 2013, 06:57 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 31
BIKE: FLSTCI Heritage Classic EFI
MILES: 100100

You don't need to remove your caliper...

There are two 1/4" 12 pt. bolts that hold the pad in place located in the center of your caliper....

Take those out and your old pads will fall out... You'll have to pry the caliper open using the old pads and then put the new pads in place and put the bolts back in.. Tighten everything else you broke loose and refill with brake fluid....

Pump the brakes a few times to build pressure before you move the bike...

Good luck.... Welcome to HST....

+Quote Post
houstonjosh
post Oct 2 2013, 08:59 PM
Post #5

Thanx everyone for the adivce! ill def be getting a service manual ASAP. And being that i already got the font break caliber apart ill go ahead and take some break cleaner to it, install the new pads and just stick to taking the middle bolts out for the rear breaks.

+Quote Post
wholehog
post Oct 2 2013, 09:39 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 4

sounds like you removed the banjo bolt that attaches the brake line to the caliper....you will need to bleed the brakes and also get new crush washers for the banjo bolts

+Quote Post
SeaHag
post Oct 2 2013, 10:26 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 224
AKA:Dragon Slayer
BIKE: FLTRI Road Glide EFI
YEAR: 2005
MILES: 47,000 +

QUOTE(wholehog @ Oct 2 2013, 09:39 PM) *
sounds like you removed the banjo bolt that attaches the brake line to the caliper....you will need to bleed the brakes and also get new crush washers for the banjo bolts

YEP...As soon as he said brake fluid came out, I knew he removed one too many. I often take my caliper off, but leave the brake line attached to make it easier installing the new pads into place, but there's only TWO bolts that hold the caliper to the fork legs...and then the two smaller ones that retain the pads in the caliper.

You created a bit more work for yourself having to refill and rebleed your brake; but think of it as a learning experience. Definitely, get the service manual. I knew NOTHING about harleys when I bought my first one, but with the service manual, I've been able to do all my own work from brakes to top end overhauls so far. The money saved on shop labor easily pays for my growing tool collection. (IMG:http://www.harleyshoptalk.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif)

+Quote Post
houstonjosh
post Oct 3 2013, 06:29 AM
Post #8

Well if the problem is alll i did was remove one two many bolts then that comforting....cause i had really no idea why it did that, but i will keep that in mind for future reference. And that is really encouraging..so ill def be getting the service manual.

+Quote Post
Bamsambo
post Oct 3 2013, 05:00 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

Member No.: 65
BIKE: FLHRS Road King Custom
YEAR: 2004
MILES: 48Years

QUOTE(LoudnProud @ Oct 2 2013, 07:57 PM) *
You don't need to remove your caliper...

There are two 1/4" 12 pt. bolts that hold the pad in place located in the center of your caliper....

Take those out and your old pads will fall out... You'll have to pry the caliper open using the old pads and then put the new pads in place and put the bolts back in.. Tighten everything else you broke loose and refill with brake fluid....

Pump the brakes a few times to build pressure before you move the bike...

Good luck.... Welcome to HST....

Also crack open the cover on the resovoir and it will be easier to push the pistons back.

+Quote Post
houstonjosh
post Oct 3 2013, 09:23 PM
Post #10

So got everything back together. The o rings in place, the retaining clip, the new pads in and all the bolts in the right place with the the caliper bolted in the bike and new dot 5 brake fluid in master cylinder....BUT...when i go to pump the brakes to build pressure...i get nothing...no pressure what so ever as if there isnt even any brakes there....what did i do wrong this time?

+Quote Post
Big_Ty
post Oct 3 2013, 09:29 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

Member No.: 82
BIKE: FLTRI Road Glide EFI
YEAR: 2005
MILES: 95000
BIKE: FLSTFI Fat Boy EFI
MILES: 66000

pour fluid till the line starts dripping then tighten .....our put a tube on the nipple and open it then push the fluid up to the res

+Quote Post
Blackcloud
post Oct 4 2013, 06:08 AM
Post #12

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,370
BIKE: FLHTCUI Ultra Classic Electra Glide EFI
YEAR: 2009
MILES: 20,000
MILES: 50,500

Trapped air bubble.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th September 2017 - 08:33 PM
Harley Shop Talk Established 05/05/05
Painting By: Dave Barnhouse / Hadley House Publishing, All Rights Reserved
HARLEY SHOP TALK IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH HARLEY-DAVIDSON®, INC.
HARLEY SHOP TALK: IF WE AIN'T TALKIN' HARLEYS, WE'RE TALKIN' $#*%!