Group: BOTM Winner's Circle
Member No.: 24
BIKE: FLHTI Electra Glide Standard EFI
YEAR: 2006
MILES: 22,400

My bike did not come with cruise control as a standard option. It does have the two connections under the seat and the space next to the battery compartment. It also has the two spades that connect to the idle cable.

Harley has stop selling cruise control as a plug and play option. They use to sell a kit for about $375 but discontinued it. Now, if someone wants to add the option, and your bike is already wired for it, like mine is, you'll have to do it piece meal.

I've researched the fuck out of it and have found modules on ebay for prices ranging from $125 to $200... The only thing I'm having a problem with is finding a replacement right hand control with the "Cruise" switch assembly. Wondering if I can just buy the housing, switch, button, and snake the wire to the existing connector in the fairing. Yeah, I got a service manual and an electrical service manual for the bike. They go over the install of the option but some parts are a little ambiguous.

Anyone?

Actually looking at this as a winter project...

Ride safe
ORdy
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Blackcloud
post Aug 2 2015, 07:32 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,370
BIKE: FLHTCUI Ultra Classic Electra Glide EFI
YEAR: 2009
MILES: 20,000
MILES: 50,500

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Media...ets/-J02800.pdf

Is this what you need?

This post has been edited by Blackcloud: Aug 2 2015, 07:34 AM

+Quote Post
Ordy
post Aug 2 2015, 10:53 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

QUOTE(Blackcloud @ Aug 2 2015, 08:32 AM) *

Thanks BC.

I need the part 70039-00. I've seen it on some site for $230. Maybe able to hold off and keep checking eBay, as they always get parts off of wrecks and auction them off, or maybe I can build my own lower housing to the right hand control by buying the switch, housing cover, and associated buttons, and wiring. Was just wondering if perhaps someone here has gone that route with their switch housings.

The install looks pretty straight forward (famous last words)... The hardest part is the wiring. But even that isn't really that hard just need to go in with a plan. I think building my own switch/switch housing for the right hand control would probably be the cheapest way to do it.

Ride safe
Ordy

+Quote Post
LoudnProud
post Aug 6 2015, 05:51 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 31
BIKE: FLSTCI Heritage Classic EFI
YEAR: 2003
MILES: 100100

Cruise Control????

Mas Puto..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hysterical.gif)

+Quote Post
screwball
post Aug 6 2015, 06:55 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

From: Santa Clarita, SoCal & Bullhead City, Az. OFFICIAL 2nd OLDEST MEMBER
Member No.: 306
BIKE: F-series
YEAR: 2015
MILES: TRIKE
BIKE: F-series

Current, and 3 previous Harleys came with Cruise Control..... never used it Can only think of a time or two I used it in our cars. Guess I'm a control freak

+Quote Post
Ordy
post Aug 8 2015, 11:00 AM
Post #6

Group Icon

QUOTE(LoudnProud @ Aug 6 2015, 06:51 PM) *
Cruise Control????

Mas Puto..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hysterical.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/hysterical.gif)

too much???

Ride safe
ordy

+Quote Post
LoudnProud
post Aug 8 2015, 01:37 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

Nah, just fuckin with you, Bro.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Auto-Pilot might be a little over the top.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hysterical.gif)

+Quote Post
Blackcloud
post Aug 9 2015, 06:41 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

If you ride alone in areas where you can cruise it's real nice. The technology was created for a reason, and it is pleasant to use.
But if you ride with others, or in city traffic, cruise control doesn't do you any good.

+Quote Post
Ordy
post Aug 9 2015, 10:26 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

QUOTE(Blackcloud @ Aug 9 2015, 07:41 PM) *
If you ride alone in areas where you can cruise it's real nice. The technology was created for a reason, and it is pleasant to use.
But if you ride with others, or in city traffic, cruise control doesn't do you any good.

Have used it both times I've rented the Street Glide. Great for giving the right hand a break. Must be even better when you're traveling those flat roads in Minnesota... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/whistling.gif) Would never use it in the city.

While we are on the city. Been driving the E-glide to work everyday since i got it. It's been hot out and when the bike overheats I actually get to experience the safety Harley built into the twin cam and the bike shuts down the front jug. The minute I roll the throttle the front jug starts up again. The Deuce had a twin cam but never exhibited this behavior. If this 88 cubic inch engine heats this much in city riding I'd hate to see what the 103 cubic inches do. I mean the boys get really toasty from the heat and sperm must be boiling off; that's how hot it gets. The advertising for Harley's should include "free sterilization" as a selling point.

Pulled the fairing, to secure the stereo amp to the frame; it was dancing around the fairing, and checked the headlight connectors. Was smelling a burning plastic smell. The headlight connector is pretty much melted off. Looks like the bike uses a standard H4 bulb so it must just be age and heat. Going down to the auto parts first thing to get a new one and solder it in before work.

Outside of that i'm still loving my bike.

Ride safe
ORdy

+Quote Post
Bamsambo
post Aug 10 2015, 06:20 AM
Post #10

Group Icon

Member No.: 65
BIKE: FLHRS Road King Custom
YEAR: 2004
MILES: 48Years

I changed from stock bulb to a 100 watt awhile back. I put a porcelain connector on mine. Wrks great. won't melt.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  light_adpt.jpg ( 59.83k ) Number of downloads: 0

+Quote Post
Ordy
post Aug 10 2015, 09:17 AM
Post #11

Group Icon

QUOTE(Bamsambo @ Aug 10 2015, 07:20 AM) *
I changed from stock bulb to a 100 watt awhile back. I put a porcelain connector on mine. Wrks great. won't melt.

Thanks for the heads up Sammy.

Just finished installing one that I got from the auto parts store. Just looked on eBay and they sell those porcelain connectors for a song. Two for like $7.00; which is what I paid for the meltable one I just installed. Think I'll go that route since porcelain don't melt that easy...

Ride safe
Ordy

+Quote Post
Night Rider
post Aug 10 2015, 11:09 AM
Post #12

Group Icon

Member No.: 989
BIKE: FLHT Electra Glide Standard
YEAR: 2005
MILES: 50000

Is there anything that you want me to take pictures of on my bike?

Mine is same year as yours and is the "Standard" model with cruise added later at the stealership ... just let me know ..

+Quote Post
Ordy
post Aug 10 2015, 08:46 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

QUOTE(Night Rider @ Aug 10 2015, 12:09 PM) *
Is there anything that you want me to take pictures of on my bike?
Mine is same year as yours and is the "Standard" model with cruise added later at the stealership ... just let me know ..

thanks Mike.

Walked in to the house tonight and smelled gas. Went out to the garage and checked the bike. Couldn't find anything. Came back in the house and removed my pants. Yep, gasoline on the right pant leg, towards the bottom. Where the hell is it coming from? Checked breather and crossover line nuthin'....

Ride safe
Ordy

+Quote Post
Blackcloud
post Aug 10 2015, 09:32 PM
Post #14

Group Icon

You didn't top it off on your way home did ya? Sometimes gas expands with high temps and spills over. But I suspect you already know that.

+Quote Post
LoudnProud
post Aug 11 2015, 06:31 PM
Post #15

Group Icon

That's a lot of gas, Bro....

Could you have maybe stepped in some at the station that was spilled by someone while fueling and it just got on the bottom of your jeans????

Be very careful until you figure out where it came from....

+Quote Post
wholehog
post Aug 12 2015, 10:05 PM
Post #16

Group Icon

Member No.: 4

does the location about line up with the air filter?

+Quote Post
Ordy
post Aug 13 2015, 05:40 AM
Post #17

Group Icon

QUOTE(wholehog @ Aug 12 2015, 11:05 PM) *
does the location about line up with the air filter?

yep, just below it Lou.

Didn't do it yesterday, maybe I put too much gas in the tank? Bike does backfire when I roll off the throttle and sometimes i do smell gas while riding but can't tell if it's me or the idiots around me.

Mikey said that the bike came with a HD Screamin' Eagle tuner. I've looked everywhere and can't find the fuckin' thing. He said the guy who tuned it used the tuner. Thing is that the tuner only works with one bike at a time and you have to leave it plugged in. Wonder if the guy who did the work knew that. Think I may have to take it in and have the ECM flashed for the pipes and the filter.

Ride safe
Ordy

+Quote Post
deuce04
post Aug 13 2015, 10:57 AM
Post #18

Group Icon

Member No.: 21
BIKE: FXSTDI Softail Deuce EFI
MILES: 10

QUOTE(Ordy @ Aug 13 2015, 06:40 AM) *
yep, just below it Lou.

Didn't do it yesterday, maybe I put too much gas in the tank? Bike does backfire when I roll off the throttle and sometimes i do smell gas while riding but can't tell if it's me or the idiots around me.

Mikey said that the bike came with a HD Screamin' Eagle tuner. I've looked everywhere and can't find the fuckin' thing. He said the guy who tuned it used the tuner. Thing is that the tuner only works with one bike at a time and you have to leave it plugged in. Wonder if the guy who did the work knew that. Think I may have to take it in and have the ECM flashed for the pipes and the filter.

Ride safe
Ordy

Did you get the CD and EPROM box for the tuner?

Eprom is the box that connects to the computer and marries itself to your bike and VIN number.

The SERT is a program that allows you to tune the engine or install a canned MAP. There wont be anything you can physically see.

+Quote Post
Ordy
post Aug 13 2015, 11:44 AM
Post #19

Group Icon

QUOTE(deuce04 @ Aug 13 2015, 11:57 AM) *
Did you get the CD and EPROM box for the tuner?

Eprom is the box that connects to the computer and marries itself to your bike and VIN number.

The SERT is a program that allows you to tune the engine or install a canned MAP. There wont be anything you can physically see.

well there you go! I'm actually looking for a physical device that's connected to the ecm or to the wires controlling the injectors, like the DFO I installed on my Deuce. I never got the eprom box you speak of. Figured maybe the guy that tuned the bike kept it. Had asked Mikey but he said the same thing; guy tuned it and that's all he knew.

Once you tune the bike do you remove the eprom box? Guess all it does is download maps to the ECM. If that's the case then the bike has the maps called for. Although I read somewhere that the tuner's maps are set up for Harley pipes, breathers, cams, and equipment and they may or may not work with non Harley gear.

Ride safe
Ordy

+Quote Post
deuce04
post Aug 13 2015, 12:46 PM
Post #20

Group Icon

Member No.: 21
MILES: 10

Once the bike is tuned the eprom connection is removed but your supposed to keep it.
That's the only way to tune the bike again with the SERT. A dealer can remap again if you want them too.

Dealers remap can over ride your existing MAP

Good thin about the SERT is can diagnose problems and remove a code if you have one without going to the deale

You can use one of the SERTs canned maps but it also allows a good dyno guy to custom tune your bike.

This post has been edited by deuce04: Aug 13 2015, 12:50 PM

+Quote Post
LoudnProud
post Aug 13 2015, 04:00 PM
Post #21

Group Icon

Gas soaked right leg ain't Hog Farts that sounds more like Hog Sharts.....

+Quote Post
wholehog
post Aug 14 2015, 09:22 AM
Post #22

Group Icon

Member No.: 4

without the dongle that SERT is useless for future tuning....not worry about backfire on hard decel it's unburnt fuel in the pipes

you ought to call the tuner and ask about the dongle...keeping the dongle is a lowball thing for a tuner to do...offer him a few bucks for it to get his interest cause a new SERT has got to be over $350

I dont think the gas has anything to do with the tune...is the inside of the a/c cover wet with oil?

+Quote Post
Ordy
post Sep 12 2015, 10:15 AM
Post #23

Group Icon

update:

Never did find out what the fuck the gas smell was. Never occurred again. Air filter was bone dry.

Bike rides fine. Now I'm back to the cruise control. This is what I got so far:

- i purchased a used Cruise Module, from a 2005 Roadglide (direct replacement for my bike) from eBay for $114... Not too shabby seeing as they run from $160 to $370 brand new (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

- I purchased a set of black housing's with the cruise set/resume hole for the handlebars from eBay. Payed $14.00 so I got over again! All I need is the lower right handlebar housing. Harley wants $34.00 just for the right bottom housing. I got top and bottom for both handlebars so I have extra..

I need to get a set/resume switch for the right handlebar controls. I'll probably need to extend the wiring to the fairing, seeing as how the bike has 12.5" apes installed. Can't find the switch anywhere but this site: http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/ro...IRING%20HARNESS and they want $52.49 for it.

Will also need to purchase a "Cruise" switch; goes on the fairing. Seen on ebay for about $50 less than Harley sell's them, $35.00.

After reading other threads on other forums I decide to forgo the idle cruise cutoff. Three ways to kill cruise control, when it's engaged, and they are hit the brake, shut the switch on the fairing, twist the throttle. The idle cruise cutoff sounds like a royal pain in that if it's not set just so and you hit a bump it will disengage cruise control. A lot of guys have said they don't use it. With that said it's all a matter of pulling the battery, installing the cruise module to the side of the battery case, connecting the 10 place connector (already under the seat);that connects to the main line to the fairing, connecting stepper cable to induction module, running wiring (three 24 gauge wires) from handlebar cruise set/resume switch to connector in fairing, removing fairing switch cap and installing cruise control switch on fairing... Hopefully it's a long ass winter.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shocking.gif)

Ride safe
Ordy

+Quote Post
Spurrs
post Sep 13 2015, 07:23 AM
Post #24

Group Icon

Member No.: 691
BIKE: FLTR Road Glide
YEAR: 2017
MILES: Many

Crap, Ordy - I think I had a box with the housings, buttons, etc. laying around but I can't find them. I think I gave them all to Big Ty when he was going through his black phase and baking all his parts in an easy bake oven. I'll keep looking, but I bet they are in his garage and not mine.

+Quote Post
Ordy
post Sep 13 2015, 11:32 AM
Post #25

Group Icon

QUOTE(Spurrs @ Sep 13 2015, 08:23 AM) *
Crap, Ordy - I think I had a box with the housings, buttons, etc. laying around but I can't find them. I think I gave them all to Big Ty when he was going through his black phase and baking all his parts in an easy bake oven. I'll keep looking, but I bet they are in his garage and not mine.

Thanks bro'.... Fuckin' Ty..........

Did he actually use an easy bake oven? I saw some of the pieces he baked and they looked damn good!

Ride safe
Ordy

+Quote Post
Jarhead
post Sep 13 2015, 05:15 PM
Post #26

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,524
BIKE: FLHX Street Glide
YEAR: 2015
MILES: Yes

QUOTE(Ordy @ Aug 9 2015, 08:26 PM) *
Have used it both times I've rented the Street Glide. Great for giving the right hand a break. Must be even better when you're traveling those flat roads in Minnesota... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/whistling.gif) Would never use it in the city.

While we are on the city. Been driving the E-glide to work everyday since i got it. It's been hot out and when the bike overheats I actually get to experience the safety Harley built into the twin cam and the bike shuts down the front jug. The minute I roll the throttle the front jug starts up again. The Deuce had a twin cam but never exhibited this behavior. If this 88 cubic inch engine heats this much in city riding I'd hate to see what the 103 cubic inches do. I mean the boys get really toasty from the heat and sperm must be boiling off; that's how hot it gets. The advertising for Harley's should include "free sterilization" as a selling point.

Pulled the fairing, to secure the stereo amp to the frame; it was dancing around the fairing, and checked the headlight connectors. Was smelling a burning plastic smell. The headlight connector is pretty much melted off. Looks like the bike uses a standard H4 bulb so it must just be age and heat. Going down to the auto parts first thing to get a new one and solder it in before work.

Outside of that i'm still loving my bike.

Ordy
I still think you may be confusing two different functions or modes, The Harley Safe mode or Electronic Throttle Control (ETC)
Which is a limp home mode that only allows you to only achieve speeds of 25 MPH or shuts down your motor entirely if the sensors detect a serious issue.

A separate system is the Engine Idle Temperature Management system (EITMS) which when enabled shuts down the front jug when the engine reaches a set temp idling (typically around 284 degrees)
It basically uses the front cylinder as a air pump to cool the engine, and is immediately disengaged when you roll on the throttle, exceede 2miles a hour or release the clutch with the engine in gear.
This feature can be turned on or off, with my bike you only have to roll the throttle forward past the stop to toggle the feature on or off.
(IMG:http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz233/greg_hill1/052C07CF-C92F-499C-91E4-E03AC7F381C4.jpg)
(IMG:http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz233/greg_hill1/D2D47707-740E-4495-9935-232DED0EA84D.jpg)

(IMG:http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz233/greg_hill1/A66F498B-2CEE-4F60-95AE-E729DE5BFD30.jpg)
(IMG:http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz233/greg_hill1/AD125295-1BAF-4279-B4BE-11F44E9723B2.jpg)

Ride safe
ORdy

+Quote Post
Blackcloud
post Sep 13 2015, 06:23 PM
Post #27

Group Icon

Good info right there! Thanks Greg.

+Quote Post
Ordy
post Sep 13 2015, 09:42 PM
Post #28

Group Icon

Thanks bud.

I'd rather the jug cut out once bike temp reaches 320. It's a safety and it actually works. Just don't like it doing it on account of heat will fuck shit up and if that's kicking in then the bikes too hot. Haven't had it go to safety since I installed the love jugs.

Ride safe
Ordy

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th June 2017 - 01:59 PM
Harley Shop Talk Established 05/05/05
Painting By: Dave Barnhouse / Hadley House Publishing, All Rights Reserved
HARLEY SHOP TALK IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH HARLEY-DAVIDSON®, INC.
HARLEY SHOP TALK: IF WE AIN'T TALKIN' HARLEYS, WE'RE TALKIN' $#*%!