hd4evr
post Mar 31 2012, 11:39 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,121
BIKE: FXDC Dyna Super Glide Custom
YEAR: 2011
MILES: 1300

The last few bikes I've owned I installed a Power Commander when I did the Stage One upgrade (slipons, and airbox). The last bike gave me nothing but trouble with the Power Commander. The very first thing my indy mechanic (ex-HD mechanic with 30 years experience) said was "get that fr**kin Power Commander OFF your bike!!"

Anyway, with my new SuperGlide I went with V&H slipons, SE air cleaner, and this time I just did the simple dealer download. I have to say, my bike runs great with this setup. But, all I hear from everybody is how I need a "tuner" and the download is a waste of money. What are your thoughts on the dealer download/remap for a simple Stage One upgrade? As I said, my bike runs GREAT with it, whereas my bikes with the Power Commanders ran like c**p, spitting, backfiring, popping, etc. Anyone running the simple download and are happy with it?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Blackcloud
post Mar 31 2012, 11:58 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: BOTM Winner's Circle
Member No.: 1,370
BIKE: FLHTCUI Ultra Classic Electra Glide EFI
YEAR: 2009
MILES: 20,000
MILES: 50,500

Use what works. PC works great for a lot of folks, but if it was messing you up and the download works better (for you) then you have what you need to be happy.

+Quote Post
yhillclimb
post Mar 31 2012, 02:46 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 6,065
BIKE: FLHTCUI Ultra Classic Electra Glide EFI
YEAR: 2003
MILES: 26600

The downloads can be hit or miss. If the download works for you then use it, the advantage of the tuners is that most allow you to "build" custom maps if needed or tweek settings to improve the downloaded map.

+Quote Post
TxGecko
post Mar 31 2012, 05:39 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 3,732
BIKE: FLHTCU Ultra Classic Electra Glide
MILES: 16, 500

HD4ever I have a 11 FLHTK ultra limited I also installed the SE air box, Vance and Hines pro pipe, and monster oval slip mufflers. I also installed the XiED from nightrider.com The bike has run great so far with out any down load. If I start getting any popping or poor performance I'll consider the download.
Good Luck

+Quote Post
Fgowi
post Mar 31 2012, 05:59 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,095
BIKE: FLTRSEI Screamin Eagle Road Glide
YEAR: 2001
MILES: 70,000
BIKE: ***** BAGGERS *****
YEAR: 1111
MILES: 1

I don't see what's wrong with a download IF you're not ever going to make any more changes. At some point downloads become expensive. A Power Commander (which I don't like as well as HD's version) and other "tuners" can take you through multiple upgrades.

Good Luck.

+Quote Post
screwball
post Mar 31 2012, 06:49 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

From: Santa Clarita, SoCal & Bullhead City, Az. OFFICIAL 2nd OLDEST MEMBER
Member No.: 306
BIKE: F-series
YEAR: 2015
MILES: TRIKE
BIKE: F-series

ON:
My 03 Dyna
Wife's 04 Nightrain
My 08 E-Glide
Wife's 08 Deluxe
My 09 Tri-Glide
Wife's 11 Tri-Glide

We put slip-ons, and the SE intake. Never had a problem, bikes ran great from 1400 feet above sea level to 8,000 feet. In most cases when you install a "tuner" it is fooling the injection computer. In some cases, the 02 sensors are inop, so the computer can't adjust the fuel mixture based on exhaust gas.

I do agree, if you are going to do the cams, pistons, or any other hop-up you will need some kind of fuel management, just a little overkill for slip-ons and intake.

+Quote Post
hd4evr
post Apr 1 2012, 04:54 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 6,121
BIKE: FXDC Dyna Super Glide Custom
MILES: 1300

I forgot to say...........since I bought my slipons and SE airbox from the dealer and had him install everything, the download was FREE! The whole cost of everything was V&H Twin Slash Slip ons....$325.........SE airbox.........$109.......labor.........$60....... ....download.........
FREE

Total for everything...............$512 with tax.

I spent well over $1,400 for my last bike with the Power Commander, and it never ran as good as this one does with the simple download.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd September 2017 - 12:32 AM
Harley Shop Talk Established 05/05/05
Painting By: Dave Barnhouse / Hadley House Publishing, All Rights Reserved
HARLEY SHOP TALK IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH HARLEY-DAVIDSON®, INC.
HARLEY SHOP TALK: IF WE AIN'T TALKIN' HARLEYS, WE'RE TALKIN' $#*%!