Group Icon

Group: BOTM Winner's Circle
Member No.: 224
AKA:Dragon Slayer
BIKE: FLTRI Road Glide EFI
YEAR: 2005
MILES: 47,000 +

Hey Brush-

I was wondering what tips you'd offer for someone buying the tools to do paint work? I'm making plans to finally create the scheme I've been envisioning for the past 6 years; but I don't want to spend my money foolishly. I am planning to purchase a decent compressor setup for some air tool and paint gun use. What should I be looking for, or looking to avoid in my air supply?

Next question I had was in regards to the paint gun. I believe the HVLP guns are supposed to be superior to the standard can-below guns; but don't really know. Should I be buying an air brush instead of paint gun since motorcycle parts are not real big? I noticed in looking at HVLP guns that they list different spray aperture diameters like .8mm-1.4mm. Do you have a recommendation in that regard?

I have done some paint work in the past to bicycles and the inner fairing of my electra glide which came out very nice. I've learned prep work with lots of wet sanding is the key to a nice finish and I was taught by another painter to keep the spray application at 90* angles to the work surface. You do really nice work; so I'm open to any suggestions you may be able to provide...Thanks!!

Clay
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Brush
post Aug 29 2017, 08:28 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,109
BIKE: FLHT Electra Glide Standard
YEAR: 2003
MILES: 56000

What I did when I started is to buy a HVLP gun kit at harbor freight. You can get a kit with 2 guns, 1 big 20oz one, it come with a 1.4 for top coat and clear and a 1.8 for primer, and one smaller 4.2oz detail gun. A 5hp compressor is needed because the smaller ones can't supply the required air to maintain proper pressure. A good air filter for your air hose. Is this going to be a one time thing or are you planning more painting? No sense in spending high dollar if it's a one time thing. I'm still using harbor freight guns. They work well and are cheaper. I don't paint everyday so they work well for me. Hope this helps. Let me know.

+Quote Post
SeaHag
post Aug 29 2017, 10:14 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Actually it helps a lot that you endorsed Harbor Freight since that is specifically where I had been shopping. They just opened a new store where I live and I like their prices. I had actually even been looking at that same two piece gun set that you mentioned.

So this compressor won't work well for small paint jobs?
https://www.harborfreight.com/21-gal-25-HP-...3417b&sfid=

Once I have the tools to do a job, I'm always open to using them more; but I don't intend on doing a steady business of painting.

What makes for a good air filter in the line? Do some work better than others?

+Quote Post
Brush
post Aug 30 2017, 12:02 AM
Post #4

I'm not so sure that compressor can maintain the proper air pressure. You may have to stop and wait a minute or so for it to catch up. I had to do that with a smaller compressor once before when my big compressor burned up and I was in the middle of a job. It's not so bad on base coat but can be a real problem when spraying clear coat. Just watch your spray pattern and pressure gauge. As far as air filter you want one that can filter water vapor. Compressed air and air hoses genarate moisture which is a big no no in painting. I have one connected to my air compressor and a small one connected to my spray gun. Just like anything else you get what you pay for. Try to buy the best you can afford and you should be ok. Home Depot sells that stuff at a discent price.

There's a lot to remember when painting:
Mixing the paint properly. (a paint job can be ruined right here if not done right)
Getting the right air pressure settings
Adjusting the air and fluid mixture settings on the gun
Spraying with a fluid like motion
Spraying distance from the gun to the part
Proper overlap

These base/clear coat paints are expensive so you don't want to be wasting them.

+Quote Post
SeaHag
post Aug 30 2017, 05:06 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

Got tips on starting air pressure? That will be a new one for me. I have previously used these Preval kits: https://store.preval.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjwxJn...whoC730QAvD_BwE along with auto body paint. So I have experience mixing up small batches of the paint/thinner and hardeners. The use of quality automotive paints is why I believe my previous paint jobs came out pretty nice; but the Preval sprayer is said to have a better spray pattern than typical rattle cans.

I was reading through the reviews for that compressor I linked to and found a half dozen users who claim they are satisfied with the compressor for their painting and air tool needs. So I might give that one a shot either way. I also have an extra portable 10 gallon air cannister I can connect in series with the 21 gallon compressor to get more air capacity; so I think I should be good.

The only 5hp compressor I see on Harbor Freight's site is $799.00...and I don't want to go that high.

+Quote Post
LoudnProud
post Aug 30 2017, 10:36 AM
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 31
BIKE: FLSTCI Heritage Classic EFI
MILES: 100100

Good Luck, Bro...

That sounds like a fun winter project...

Good Advice, Brush....

Just a thought but can you just rent a compressor for a day or so just to spray????

Then you would have the capacity you need at a fraction of the cost and not take up space trying to store a larger compressor....

+Quote Post
Brush
post Aug 30 2017, 06:09 PM
Post #7

I have a pressure gauge at my compressor that I set at around 45 lbs. I turn the fluid screw on the gun 2 turns out and the air pressure screw, at the bottom of the handle , all the way open. Then add material to the gun and spray. I watch the air pressure gauge and as it drops I adjust it to hold 40 lbs. Check out YouTube for custom paint videos. I learned a lot there. If you still have questions let me know. Post your work as you go along I would like to see how your doing..Good luck

I don't know if you can rent a compressor. They are heavy and hard to move around.

+Quote Post
SeaHag
post Aug 30 2017, 10:01 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

QUOTE(Brush @ Aug 30 2017, 06:09 PM) *
I have a pressure gauge at my compressor that I set at around 45 lbs. I turn the fluid screw on the gun 2 turns out and the air pressure screw, at the bottom of the handle , all the way open. Then add material to the gun and spray. I watch the air pressure gauge and as it drops I adjust it to hold 40 lbs. Check out YouTube for custom paint videos. I learned a lot there. If you still have questions let me know. Post your work as you go along I would like to see how your doing..Good luck

I don't know if you can rent a compressor. They are heavy and hard to move around.

Thanks a lot. All very helpful starting points. I should have thought to look on YouTube for tutorials also...duh. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/whistling.gif)

It will be a few months at least yet. Still enjoying the riding season; but the shopping is about to begin.

+Quote Post
Brush
post Aug 30 2017, 11:49 PM
Post #9

You welcome SeaHag. And like I said keep me posted when you start your project. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th February 2018 - 03:00 AM
Harley Shop Talk Established 05/05/05
Painting By: Dave Barnhouse / Hadley House Publishing, All Rights Reserved
HARLEY SHOP TALK IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH HARLEY-DAVIDSON®, INC.
HARLEY SHOP TALK: IF WE AIN'T TALKIN' HARLEYS, WE'RE TALKIN' $#*%!