post Sep 12 2007, 04:05 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: BOTM Winner's Circle
Member No.: 840
BIKE: FLHRCI Road King Classic EFI
YEAR: 1999
MILES: 27000

I need to get a new digital camera, and would prefer one that could also take a minute or two of video. Curious what you guys have.

Ty that camera you used on our trip last year seemed pretty good, what was it?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Blackdeuce
post Sep 12 2007, 04:24 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Member No.: 87
BIKE: FLHRS Road King Custom
YEAR: 2006
MILES: -

I have a Canon S3 which takes nice pictures and has a nice zoom. When we bought ours, I did a lot of research and it was one of the better choices with a big zoom. If you want something small, it's not a good option. It's about the size of a small SLR.

It has all kinds of features that I don't know how to use. I turn it on and push the button.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0602/06022111canons3is.asp

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_s3-review/

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?om...&sku=CNPSS3

This site sells accessories such as wide angle adapters or telephoto adapters:

http://www.lensmateonline.com/newsite/order_S2_1.html

This post has been edited by Blackdeuce: Sep 12 2007, 04:26 PM

+Quote Post
Bamsambo
post Sep 12 2007, 04:45 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 65
YEAR: 2004
MILES: 48Years

That's a tough one. There are so many cameras out there. I've got a Kodak Z740. It's a little large, as far as digital goes, but it does have 5x10 zoom with audio and video. With a 1G card it does 80 minutes of video or 1600 pics. I gave about $300 for it a couple of years ago.

This post has been edited by Bamsambo: Sep 12 2007, 04:46 PM

+Quote Post
EZGlider
post Sep 12 2007, 05:04 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 29
BIKE: FLTRI Road Glide EFI
MILES: 25,000+
BIKE: FXDWG Dyna Wide Glide
MILES: Gone but not forgotten

Just got one of these for the wife. She hated her little Nikon with the lack of a viewfinder and screen hard to see in the bright light.

Amazing what you can get for a bit over a hundred bucks today! Like $115 for a 5 Megapixel Canon. She loves it and I find myself leaving my Nikon D100 SLR home in favor of it. Lots of features for the money AND can be simple enough to be near foolproof. Great quality for the price.

http://www.jr.com/JRSectionView.process?N=...5#%2AMegapixels

EZ

+Quote Post
Bamsambo
post Sep 12 2007, 05:25 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 65
MILES: 48Years

That's a pretty decent camera Wayne, I got my Daughter a Cannon similar to that for Christmas. She likes it because she can carry it in her pocket. It's only 4" wide by 2" tall and does a good job. She put a 2G card in it and it'll record 2 1/2 hours of video or 3000 pics.

+Quote Post
Blackcloud
post Sep 12 2007, 05:55 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,370
BIKE: FLHTCUI Ultra Classic Electra Glide EFI
YEAR: 2009
MILES: 20,000
MILES: 50,500

I have a Sony cyber shot. They don't make my model anymore, but if I were buying one tonight I'd get this one DSC-S700

Its only about 150 bucks, takes 7 megapixel shots, and videos that are limited in length only by the memory you install.

This post has been edited by Blackcloud: Sep 12 2007, 05:57 PM

+Quote Post
EZGlider
post Sep 12 2007, 06:34 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

Actually, 5MP is what testers have determined is the optimum combo of quality and space preservation. Anything bigger is useless UNLESS you are making HUGE enlargements. Even 3MP is more than enough for quality 8X10s on a home printer.

You will have to reduce the size of most 7MP shots to post them OR print them at the size most people use. It DOES give you a cropping advantage though.

The canon has a viewfinder (optical) as well as a good sized,bright screen. It also uses plain AA batteries which is a nice feature, IMHO.

EZ

+Quote Post
dot
post Sep 12 2007, 06:58 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 766

QUOTE(badco_67 @ Sep 12 2007, 04:05 PM) *
Ty that camera you used on our trip last year seemed pretty good, what was it?

Ty has the same camera that we have: Kodak 4.0 mega pixels with a 10X zoom.
We like it, but it is a little bulky for a pocket. It takes good video, like the zoom, great pix.

Meanwhile, xusnatc had a neat little credit card sized camera that was so adaptable, that he could take pictures while driving......coordinated or what! (IMG:http://www.harleyshoptalk.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif) (IMG:http://www.harleyshoptalk.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
badco_67
post Sep 13 2007, 11:05 AM
Post #9

Group Icon

thanks everyone, I will have to go through each of your recomendations.....and see what works best....

We had a Kodak C series 6.0 megapixel that took great pictures, but was a little slower than I would like for taking multiple shots after each other...

+Quote Post
Big_Ty
post Sep 13 2007, 11:17 AM
Post #10

Group Icon

Member No.: 82
YEAR: 2005
MILES: 95000
BIKE: FLSTFI Fat Boy EFI
YEAR: 2003
MILES: 66000

DOT is correct...............bulky ya but the 10x optical allows me to get GREAT pictures at a distance. Camera is easy to use and has been dropped but keeps on ticking! Has all the features you are looking for! Put it on sports mode and snap action shots I think like 10 in a row. Or do video.............

+Quote Post
Walkafire
post Sep 13 2007, 06:59 PM
Post #11

Group: Members
Member No.: 127
MILES: Way too many or Not ENOUGH!

I have a Sony CyberShot... (forgot the model number)

Damn thing will fit in your t-shirt pocket, takes vids.

@ 200.00 or 300.00 (can't remember shit)
Ya have to buy a 1 gig card for it, but well worth it....

If you take pics on the bike, get a strap, or something to tie around your neck, as so your not fumbling for the damn thing...

Saw lots of folks doing the RIDE & SHOOT thing up in Sturgis.

WALK

+Quote Post
Ordy
post Sep 18 2007, 09:43 PM
Post #12

Group Icon

Member No.: 24
BIKE: FLHTI Electra Glide Standard EFI
MILES: 22,400

You buy a camera for it's optics. You could have a 10 megapixel camera with so-so optics and a 3 megapixel with a Carl Zeiss lens will blow it away. BTW: If you are going to print 16x20 prints often the 10MP camera should fit the bill. If all you're doing is 4x6's and some 8x10's a 5MP is the ticket. Megapixels do not translate into sharpest image just how big your final print will be. Those prints won't be as sharp if the optics are mediocre.

Camera companies that speacialize in great optics? Nikon and Cannon. Sony with their Carl Zeiss brand of lenses. We have a Sony Cybershot with the Carl Zeiss lens. I had given our daughter a Nikon 4MP point and shoot camera for Christmas last year. She took really great pictures and she shows a talent for composing pictures. For her birthday we gave her a Nikon D40 6MP camera with a 18mm to 50mm zoom and a 50mm to 200mm zoom. The differance is like night and day. Not because of the increase in megapixel, because we're still printing 4x6 and 8x10, but because of the many ways you can control how the final product will look. Awsome camera but won't fit in your pocket.

Before you buy a new Digital Camera buy and read "The Digital Photography Book" by Scott Kelby. It will set you back $19.95 but it's written in a "Hey pal set your camera to program, press the shutter halfway, wait for the green light to come on, and shoot...." type of way. It's a really easy read and one of the most popular photography books in the history of photography books.

When you're ready to buy look at Bhphotovideo.com. Friendly, very knowledgable, and Scott kelby's right they rather sell you something that costs less than see you spend tons of money on something that costs more and does the exact same thing. Real good bunch of people.

ride safe
ORDY

+Quote Post
farf02
post Sep 18 2007, 09:50 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 1,121
BIKE: FLHX Street Glide

We have a Kodak 5MP. Extremely pleased with it. I would buy whatever Sean has. The pics he takes always make me chubby

+Quote Post
Spurrs
post Sep 19 2007, 07:22 AM
Post #14

Group Icon

Member No.: 691
BIKE: FLTR Road Glide
YEAR: 2017
MILES: Many

Great post, Ordy!

+Quote Post
EZGlider
post Sep 19 2007, 07:59 AM
Post #15

Group Icon

Agree about B&H, Ordy. Great company with really great prices, fast service and never a problem in ten plus years dealing with them.

EZ

+Quote Post
Ordy
post Sep 19 2007, 08:22 AM
Post #16

Group Icon

QUOTE(Spurrs @ Sep 19 2007, 08:22 AM) *
Great post, Ordy!

Glad I could help.

I want to add this:

If you're taking digital photos chances are you're printing them at home.

Best photo printer? Epson. Why? Their inks. What photo printer do I own? Epson large format and a HP A610 series that prints 4x6. I bought the HP before I found out about Epsons superior ink technology. I can print 4 x 6's on the Epson large format (BTW: Large format for me equates to 8 x 10). My daughter loves the portability of the little HP A610 printer but Epson makes the small format printers also.

Just a few more pearls i wanted to throw your way......

Ride Safe
Ordy

+Quote Post
Big_Ty
post Sep 19 2007, 09:10 AM
Post #17

Group Icon

Member No.: 82
YEAR: 2005
MILES: 95000
YEAR: 2003
MILES: 66000

well tanks got to get a epson

+Quote Post
badco_67
post Sep 19 2007, 10:22 AM
Post #18

Group Icon

Ordy, you are da bomb, this was the best advice yet......

I have spent some time reviewing B&H's website, and reading a lot of info on what to look for in camera's, and was still was feeling confused....

So I called B&H's online sales group.... and they have pointed me in a couple of directions, but have done a great job in narrowing my best field of choices....

Initially I felt like I was getting a hard sale of the Panasonic FZ18, which is more than I want to spend....but after a few more pointed questions, my opinion changed and so did the sales guy opinion of what camera was best. We ran through models from Canon S30/S50's, Fugi, Olympus, and more.....I think I'm going to go with the Panasonic FZ8, which was last years version of the FZ18, the only real difference was the optical zoom is only 12x and not 18x.

These guys obviously know their stuff....when I challenged the name credibility of Panasonic, he went through a mini history of Lumix, evidently a big deal in camera's, which is Panasonic.....great insight on all the others though as well....he indicated that Fuji's cameras are the best of class in about every way, except for easy of use for consumers like me....Cannon and Sony a little behind the back and Olympus actually is a very good product, just a little to slow if you want to take pictures at sporting events....Anyway...thanks again for everyone's input, and especially to Ordy for pointing me to B&H.

+Quote Post
Ordy
post Sep 19 2007, 08:29 PM
Post #19

Group Icon

QUOTE(badco_67 @ Sep 19 2007, 11:22 AM) *
Ordy, you are da bomb, this was the best advice yet......

I have spent some time reviewing B&H's website, and reading a lot of info on what to look for in camera's, and was still was feeling confused....

So I called B&H's online sales group.... and they have pointed me in a couple of directions, but have done a great job in narrowing my best field of choices....

Initially I felt like I was getting a hard sale of the Panasonic FZ18, which is more than I want to spend....but after a few more pointed questions, my opinion changed and so did the sales guy opinion of what camera was best. We ran through models from Canon S30/S50's, Fugi, Olympus, and more.....I think I'm going to go with the Panasonic FZ8, which was last years version of the FZ18, the only real difference was the optical zoom is only 12x and not 18x.

These guys obviously know their stuff....when I challenged the name credibility of Panasonic, he went through a mini history of Lumix, evidently a big deal in camera's, which is Panasonic.....great insight on all the others though as well....he indicated that Fuji's cameras are the best of class in about every way, except for easy of use for consumers like me....Cannon and Sony a little behind the back and Olympus actually is a very good product, just a little to slow if you want to take pictures at sporting events....Anyway...thanks again for everyone's input, and especially to Ordy for pointing me to B&H.

Next time you're in New York visit their store. I have spent an entire day there. It's like a toy store for big kids......

Lumix - excellent choice. Olympus- My first 35 mm camera was an Olympus OM2 that I bought in Japan. Took great pictures and it was the lightest 35 mm format camera at the time. The reason he didn't give Cannon high marks is because they blow the doors off everything in the SLR class but can suck ass with the point and shoot stuff they sell. Same with Nikon.

Glad you got your choices narrowed down. Now run out and blow $19.95 on Scott Kelby's book. It's written for folks who own digital Slr's but everything he talks about also pertains to point and shoot. You won't regret it.

Ride safe
Ordy

+Quote Post
Walkafire
post Sep 19 2007, 09:14 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 127
MILES: Way too many or Not ENOUGH!

QUOTE(Ordy @ Sep 18 2007, 08:43 PM) *
"... Sony with their Carl Zeiss brand of lenses. We have a Sony Cybershot with the Carl Zeiss lens. ..."
ride safe
ORDY

Ordy, Tis the reason I bought the Sony CyberShot... I have about 3-5K wrapped up in a Contax with several Zeiss Lens that is collecting dust in a closet... grrrrrr I used to do a lot of B/W darkrrom work... but not anymore.

Maybe one of these days I should sell all my equipment... who knows... I already sold my Hassy

WALK

+Quote Post
Ordy
post Sep 19 2007, 09:33 PM
Post #21

Group Icon

QUOTE(Walkafire @ Sep 19 2007, 10:14 PM) *
Ordy, Tis the reason I bought the Sony CyberShot... I have about 3-5K wrapped up in a Contax with several Zeiss Lens that is collecting dust in a closet... grrrrrr I used to do a lot of B/W darkrrom work... but not anymore.

Maybe one of these days I should sell all my equipment... who knows... I already sold my Hassy
WALK

Hey Walk what's happenin' bro?

That Contax a Rangefinder? Zeiss makes some great optics don't they?

I'm reading a book, "On Digital Photography", by Stephan Johnson and he saids that todays digital imaging technology has surpassed film in every area. He now shoots digital exclusively and saids that he keeps his darkroom because he's had it for so long it holds a sentimental value.

I don't think film is dead yet. They still teach with film at NYU and one of my coworkers daughters is being tasked to buy a film based 35 mm slr for her courses; along with her digital slr.

Love Black and White photography. I was inspired by Edward Wesson, Henri Cartier Bresson, and Ansel Adams. Can I shoot like them? Fuck no! But I can sure fake it! LOL.

Ride safe
Ordy

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd June 2017 - 10:27 PM
Harley Shop Talk Established 05/05/05
Painting By: Dave Barnhouse / Hadley House Publishing, All Rights Reserved
HARLEY SHOP TALK IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH HARLEY-DAVIDSON®, INC.
HARLEY SHOP TALK: IF WE AIN'T TALKIN' HARLEYS, WE'RE TALKIN' $#*%!