post Jul 5 2009, 09:38 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: BOTM Winner's Circle
Member No.: 3,139
BIKE: FXSTI Softail Standard EFI
YEAR: 2004
MILES: 10k

So I'm going about 75mph on the freeway and a bigrig just ahead and a couple lanes over kicked up a bunch of dust an shit and something comes flying in the side of my shades and nails me in the fuckin eyeball! Completely blinded in my right eye, I stay calm and keep blinking, thinkin I would get lucky and blink it out. Fuckin eye was watering so bad the wind was blowing tears across both lenses on the shades. Pulled off, took about ten minutes and I thought it was gone, of course only til I was back on the road and there it was again scratchin around under my eye lid. I think it was there damn near the rest of the day.

Anyway, now I'm looking in to either goggles or the shades that have padding around your eye to seal (somewhat) to your face. Ive always just worn sunglasses but now I think its worth it to get something a little better.

Lookin at the ones that adjust to the light. My FUCKIN eyeball is still sore 2 days later!! (IMG:http://www.harleyshoptalk.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Blackcloud
post Jul 5 2009, 09:45 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,370
BIKE: FLHTCUI Ultra Classic Electra Glide EFI
YEAR: 2009
MILES: 20,000
MILES: 50,500

Eye Ride. Lifetime warranty. I've already had my lenses replaced - no questions asked.

+Quote Post
T-Willy
post Jul 5 2009, 09:46 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Thanks!

+Quote Post
lostinafog
post Jul 5 2009, 10:34 PM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,680
BIKE: XL1200R 1200 Roadster
MILES: 5053

i use to ride with the old glacier glasses, the ones witht the leather on the side but then i was damn near taken out when a geezer ina motorhome blew a light, no periferal(sp?) vision.. never seen him comin..

make sure you can still see what ya need to, i use smith n wesson saftey glasses now.. seven bucks a pair and no frame to block my vision, come in clear or dark or my personal favorite the indoor/outdoor tint.. i keep a couple of extra pair in the bags..

+Quote Post
Rick Rude
post Jul 5 2009, 10:43 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 3,502
BIKE: FXDWG Dyna Wide Glide
YEAR: 2008
MILES: 9800

I use the goggle-glasses with the light addaptive lenses, I find they are more comfortable than true goggles. I good pair will set you back 125 - 200 bux but worth it for the protection they provide. If you do go that route make sure that they have the warranty and that the foam piece is replaceable ( makes it easier to clean them and they do wear out)

+Quote Post
lostinafog
post Jul 5 2009, 10:43 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 2,680
BIKE: XL1200R 1200 Roadster
MILES: 5053

QUOTE(lostinafog @ Jul 5 2009, 08:34 PM) *
i use to ride with the old glacier glasses, the ones witht the leather on the side but then i was damn near taken out when a geezer ina motorhome blew a light, no periferal(sp?) vision.. never seen him comin..

make sure you can still see what ya need to, i use smith n wesson saftey glasses now.. seven bucks a pair and no frame to block my vision, come in clear or dark or my personal favorite the indoor/outdoor tint.. i keep a couple of extra pair in the bags..

oops not fast enough to edit in the link...

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/smitwesphans.html

+Quote Post
Ordy
post Jul 12 2009, 01:14 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 24
BIKE: FLHTI Electra Glide Standard EFI
YEAR: 2006
MILES: 22,400
BIKE: FLHTI Electra Glide Standard EFI
YEAR: 2006
MILES: 22,400

I've used Panoptic day/night convertible goggles/glasses and now I use Wiley X convertible day/night glasses. The foam insert covers the eye socket.

On my way to Rolling Thunder I'm riding with three other guys I met at the rest stop. They let me tag along. This was the year that the Cichada's were out in force. We're doing 65 on I-95 when I notice something glance off the shoulder of the guy in front of me. He was about two car lengths in front of me. Cichada made a bee line for my eye. I had the Panoptix goggles and even those did not stop this insect from squeezing through the foam that covers the eye's socket. When we pulled over for gas one of the guys tells me that I have green sleepy sand on my eye. Took off the goggles and the rest of the Cichada fell out. One big gooey mess. Lesson? Goggles are great for wind but don't expect them to shield your eyes from projectiles coming at you at 65 miles an hour.....

Ride safe
Ordy

+Quote Post
Bigbits
post Jul 12 2009, 03:58 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 222
BIKE: FLSTS Heritage Springer
YEAR: 2000
MILES: 50000

I use Wiley-X light adaptive glasses that have the foam to seal the lens around your eye, but also have a few slots in the foam to let air in and sweat out (need that here, my eyeballs nearly drowned yesterday in 115 degrees and 80% humidity!). If a dark visor is legal on your helmet (if you wear one) I find that's the best for really bright weather, The LA lenses don't really cut it as sunglasses, but popping the dark visor up and riding home in the clear LA lenses makes it a lot easier at night!

+Quote Post
747 FlightEngine...
post Jul 12 2009, 07:01 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 3,170
BIKE: FXSTC Softail Custom
YEAR: 2009
MILES: 2800

Best pair of goggles that I use and swear by them are a pair for $12.95 bought at the Harley Dealers.

+Quote Post
T-Willy
post Jul 12 2009, 07:23 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

QUOTE(747 FlightEngineer @ Jul 12 2009, 05:01 PM) *
Best pair of goggles that I use and swear by them are a pair for $12.95 bought at the Harley Dealers.

I'm all about $12.95! I dont have $125+ right now for anything. I know it would be worth it, just dont have it.

BTW- by two days after that happened my eye was almost swollen shut. Whatever it was that got in there was pretty bad. Back to normal a couple day after that but that was a shitty couple days!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd June 2017 - 10:17 PM
Harley Shop Talk Established 05/05/05
Painting By: Dave Barnhouse / Hadley House Publishing, All Rights Reserved
HARLEY SHOP TALK IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH HARLEY-DAVIDSON®, INC.
HARLEY SHOP TALK: IF WE AIN'T TALKIN' HARLEYS, WE'RE TALKIN' $#*%!