Post #1

Group Icon

Group: BOTM Winner's Circle
Member No.: 1,370
BIKE: FLHTCUI Ultra Classic Electra Glide EFI
YEAR: 2009
MILES: 20,000
MILES: 50,500

Ok, this isn't really a review, but sorta is.
I ordered a Head Trip helmet from Advanced Carbon Composites. Maybe not the "best" helmet you can buy, but if you like not wearing helmets, this is just very slightly larger than a novelty, and satisfies the DOT requirement. I've only ridden up and down the road a small bit, but it feels good so far. If I find out its fantastic, I will report that. If I find out it sucks, I will report that too. Some of you have this helmet and it's been discussed but I'm too tired and lazy to look for the threads.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Blackcloud
post Oct 23 2009, 09:27 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

OK, a couple of months later I can say this helmet is fine. The soft padding is THIN so you might get a "hot spot" on your forehead on long rides but for most riding situations it's not a problem. A buddy pulled up next to me and said it was the first helmet that didn't make me look like a bobble head (so I've got that going for me lol). Seriously, I'm glad I bought it, and I'd recommend it for anyone who wants a DOT helmet that is very compact.
For the record, I requested a copy of the testing lab's certification of this helmet. It passes, but just barely.

+Quote Post
SSFATBOY
post Oct 23 2009, 09:31 PM
Post #3

Guests

got any links?

+Quote Post
Fgowi
post Oct 23 2009, 11:19 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,095
BIKE: FLTRSEI Screamin Eagle Road Glide
YEAR: 2001
MILES: 70,000
BIKE: ***** BAGGERS *****
YEAR: 1111
MILES: 1

The two I bought for the Cape trip have been recalled. Better than NOT recalling them I reckon. The communication says the protection aspect of the helmet, specifically DOT standards, were not met.

They sent a call tag to return them to have them rebuilt. Having worn a "lid" forever in helmet states I'm not too worried about it. I know Huey would never do such a thing but hey, I would.... (IMG:http://www.harleyshoptalk.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/whistling.gif) (IMG:http://www.harleyshoptalk.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/hysterical.gif)

I'll try to remember to let you know what the heck they did to the helmets... I know they're goint to re-line them. Just don't know to what extent. Maybe you'll look like a bobble head again Mark. (IMG:http://www.harleyshoptalk.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/hysterical.gif)

+Quote Post
Blackcloud
post Oct 24 2009, 07:22 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

SSFATBOY - Head Trip Helmets

FGOWI - When I ordered mine there was a delay in getting it. Took a couple of months. I know now that helmets sold before June 09 were recalled, and that the back log was because they were correcting the older helmets. Mine came in late August so mine already has the "fix" (whatever it is). It's one reason I asked for the certification documents. The other reason is so I'd have something to show the narrow minded gate guards when they try to deny me access to work because I'm wearing a "novelty helmet". I'm even toting a real novelty helmet so they can compare the two and see the difference.

This post has been edited by Blackcloud: Oct 24 2009, 07:24 AM

+Quote Post
Fgowi
post Oct 24 2009, 10:41 AM
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,095
BIKE: FLTRSEI Screamin Eagle Road Glide
YEAR: 2001
MILES: 70,000
BIKE: ***** BAGGERS *****
YEAR: 1111
MILES: 1

Good deal! Yep, Jan '08 thru Jun '09 are being recalled. Failure to comply with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 218. "Motorcycle Helmets in the area of penetration"

Quoting, "Advanced Carbon composites will disassemble your helmet and add an extension of Vectran material. A new liner will also be installed."

I'm not too worried about it cause many times I wear a "lid" anyways. But, I'm gonna send 'em in.

+Quote Post
Blackcloud
post Oct 24 2009, 12:12 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

Hey, if they're doing it for free, do it. Like getting a new helmet for nothing.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th July 2017 - 11:48 PM
Harley Shop Talk Established 05/05/05
Painting By: Dave Barnhouse / Hadley House Publishing, All Rights Reserved
HARLEY SHOP TALK IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH HARLEY-DAVIDSON®, INC.
HARLEY SHOP TALK: IF WE AIN'T TALKIN' HARLEYS, WE'RE TALKIN' $#*%!