Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mink Oil, for boots
wholehog
post Apr 13 2006, 05:54 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: BOTM Winner's Circle
Member No.: 4

some people say it softens the leather too much....I'm not convinced on the silicone spray

I gotta put on something cause theres some damn place we will hit rain on the way to Alcoa....I'll bet on it
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Buck
post Apr 13 2006, 06:17 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Member No.: 55
BIKE: FLHRCI Road King Classic EFI
YEAR: 2004
MILES: 63000

I use SNO-SEAL on all my boots to waterproof em'. It helps to warm up the boots and the sno-seal first befor applying. I even sometimes use a hair dryer to help it penetrate. I use it on the kids hockey stick when taping the blade also....works better than sex-wax.

SNO-SEAL

This post has been edited by Buck: Apr 13 2006, 06:17 PM

+Quote Post
wholehog
post Apr 13 2006, 06:38 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

I looked at your link and they are talking up beeswax.....

Why is Beeswax so good? The superiority of wax results from the combination of its ability to remain fixed in the outer layer of the leather and the superior water resistance of Beeswax. Beeswax has a melt point of about 146o F. It is very dry and oil free. Thus once applied it is not only waterproof but also extremely durable.

Beeswax provides just enough lubrication to prevent hardening of leather in typical use. It does not soften leather. The first commercial Beeswax waterproofing for leather was invented in 1933 by Ome Daiber to waterproof leather mountain climbing and downhill ski boots without destroying the stiffness required to climb or steer a ski. Boots, gloves, holsters, etc. will maintain their strength for years if treated only with Beeswax. A baseball mitt can be softened with a light application of mineral oil. When exactly the right ball pocket and fit have been achieved, applying Beeswax will maintain exactly the same fit for the life of the glove.

+Quote Post
BBD
post Apr 13 2006, 08:00 PM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 196

Interesting stuff Hogfart. Never thought of using beeswax. I do use mink oil regularly and like the results. Not pretty (darkens the leather and shows scuffs more easily), but works well as a water repellent and softener. Course I like my boots comfortable and worn looking.

+Quote Post
Buck
post Apr 13 2006, 08:54 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 55
BIKE: FLHRCI Road King Classic EFI
YEAR: 2004
MILES: 63000

What I like about sno-seal is that unlike mineral and animal oils, it still lets my boots breath. My feet perspire heavily(a family blessing) and when using oils like mink oil or neatsfoot oil my boots, whether they were my work boots, hunting boots or riding boots, they would end up rotting from the inside out, if I didn't throw them out first from the stench. Even using a boot dryer didn't help. Don't have that problem with sno-seal. I use it on my riding gloves too for the same reason. You do want to rub em down or buff em with a rag(boots or gloves) to get the excess off after it penetrates or they'll get sticky on you when they get cold.

+Quote Post
screwball
post Apr 13 2006, 11:04 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

From: Santa Clarita, SoCal & Bullhead City, Az. OFFICIAL 2nd OLDEST MEMBER
Member No.: 306
BIKE: F-series
YEAR: 2015
MILES: TRIKE
BIKE: F-series

I second Buck, have been using Sno-Seal for years. Great stuff for suede golf shoes, even used it on suede jackets. Don't have much of a snow problem here.

+Quote Post
stebo19
post Apr 13 2006, 11:27 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 105
BIKE: FLSTF Fat Boy
YEAR: 2003
MILES: 35000

I use mink oil on all my leather. Jackets, Boots, Seat, etc... It protects and weather proofs pretty good. I do the jacket and boots once a year and the seat a few times.

+Quote Post
wholehog
post Apr 17 2006, 11:14 AM
Post #8

Group Icon

All right, got me a jar of SnoSeal for 9 bucks....it looks just like the stuff Harley gives you for the leather bags

I just got a feeling we are gonna need some of this over the weekend on the way to Alcoa

+Quote Post
bone
post Aug 21 2006, 11:58 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 28
BIKE: FLSTCI Heritage Classic EFI

QUOTE(wholehog @ Apr 17 2006, 12:14 PM)
All right, got me a jar of SnoSeal for 9 bucks....it looks just like the stuff Harley gives you for the leather bags

I just got a feeling we are gonna need some of this over the weekend on the way to Alcoa

Wholehog.....did you try the Sno Seal???? What do 'ya think????

+Quote Post
wholehog
post Aug 21 2006, 06:46 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

I like it alot but in the steady rain that I was in only gators would have worked....the wet soaked through the leather in a couple of hours....but put them on the a/c over night and they dried out

+Quote Post
bone
post Aug 22 2006, 06:00 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 28
BIKE: FLSTCI Heritage Classic EFI

QUOTE(wholehog @ Aug 21 2006, 07:46 PM)
I like it alot but in the steady rain that I was in only gators would have worked....the wet soaked through the leather in a couple of hours....but put them on the a/c over night and they dried out

Thanks!!!

Ride safe Lou,
Todd

+Quote Post
HDROADGLIDE
post Aug 22 2006, 10:41 AM
Post #12

Group Icon

Member No.: 47
AKA:Uses Thunderheaders on his bike AND in his shorts.
BIKE: FLTR Road Glide
YEAR: 2002
MILES: NOT ENOUGH.
BIKE: FLSTN Nostalgia and Softail Deluxe
YEAR: 2008
MILES: 5,425

but put them on the a/c over night and they dried out OH BOY DOESNT THAT SOUND A LITTLE TOO FAMILIAR!!!! (IMG:http://www.harleyshoptalk.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/bike.gif) I THINK MY BOOTS ARE STILL WET FROM THE TOMAH TRIP LOU!!! (IMG:http://www.harleyshoptalk.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/whistling.gif)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th September 2017 - 04:49 AM
Harley Shop Talk Established 05/05/05
Painting By: Dave Barnhouse / Hadley House Publishing, All Rights Reserved
HARLEY SHOP TALK IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH HARLEY-DAVIDSON®, INC.
HARLEY SHOP TALK: IF WE AIN'T TALKIN' HARLEYS, WE'RE TALKIN' $#*%!