HARLEY SHOP TALK

Often Imitated, Never Duplicated

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Let's revisit an old subject..., Helmets.
SeaHag
post May 12 2006, 12:26 AM
Post #41

Group Icon

Group: BOTM Winner's Circle
Member No.: 224
AKA:Dragon Slayer
BIKE: FLTRI Road Glide EFI
YEAR: 2005
MILES: 47,000 +

What's a helmut?? (IMG:http://www.harleyshoptalk.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/whistling.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SeaHag
post May 12 2006, 01:06 AM
Post #42

Group Icon

Ok...now that I've had time to read everyone elses responses, I'll give my 'serious' answer.

I have a full face helmet I hate. I only wear it in the late fall or early spring when temps are 40* or below...and even then, I leave it home most of the time unless there is a chance of rain.

It looks alright, I guess, but it catches so much more wind, that my neck hurts after wearing it for a little while. I'd like to get a nice small, streamlined helmet that doesn't lift off or feel heavy.

I don't give a fuck how it looks to other people (did you see the picture of me with my riding cap, that Buck posted (IMG:http://www.harleyshoptalk.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/hysterical.gif) ) . Comfort, and performance are what concerns me.

Now if I can find a decent half helmet, for a fair price, I'll probably have one sooner or later. Actually like the looks of the bikers choice skid lids, which I think go for less than $50.00.

Anyone have any experience with these helmets?

I used to be an avid mountain biker, and have a helmet for riding off road. Don't wear it at all for pavement riding or light trails....but I do ride more agressively and take more chances off roading when I have my helmet on than when riding lid-less.

+Quote Post
zip
post May 12 2006, 05:34 AM
Post #43

Group Icon

Member No.: 23
BIKE: FXDL Dyna Low Rider
MILES: - 30

QUOTE(deuce04 @ May 11 2006, 06:07 PM)
I say that is stupid statement (IMG:http://www.harleyshoptalk.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/confused.gif)

Is the concrete or asphalt softer off the "slab"??? (IMG:http://www.harleyshoptalk.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Not trying to be a dick but think about what you said.
We dont have helmet law in CT but I wear a skid lid all the time.

Actually we'll agree to disagree. I don't think it's stupid at all. It's a matter of traffic congestion and speed. On the country and off-highway roads there is generally less traffic and my speeds are lower. (although deer impact risk is higher) I look at it this way. I ride a bicycle without a helmet. I SKI without a helmet. Who's to say I couldn't pull a Sunny Bono and crack a tree at 35MPH while going down the slopes and hitting a patch of ice?? Plus...the chances of me slowing my bike down are greater. That being said...

On the SLAB my speeds are high and traffic is heavy. If I'm riding 80 and get into a "situation" I may only be able to slow the bike to 50 mph vs 20 on back roads. I'm just throwing out numbers here - please don't quote me. lol

That also being said...probably the greatest situation where a helmet will save you is on a slow sharp turn when you hit some gravel or oil - and the slingshot effect thrusts your head towards the ground...

So who the fuck knows....

I'm still up in the air about what I'll do long term.

Now...for what I think about non-DOT / novelty helmets. Why wear one at all?? (unless skirting a law) DOT is actually a very minimal helmet safety standard not adopted by the rest of the world. Sure your head may not be cut but your brain has nothing to help cushion the impact - preventing your brain from bouncing against your skull - this is a big part of helmet ratings.

Seahag - I've never used the Bikers Choice but I have used a Skid-Lid. I think they are similar and not too bad. There is a new DOT carbon fiber halfie out there now I'd like to try...but it's $140. (IMG:http://www.harleyshoptalk.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/confused.gif)

This post has been edited by zip: May 12 2006, 05:38 AM

+Quote Post
zip
post May 12 2006, 05:43 AM
Post #44

Group Icon

I'd like to try one na these...

DOT Carbon Fiber Helmet

+Quote Post
wholehog
post May 12 2006, 05:59 AM
Post #45

Group Icon

Member No.: 4

QUOTE(zip @ May 12 2006, 06:34 AM)
I SKI without a helmet. Who's to say I couldn't pull a Sunny Bono and crack a tree at 35MPH while going down the slopes and hitting a patch of ice??

ha, ha.....one of the Kennedy's done it too

+Quote Post
mlh
post May 12 2006, 08:13 AM
Post #46

Group: Members
Member No.: 315
BIKE: FLSTN Nostalgia and Softail Deluxe
MILES: not enough

Just to throw my 2 cents worth out there - -

I always wear a helmet and wouldn't have it any other way. It took some time to find the ONE that works best for you. My first one (a 3/4 helmet) was fine for being a passenger with Harley-YP. I caught less wind, so I never noticed the helmet was too big. When I moved to riding my own bike, wow did I have problems! I quickly learned to ride with only my right hand with my left hand pushing the helmet back down! Not good for a new rider! (IMG:http://www.harleyshoptalk.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/no.gif) So, I bought another one - - also a little too big & not much good protection (even though DOT approved). So . . . on to my current helmet - a 1/2 shell that is perfect.

I wear my seatbelt b/c it keeps me safer, and I wear a helmet for the same reason.

But like someone earlier said, when it's time for me to go, God's taking me whether I have the helmet on or not.

+Quote Post
karstman
post May 12 2006, 08:36 AM
Post #47

Group Icon

Member No.: 192
BIKE: FLTR Road Glide
YEAR: 2007
MILES: 1.618

your bike has a seatbelt? :)

+Quote Post
UH1H
post May 12 2006, 09:23 AM
Post #48

Group Icon

Member No.: 90
AKA:HST Supreme Commander, State of Missouri

QUOTE(karstman @ May 12 2006, 08:36 AM)
your bike has a seatbelt?  :)

I took mine off after I read this article. Besides, the picture below clearly shows that your ass hits first, not your head (click on thumbnail).

But why then are motorcycles not equipped with safety harnesses? Is this a gross oversight made by motorcyle manufacturers? Absolutely not! While no transportation accident is safe, it is the goal of the manufacturers of all roadway vehicles to produce a vehicle which maximizes the safety of its riders. In the case of a motorcyle, it is believed that the rider's saftey is maximized by not strapping the rider to the motorcycle. In a car accident, the safest place to be is in the car; yet in a motorcycle accident, the worst place to be is on the motorcycle. The reason? Cars are four-wheeled vehicles which have a stable platform capable of resisting sideways motion and resisting tipping over. As such, being strapped to the a car in an accident is an advantageous strategy for maximizing passenger safety. On the other hand, a motorcycle is a single-track vehicle (two wheels) which are prone to tipping over and sliding into and underneath the obstacles which they hit. Imagine being strapped to your motorcyle as you slide underneath a 2000-pound Buick. Being strapped to the motorcyle by a safety harness, you would share the fate of the motorcycle itself - being crushed by the 2000-pound Buick. Your chance of survival would be minimal. On the other hand, if you were to leave the motorcycle and be flung into the air, it is more likely that your hopeful impact with the ground would slowly alter your velocity as you skid to a stop over a lengthened period of time. Motorcycles are inherently dangerous vehicles; yet like all vehicles, manufacturers design them in a manner that maximizes rider safety. The omission of safety harnesses from motorcycles means that the motorcyclist does not share the same fate as the tipped over and skidding single-track vehicle.

This post has been edited by UH1H: May 12 2006, 09:24 AM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  mb.gif ( 32.97k ) Number of downloads: 31

+Quote Post
deuce04
post May 12 2006, 10:05 AM
Post #49

Group Icon

Member No.: 21
BIKE: FXSTDI Softail Deuce EFI
YEAR: 2004
MILES: 10

(IMG:http://www.harleyshoptalk.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/blush.gif)
Sorry Zip!!

Didnt mean to call you stupid

+Quote Post
esteban_cee
post May 12 2006, 10:12 AM
Post #50

Group Icon

Member No.: 146
BIKE: FLHX Street Glide

I wear mine probably 95% of the time. I wear a 3/4 with a face shield. The other day I took a 3" grasshopper to the face shield at 75 mph. What a fuckin' gooey mess. Better the face shield than my face, though. I think I'd wear one even without the additional crash safety. Seems like there's always something hitting the faceshield or helmet, rocks, bugs,...

Texas has kind of a strange helmet law. Over 21, you can ride without a helmet with proof of insurance or the MSF card. Your supposed to get a license plate sticker for proof. I have the only 2 stickers I've ever seen.

I've skied with a Helmet for about 5 years. They're probably 1/3 the weight of a motorcycle helmet. They also have a much better vent system than the motorcycle versions. That's my biggest beef with motorcycle helmets. In 100 degree heat, sitting in traffic, on top of that air cooled monster it's damned hot. (IMG:http://www.harleyshoptalk.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/pinch.gif)

+Quote Post
EZGlider
post May 12 2006, 11:03 AM
Post #51

Group Icon

Member No.: 29
YEAR: 2006
MILES: 25,000+
BIKE: FXDWG Dyna Wide Glide
MILES: Gone but not forgotten

"In 100 degree heat, sitting in traffic, on top of that air cooled monster it's damned hot. "

Of course, where I'm probably goin' if I get splattered on the road, HEAT is a relative thing! (IMG:http://www.harleyshoptalk.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/hysterical.gif)

+Quote Post
HDROADGLIDE
post May 12 2006, 11:07 AM
Post #52

Group Icon

Member No.: 47
AKA:Uses Thunderheaders on his bike AND in his shorts.
YEAR: 2002
MILES: NOT ENOUGH.
BIKE: FLSTN Nostalgia and Softail Deluxe
YEAR: 2008
MILES: 5,425

I'LL MAKE IT SHORT AND SWEET, I COULDNT THROW THAT FUCKER FAR ENOUGH FROM ME!!! I HATE EM!! (IMG:http://www.harleyshoptalk.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/whistling.gif)

+Quote Post
bone
post May 12 2006, 12:59 PM
Post #53

Member No.: 28
BIKE: FLSTCI Heritage Classic EFI

I have a good helmet, Arai Snell and DOT rated, and wear it all the time. TOO many stories like Snipers friend. Wear my jacket and boots too.

+Quote Post
karstman
post May 12 2006, 01:05 PM
Post #54

Group Icon

the only protection I wear is a thong.

+Quote Post
MIALMA
post May 12 2006, 01:07 PM
Post #55

Group Icon

Member No.: 3
BIKE: FLSTF Fat Boy
YEAR: 2001
MILES: 35k+
MILES: 40k

QUOTE(karstman @ May 12 2006, 02:05 PM)
the only protection I wear is a thong.

(IMG:http://www.harleyshoptalk.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/sick.gif)

+Quote Post
karstman
post May 12 2006, 01:12 PM
Post #56

Group Icon

but it is a classy thong. :)

+Quote Post
MIALMA
post May 12 2006, 01:27 PM
Post #57

Group Icon

ain't no way any dude wearin' a banana hammock is ever gonna be "classy"

+Quote Post
LoudnProud
post May 12 2006, 01:37 PM
Post #58

Group Icon

Member No.: 31
BIKE: FLSTCI Heritage Classic EFI
YEAR: 2003
MILES: 100100

QUOTE(MIALMA @ May 12 2006, 01:27 PM)
ain't no way any dude wearin' a banana hammock is ever gonna be "classy"

"banana hammock"

(IMG:http://www.harleyshoptalk.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/hysterical.gif) LMAO

Those are all Good Points, but whether you were a Helmet, or not when your # comes up there ain't shit you can do. I just read Madmechs post about the guy in Cali. that was killed in an accident with a cage, and the helmet came flyin off.

+Quote Post
Night Rider
post May 12 2006, 02:28 PM
Post #59

Group Icon

Member No.: 989
BIKE: FLHT Electra Glide Standard
MILES: 50000

I have a helmet collecting dust in the garage ...

Each time I read these types of threads I think that I should wear one ... and the next time I go out it is still in the garage...

I believe in the choice part on this

I wore a seat belt before it was the law ... The bike is my escape from order and regulations ... I suppose it would be different if I had kids ...

+Quote Post
wholehog
post May 12 2006, 02:33 PM
Post #60

Group Icon

Member No.: 4

QUOTE(Night Rider @ May 12 2006, 03:28 PM)
I wore a seat belt before it was the law ... The bike is my escape from order and regulations ... I suppose it would be different if I had kids ...

I'm just the opposite....no seatbelt for me

+Quote Post
badco_67
post May 13 2006, 02:05 PM
Post #61

Group Icon

Member No.: 840
BIKE: FLHRCI Road King Classic EFI
YEAR: 1999
MILES: 27000

QUOTE(Ordy @ May 11 2006, 07:59 PM)
Have gone down and it don't feel too good.

I'd wear it even if I didn't have to.

Ride Safe
Ordy

I never wore one....

Last year, I had someone not see me an push me off the road ...I kept it up ('91 FLSTC), but honestly, I don't know how after going through the gravel and ditch at 60 mph....my wife and kids were following me and saw it unfold....she was hysterical for awhile...

I pick up a couple of half helmet's for us. Now I wear it everyday back and forth to work and anywhere other than around town (we live in a small town)....the zip in liner also helps keeps the ears warm on chilly mornings... Also picked up a full face for the kids...

+Quote Post
Thorns
post May 13 2006, 02:43 PM
Post #62

Member No.: 217

It's your decision. I wear one. That's my decision, and my head.

Thorns

+Quote Post
zip
post May 13 2006, 11:03 PM
Post #63

Group Icon

QUOTE(deuce04 @ May 12 2006, 10:05 AM)
(IMG:http://www.harleyshoptalk.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/blush.gif)
Sorry Zip!!

Didnt mean to call you stupid

You didn't. You said my statement was stupid. Big difference.

I didn't take any offense to it anyway. It's all good d04. (IMG:http://www.harleyshoptalk.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif)

+Quote Post
zip
post May 13 2006, 11:06 PM
Post #64

Group Icon

Some interesting reading here bros...very interesting. (IMG:http://www.harleyshoptalk.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif)

+Quote Post
Grumpy
post May 14 2006, 12:05 AM
Post #65

Group Icon

Member No.: 38
MILES: 175,000

QUOTE(SeaHag @ May 11 2006, 11:06 PM)
Now if I can find a decent half helmet, for a fair price, I'll probably have one sooner or later.  Actually like the looks of the bikers choice skid lids, which I think go for less than $50.00. 

Anyone have any experience with these helmets?

I got mine from Jafrum http://www.jafrum.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.5/.f
Mine is the flat black/black flames.Took the visor off.Helmet is holding up great.Doesn't make you look mushroom head. Russ

+Quote Post
SeaHag
post May 14 2006, 07:15 AM
Post #66

Group Icon

QUOTE(madmech @ May 13 2006, 11:05 PM)
Mine is the flat black/black flames.Took the visor off.Helmet is holding up great.Doesn't make you look mushroom head. Russ

Hey Russ, thanks for the tip. (IMG:http://www.harleyshoptalk.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif) So you actually find these comfortable to wear too? Since my first post, I have done some research on the bikers choice skid lids and read too many bad reviews about the terrible fit and finish to consider them any longer.

With the price they are offering them at, and your endorsement, I'll be ordering one of these soon.

Clay

+Quote Post
MIALMA
post May 14 2006, 08:01 AM
Post #67

Group Icon

QUOTE(madmech @ May 14 2006, 01:05 AM)

i'd love to get a new one (got one of the those novelty helmets with big-ass crack in it, missing the outer helmet trim and 1/2 the liner!), but i defintely don't want one of those giant helmets that make you look like the Great Gazoo

(IMG:http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/6/64/Gazoo.jpg)

i like some of the small dot's i've seen online, but i'm concerned i'll order the thing and the sizing will be all f'd up ... wtih this new reference and awesome price, i'm definitely temepted to bite the bullet.
thanks madmech.

+Quote Post
Blackdeuce
post May 14 2006, 08:17 AM
Post #68

Group Icon

Member No.: 87
BIKE: FLHRS Road King Custom
MILES: -

QUOTE(madmech @ May 14 2006, 12:05 AM)

I have the black leather one from Jafrum. It fits great, and is quite comfortable. I tried some other more expensive ones in a bike shop, and they seemed too narrow. I must have a fat head. (IMG:http://www.harleyshoptalk.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
karstman
post May 14 2006, 08:21 AM
Post #69

Group Icon

QUOTE(Blackdeuce @ May 14 2006, 09:17 AM)
I have the black leather one from Jafrum.  It fits great, and is quite comfortable.  I tried some other more expensive ones in a bike shop, and they seemed too narrow.  I must have a fat head.  (IMG:http://www.harleyshoptalk.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

you wear a helmet driving the mini van? I bet that looks silly. (IMG:http://www.harleyshoptalk.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
EZGlider
post May 14 2006, 08:46 AM
Post #70

Group Icon

Member No.: 29
MILES: 25,000+
MILES: Gone but not forgotten

Having seen some of you folks, full face helmets would be a kindness! (IMG:http://www.harleyshoptalk.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/hysterical.gif)

+Quote Post
UH1H
post May 14 2006, 08:54 AM
Post #71

Group Icon

Member No.: 90
AKA:HST Supreme Commander, State of Missouri

QUOTE(karstman @ May 14 2006, 08:21 AM)
you wear a helmet driving the mini van?  I bet that looks silly. (IMG:http://www.harleyshoptalk.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Cut BD some slack. It is rather stylish.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  bargainpricewholesale_1886_22589639.jpg ( 12.29k ) Number of downloads: 0

+Quote Post
Blackdeuce
post May 14 2006, 08:57 AM
Post #72

Group Icon

QUOTE(karstman @ May 14 2006, 08:21 AM)
you wear a helmet driving the mini van?  I bet that looks silly. (IMG:http://www.harleyshoptalk.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Hey, man. I got three boys. There could be shit flying everywhere in that van. Can't be too safe ya know. Cocksucker. (IMG:http://www.harleyshoptalk.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/hysterical.gif)

+Quote Post
Blackdeuce
post May 14 2006, 08:59 AM
Post #73

Group Icon

QUOTE(UH1H @ May 14 2006, 08:54 AM)
Cut BD some slack. It is rather stylish.

Is that your helmet, UH1H? Looks like it's made from an elephant scrotum. You should have left the pubic hairs on it. (IMG:http://www.harleyshoptalk.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
Jarhead
post Apr 4 2011, 07:09 PM
Post #74

Member No.: 5,524
BIKE: FLHX Street Glide
YEAR: 2015
MILES: Yes

I live in Texas were there are no requirements for anyone over 21 to wear a helmet. I choose to wear one for several reasons.
First I promised my wife when I dropped 20g of both of our money to buy my bike that I would.
2nd I spent many years as a volunteer Firefighter/EMT and have seen countless bike accidents and I know there would be fewer fatalitys if all the riders were wearing a helmet.
And last I take my wife and other friends and family on the bike and I would never let them ride without proper protection so why should I.

No judgement on those who do not, Just my choice

+Quote Post
Wildchild
post Apr 5 2011, 12:09 AM
Post #75

Group Icon

Member No.: 2,527
BIKE: XLH883 Sportster 883 Hugger
MILES: 138,000
BIKE: XLH883 Sportster 883 Hugger
MILES: See above

Of course you all know I am freedom of choice. The less government intervention in the way we ride, the better. I choose not to wear one, and feel very comfortable with that choice. Yes, I have been in an accident while still on the back of his. Low speed accident, in town, no helmet, no injury. He was not so lucky. He ended up with knee surgery. Guess he should have had a suit of armor on, that way he is fully protected. This article is interesting, I remember hearing the stats mentioned way back when.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/...view/index.html

To talk about helmet design and performance with any measure of authority, we should first look at the kinds of accidents that actually occur. The Hurt Report, issued in '81, was the first, last and only serious study on real motorcycle accidents in the U.S. The study was done by some very smart, very reputable scientists and researchers at the University of Southern California. The Hurt researchers came to some surprising and illuminating conclusions—conclusions that have not been seriously challenged since.

First, about half of all serious motorcycle accidents happen when a car pulls in front of a bike in traffic. These accidents typically happen at very low speeds, with a typical impact velocity, after all the braking and skidding, below 25 mph. This was first revealed in the Hurt Report but has been recently backed up by two other studies, a similar one in Thailand and especially the COST 327 study done in the European Union, where people have fast bikes and like to ride very quickly on some roads with no speed limits at all.

Actual crash speeds are slow, but the damage isn't. These are serious, often fatal crashes. Most of these crashes happen very close to home. Because no matter where you go, you always leave your own neighborhood and come back to it. And making it through traffic-filled intersections—the ones near your home—is the most dangerous thing you do on a street motorcycle.

The next-biggest group of typical accidents happens at night, often on a weekend, at higher speeds. They are much more likely to involve alcohol, and often take place when a rider goes off the road alone. These two groups of accidents account for almost 75 percent of all serious crashes. So the accident we are most afraid of, and the one we tend to buy our helmets for—crashing at high speeds, out sport riding—is relatively rare.

Even though many motorcycles were capable of running the quarter-mile in 11 seconds (or less) and topping 140 mph back in '81, not one of the 900-odd accidents investigated in the Hurt study involved a speed over 100 mph. The "one in a thousand" speed seen in the Hurt Report was 86 mph, meaning only one of the accidents seen in the 900-crash study occurred at or above that speed. And the COST 327 study, done recently in the land of the autobahn, contained very few crashes over 120 kph, or 75 mph. The big lesson here is this: It's a mistake to assume that going really fast causes a significant number of accidents just because a motorcycle can go really fast.

Another eye-opener: In spite of what one might assume, the speed at which an accident starts does not necessarily correlate to the impact the head—or helmet—will have to absorb in a crash. That is, according to the Hurt Report and the similar Thailand study, going faster when you fall off does not typically result in your helmet taking a harder hit.

How can this be? Because the vast majority of head impacts occur when the rider falls off his bike and simply hits his head on the flat road surface. The biggest impact in a given crash will typically happen on that first contact, and the energy is proportional to the height from which the rider falls—not his forward speed at the time. A big highside may give a rider some extra altitude, but rarely higher than 8 feet. A high-speed crash may involve a lot of sliding along the ground, but this is not particularly challenging to a helmeted head because all modern full-face helmets do an excellent job of protecting you from abrasion.

In fact, the vast majority of crashed helmets examined in the Hurt Report showed that they had absorbed about the same impact you'd receive if you simply tipped over while standing, like a bowling pin, and hit your head on the pavement. Ninety-plus percent of the head impacts surveyed, in fact, were equal to or less than the force involved in a 7-foot drop. And 99 percent of the impacts were at or below the energy of a 10-foot drop.

This post has been edited by Wildchild: Apr 5 2011, 12:11 AM

+Quote Post
TxGecko
post Apr 5 2011, 07:14 AM
Post #76

Group Icon

Member No.: 3,732
BIKE: FLHTCU Ultra Classic Electra Glide
YEAR: 2011
MILES: 16, 500

I like riding without the helmet and have on rare occasion. But I do wear one as a matter of choice, lost a few friends that if they had a helmet on might still be here. Again a matter of choice to each and every rider.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  gecko.jpg ( 12.16k ) Number of downloads: 0

+Quote Post
Fgowi
post Apr 5 2011, 09:03 AM
Post #77

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,095
BIKE: FLTRSEI Screamin Eagle Road Glide
MILES: 70,000
BIKE: ***** BAGGERS *****
YEAR: 1111
MILES: 1

Good read, Kim.

I've always heard, and believed, that a helmet, especially full face, can promote neck injuries. It seems logical.

Personally, I'd rather have a head injury and be unaware of it than have a neck injury and be aware of it. T's cousin's husband crashed a bike. He is technically a "quad" but has movement in his arms. Don't ask me how that works but I did say "technically". I think it's where and how he was broken and, miraculously, he has movement above his waste.

Anyway, point is, he's attempted suicide a coupld times. I think he's over that now but still...

Agree TXGecko... PERSONAL CHOICE!!

+Quote Post
deuce04
post Apr 5 2011, 09:24 AM
Post #78

Group Icon

Member No.: 21
MILES: 10

You can argue the Do's and Dont's all day but the bottom line is that they help in a crash.
Should it be mandatory to wear one? I say NO!

The way our society is going under the bleeding hearts that try and run this country it will be a law.
Especially with the new health care laws coming into effect. It will also effect other forms of personal freedoms AKA Skiing,watersking,Snowmobiles ETC anything with an inherent danger.

+Quote Post
zip
post Apr 5 2011, 02:20 PM
Post #79

Group Icon

QUOTE(HDROADGLIDE @ May 12 2006, 12:07 PM) *
I'LL MAKE IT SHORT AND SWEET, I COULDNT THROW THAT FUCKER FAR ENOUGH FROM ME!!! I HATE EM!! (IMG:http://www.harleyshoptalk.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/whistling.gif)

Reading through this thread makes me really miss Joey G...AND HIS ALL CAPITAL LETTERS!!! (IMG:http://www.harleyshoptalk.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
sarge431
post Apr 5 2011, 03:39 PM
Post #80

Member No.: 5,440
BIKE: FXDX Dyna Super Glide Sport
YEAR: 1999
MILES: 32000

Well...over here it's mandatory...and having been to numerous road traffic accidents, I have to agree. Was at one where the guy had bought a cheap helmet from fleabay...basically just a toy helmet. He fell off at under 45 mph. When his helmet touched down it split into a hundred bits...he continued to roll along the pavement. The next contact was his head with a fencepost which resulted in his death. Had his helmet still been intact and quality, he would have picked himself up..dusted himself down and got back on his bike...which was undamaged.
Best open-facer.....Davida jet....you can even get it in the Captain America paint job. But it's £250...whichI thinkis about $400. Leather lined and no need for earplugs.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  1001_1093_80543ret1web.jpg ( 11.58k ) Number of downloads: 0

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd June 2017 - 10:27 PM
Harley Shop Talk Established 05/05/05
Painting By: Dave Barnhouse / Hadley House Publishing, All Rights Reserved
HARLEY SHOP TALK IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH HARLEY-DAVIDSON®, INC.
HARLEY SHOP TALK: IF WE AIN'T TALKIN' HARLEYS, WE'RE TALKIN' $#*%!