DaBear1950
post Jul 13 2015, 10:56 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,461
BIKE: FLHTCUI Ultra Classic Electra Glide EFI
YEAR: 2005
MILES: 16000+

I have been having my speedo jump around sometimes when I am cruising 55-65 mph. It will go to zero then go back to speed. The other day the check engine and alarm light took turns going on and off when the speedo was acting up. I decided to return it to where I bought since I bought the warranty.I bought it May 3rd. It is not a Harley dealer.When I called to get an appt. the guy told me to go ahead and ride it in even though the check engine light was on. So at 2pm today I rode it in on the freeway to Wichita 20 miles away.The heat index was 109. When I pulled off the highway to go to the dealer I got caught by a really long red light. As I sat there I watched the oil pressure drop to zero. I watched it go up when I took off but after I got there and shut down it sat for maybe 3 minutes as I looked for the manager to show him the gauge.When I hit the start button a big,blue cloud of smoke shot out of the air cleaner.It started ok so I rode it in the garage. Do I have a serious problem with no oil pressure at idle? The manager said "it is just hot" and the problem was probably the voltage regulator.What do you guys think? I am new to Harley's.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SeaHag
post Jul 14 2015, 02:41 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: BOTM Winner's Circle
Member No.: 224
AKA:Dragon Slayer
BIKE: FLTRI Road Glide EFI
YEAR: 2005
MILES: 47,000 +

Harley's of your vintage do have some notoriously low oil pressures at idle when hot. In more recent years improvements have been made to boost the oil pump output. For bike's like ours there is the Baisley oil pressure spring. http://www.baisley.com/oil_spring_product.htm

Many HD riders do not bother with this item and get by alright; but like you I was concerned about the practically non-registering oil pressure at stop lights....especially since I had thousands of dollars of motor work to protect. So since I was in replacing cams anyway, I bought the spring and installed it. Now hot idle pressures are around 16psi and at speed they run about 35 psi.

The higher oil pressure does a better job of keeping your lifters pumped up which can have the effect of quieting valve train lash as well; which is a nice side benefit.

+Quote Post
wholehog
post Jul 14 2015, 12:52 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Group: BOTM Winner's Circle
Member No.: 4

you cant rely on the pressure guage in the dash....yes pressure will be low at idle....the only true reading is to hook up an accurate guage at the sender port and run it

the other lights sounds like an electrical connecor problem in the wiring harness somewhere

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th December 2017 - 03:34 PM
Harley Shop Talk Established 05/05/05
Painting By: Dave Barnhouse / Hadley House Publishing, All Rights Reserved
HARLEY SHOP TALK IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH HARLEY-DAVIDSON®, INC.
HARLEY SHOP TALK: IF WE AIN'T TALKIN' HARLEYS, WE'RE TALKIN' $#*%!