Eagle Post and P...
post Apr 10 2016, 12:26 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,716
BIKE: XLCH 4-Speed Sportster, Kick start
YEAR: 1974
MILES: ????

Hello Folks, I'm looking for a few good pointers or a good starting point for a project that has kind of landed on me. A friend of mine just bought his first Harley 1974 XLCH Kickstart sportster. This guy works for me at my post and pole mill and is really a good guy, made some bad choices in life that have made things hard for him but he's starting to straighten things out.
He bought the bike unseen and when it got here it looked like somebody had a drunken rattle can party, painted everything flat black including the lights a real shame. The bike was a bit of a monster to get started, but it's old and has a few little tricks to it that can be tuned out and adapted to not a big deal. He rode it 7 miles back out to the mill with me following him and the rear cylinder smoked like a tank the entire way particularly on acceleration, not good at all. Now it went from fun in the sun to a project in my shop, where do I start with it. Pull motor, pull off rocker boxes and heads, check valves and seats and continue on down from there?? He's on a budget and in a hurry of course, sunny days in Montana are limited and he doesn't want to spend them with it in pieces. Can't hear any clicks or clunks but of course with an old V-twin with straight pipes ya don't hear much of anything but exhaust. Front cylinder seems fine, but should go through both while we've got it out.
Am I headed in the right direction?? Any hints, tips, tricks, or ideas that would help out would be greatly appreciated. I've never worked on a Harley before, 2 strokes and V-8's but never a Harley. It should be interesting and fun, I'm just looking for a little direction and maybe pick a few folks brains for some acquired knowledge. Thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Blackcloud
post Apr 10 2016, 06:43 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: BOTM Winner's Circle
Member No.: 1,370
BIKE: FLHTCUI Ultra Classic Electra Glide EFI
YEAR: 2009
MILES: 20,000
MILES: 50,500

Welcome to HST. I can't help you. I don't know how to work on them. But there are a few here who do and should be able to tell you something.

+Quote Post
Ordy
post Apr 10 2016, 07:09 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 24
BIKE: FLHTI Electra Glide Standard EFI
YEAR: 2006
MILES: 22,400
BIKE: FLHTI Electra Glide Standard EFI
YEAR: 2006
MILES: 22,400

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/stupid.gif)

Smoking cylinders are a little above my pay grade too but BC's right. Keep checking in. More knowledgable minds than me can steer you in the right direction.

welcome to HST.

BTW: Looking on eBay the official Harley Service Manual for that bike runs around $100 but the Haynes and Clymer service manuals run around $35. If you're going to work on the jugs you might consider picking up one of the service manuals. I prefer Harley's but you may get by with Clymer or Haynes.

Ride safe
ORdy

+Quote Post
Fgowi
post Apr 10 2016, 09:09 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,095
BIKE: FLTRSEI Screamin Eagle Road Glide
YEAR: 2001
MILES: 70,000
BIKE: ***** BAGGERS *****
YEAR: 1111
MILES: 1

It's good you're helping an employee. Good on ya'.

In my mind it's likely it needs to be gone through. I'd start with a compression/bleed down test. You (he) really could be in a high dollar adventure both mechanically and cosmetically.

Hate to say, but it probably needs to be a labor of love. Very hard to NOT get upside down financially on it. Not sure what it's worth but he'll put more than that in it to get it mechanically/cosmetically right, I'm betting.

Good Luck

+Quote Post
Eagle Post and P...
post Apr 10 2016, 10:01 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 7,716
BIKE: XLCH 4-Speed Sportster, Kick start
YEAR: 1974
MILES: ????

Yes it will be a labor of love for him I'm sure. For me it's a matter of keeping him from losing hope and leaving it sit. I have over 10 years of autobody experience in the past, it was what I went to vocational school for at Wyo Tech, so the cosmetic I find as a personal challenge and have no doubt we can bring the old girl back around in that aspect. A Harley engine I've never cracked open ( about everything else but not a Harley) I actually think it's going to be fun.

+Quote Post
Dale3r
post Apr 10 2016, 11:13 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 7,497
YEAR: 1989
MILES: 18000

It will be a fun project old Sportys are alot of fun. My best advice is get a manual before you start taking it apart, as said in above post do a compression check its a good starting point. These are easy engines to work on and most special tools you can make yourself, ask alot of questions only dumb one is the one you dont ask. Dale

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th December 2017 - 03:37 PM
Harley Shop Talk Established 05/05/05
Painting By: Dave Barnhouse / Hadley House Publishing, All Rights Reserved
HARLEY SHOP TALK IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH HARLEY-DAVIDSON®, INC.
HARLEY SHOP TALK: IF WE AIN'T TALKIN' HARLEYS, WE'RE TALKIN' $#*%!