wlker-bait
post Jan 29 2017, 08:31 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,941
BIKE: FXDL Dyna Low Rider
YEAR: 1995
MILES: 35000

ahh where to begin?? first hello everybody . i have a 1995 fxdl low rider with an oil problem. i'm not understanding why i'm not getting oil from the tank to the oil pump. my dumb ass took the motor apart 2 yrs ago to repaint it and i did something wrong in reassembly.when it wasn't right i let it sit 2 yrs. just keep getting put back on priorities. i want my ground pounder back.
in the process i replaced the lower hose ( bottom of tank to low pressure side of oil filter lines). and both cover hoses and replaced the oil pump gaskets because of a small leak between the pump body and motor. the H/D repair manual says its a gravity feed, that's fine if the fxdl had a horse shoe tank tucked under the seat. low rider doesn't. there are 3 hoses - 1 in the bottom of the tank. and two in the top cover ones the air breather and the other is the pump feed. supposedly gravity feed. how is this? do i have the hoses right? can not find a pic of where the hose run. should the bottom tank hose be feeding the pump and the cover hose be the return? someone please help.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wholehog
post Jan 30 2017, 02:55 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: BOTM Winner's Circle
Member No.: 4

welcome....don't know the specific answer but the tank needs to be venting for oil flow.....

verify for any check valves....

if the feed enters the top of tank, the hose needs to continue to the bottom of the tank.....think of siphoning gas out of a tank.....as long as the hose outlet is below the hose inlet it will draw

there are online parts diagrams at ronnies ===> http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/ro...l.asp?make=hdmc

good luck
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th December 2017 - 03:32 PM
Harley Shop Talk Established 05/05/05
Painting By: Dave Barnhouse / Hadley House Publishing, All Rights Reserved
HARLEY SHOP TALK IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH HARLEY-DAVIDSON®, INC.
HARLEY SHOP TALK: IF WE AIN'T TALKIN' HARLEYS, WE'RE TALKIN' $#*%!