HARLEY SHOP TALK

Often Imitated, Never Duplicated

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> pad pin removal, what kinda socket does it take?
Blackdeuce
post Mar 25 2007, 08:46 AM
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: BOTM Winner's Circle
Member No.: 87
BIKE: FLHRS Road King Custom
YEAR: 2006
MILES: -

Bought new polished rotors and organic pads for the front of my 2004 Road King. I've never replaced a set of brake pads, but it doesn't look too difficult.

I bought a service manual yesterday, but it doesn't say what the socket size is for the pad pins. I asked the parts guy at the HD shop what the socket size is and he didn't know. A 12-sided 10mm wrench kinda fits, but I don't want to fuck up the head of the bolt.

Is there a special socket for this?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MNHOG
post Mar 25 2007, 09:31 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Member No.: 515
BIKE: FLHRCI Road King Classic EFI
YEAR: 2008
MILES: 30K

12 point 1/4.

+Quote Post
Buck
post Mar 25 2007, 09:59 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 55
YEAR: 2004
MILES: 49800

QUOTE(Blackdeuce @ Mar 25 2007, 08:46 AM)
  I asked the parts guy at the HD shop what the socket size is and he didn't know.  .

you gotta be shittin' me.........now that's lame. (IMG:http://www.harleyshoptalk.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/down.gif)

careful pushin the old pads back in before removal, but then I guess if you're puttin new rotors on it don't matter. Most use a thin putty knife, but I've found a tapered builders shim works well and doesn't scratch anything.

+Quote Post
HDROADGLIDE
post Mar 25 2007, 10:07 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 47
AKA:Uses Thunderheaders on his bike AND in his shorts.
BIKE: FLTR Road Glide
YEAR: 2002
MILES: NOT ENOUGH.
BIKE: FLSTN Nostalgia and Softail Deluxe
YEAR: 2008
MILES: 5,425

USE A 12 POINT SOCKET ON IT STEVE!! ITS A LOT EASIER!! WHEN INSTALLING THE PADS PUT OUTER PAD UP AND IN PLACE AND PUSH THE PINS IN ENOUGH TO HOLD EM, THEN PUT THE INNER PAD UP AND IN AND PUSH PIN ONE ATTA TIME IN AND SCREW EM ON ONLY A COUPL A THREADS, THEN GET THE OTHER PIN IN AND STARTED. THEN TIGHTEN EM BOTH UP AND PUMP YOUR BRAKES UP SOES THE PADS TOUCH THE ROTORS BEFORE YA RIDE. (IMG:http://www.harleyshoptalk.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/bike.gif)

+Quote Post
Blackdeuce
post Mar 25 2007, 10:34 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

Thanks for the feedback!

Buck - my pads are probably fine on the RK, but I wanted something that might not be as hard on the new polished rotors. I had Lyndall pads put on my Deuce, but this time I went with a pad that my brother recommended. He's used them on his bikes and has had good luck (he currently has 12 bikes, and he knows his shit about motorcycles). They should be fine, and the price was good.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...96786300&rd=1,1

+Quote Post
Buck
post Mar 25 2007, 11:27 AM
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 55
MILES: 49800

QUOTE(Blackdeuce @ Mar 25 2007, 10:34 AM)
Buck - my pads are probably fine on the RK, but I wanted something that might not be as hard on the new polished rotors. 
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...96786300&rd=1,1

I hear you bro......besides they take forever to wear out with dual front disks. I recommend you look closely at the rear pads and consider changing them as well. Most fair weather riders tend to use the rear brake much more than the front and iffin they're Harley stock pads, they will be gone in 10,000 miles.

+Quote Post
Blackdeuce
post Mar 25 2007, 12:09 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

QUOTE(Buck @ Mar 25 2007, 11:27 AM)
I hear you bro......besides they take forever to wear out with dual front disks. I recommend you look closely at the rear pads and consider changing them as well. Most fair weather riders tend to use the rear brake much more than the front and iffin they're  Harley stock pads, they will be gone in 10,000 miles.

I'll take a peek at the back pads, but with 4,700 miles, they should be o.k. With the hard bags, you can't hardly see the back rotor, so I'm not replacing it.

+Quote Post
JIMMYZ
post Mar 25 2007, 03:52 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 329
BIKE: FLHRC Road King Classic
MILES: 90000

I took a 12 point 1/4 in socket and put it on a grinder and made it thinner. I"m sure there is a special one just for this. JimmyZ

+Quote Post
wholehog
post Mar 25 2007, 04:49 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

Member No.: 4

nothing special....just use a 1/4" drive socket and you won't need to thin out the wall

+Quote Post
Blackdeuce
post Mar 25 2007, 08:43 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

Got it done. To remove the pad pin, it was a 12-point 1/4" socket. I was putting the 10mm socket on the bolts that hold the caliper to the fork. The 10mm socket did work for that.

It wasn't too bad except it was a little tricky getting the caliper off of the rotor. There isn't quite enough room to take the caliper off without hitting the fender, and you can't get the wheel off without removing the caliper (the tire is too fat to fit between the calipers). So, I blocked up the front tire, removed the axle, and rolled the front tire forward enough to get the calipers off. Did the reverse to get it back together.

Looks real good and the front brakes work good. Now if I can get the squeak out of the back brake. Maybe it just need to be used a bit after sitting for quite a spell. The owner only rode it about 1,400 miles in the last two years (hardly at all last year).

+Quote Post
Blackdeuce
post Mar 25 2007, 08:51 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

Can't see the rotors very well in this picture, but they're on. I turned the resolution way down on my camera thinking it would help with posting pictures, but I turned it down too much.

Attached File  Road_King_3.jpg ( 60.08k ) Number of downloads: 13

+Quote Post
92Flstf
post Mar 26 2007, 06:45 PM
Post #12

Group Icon

Member No.: 128
BIKE: FLSTF Fat Boy
YEAR: 1992
MILES: 22000
BIKE: FLSTF Fat Boy
YEAR: 1992
MILES: 22000

I've had a rear brake squeak for years on my FB. I finally used some silicone caliper pin lube from AutoZone. Like a buck or so at the counter in a little ketchup pack. Give it a try. HTH!

+Quote Post
Blackdeuce
post Mar 26 2007, 07:09 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

QUOTE(92Flstf @ Mar 26 2007, 06:45 PM)
I've had a rear brake squeak for years on my FB.  I finally used some silicone caliper pin lube from AutoZone.  Like a buck or so at the counter in a little ketchup pack.  Give it a try.  HTH!

Hey, thanks for the idea. Do you remove the pad pins in order to apply the lube?

+Quote Post
Azhardan
post Mar 26 2007, 07:13 PM
Post #14

Group Icon

Member No.: 715

QUOTE(Blackdeuce @ Mar 26 2007, 05:09 PM)
Hey, thanks for the idea.  Do you remove the pad pins in order to apply the lube?

Ya put it a syringe and inject it for the best effectiveness. (IMG:http://www.harleyshoptalk.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/whistling.gif)

+Quote Post
Blackdeuce
post Mar 26 2007, 07:18 PM
Post #15

Group Icon

QUOTE(Azhardan @ Mar 26 2007, 07:13 PM)
Ya put it a syringe and inject it for the best effectiveness.    (IMG:http://www.harleyshoptalk.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/whistling.gif)

I guess I asked a stupid question, huh? I don't know how you would get the lube on the pins without removing them, but a peek behind the saddlebags showed me that the rear caliper is different than the fronts. Probably similar, but bigger.

+Quote Post
deuce04
post Mar 26 2007, 07:43 PM
Post #16

Group Icon

Member No.: 21
BIKE: FXSTDI Softail Deuce EFI
MILES: 10
BIKE: FXSTDI Softail Deuce EFI

QUOTE(Blackdeuce @ Mar 25 2007, 09:51 PM)
Can't see the rotors very well in this picture, but they're on.  I turned the resolution way down on my camera thinking it would help with posting pictures, but I turned it down too much. 

Attached File  Road_King_3.jpg ( 60.08k ) Number of downloads: 13

Did ya ever think of bending down to take the pic so we could see the fuckin rotor?

Corncob,anal injecting,dickhead (IMG:http://www.harleyshoptalk.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/bike.gif)

+Quote Post
Blackdeuce
post Mar 26 2007, 08:24 PM
Post #17

Group Icon

QUOTE(deuce04 @ Mar 26 2007, 07:43 PM)
Did ya ever think of bending down to take the pic so we could see the fuckin rotor?

Corncob,anal injecting,dickhead (IMG:http://www.harleyshoptalk.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/bike.gif)

Thanks for all of the nice adjectives. Bitch. (IMG:http://www.harleyshoptalk.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/hysterical.gif)

My family was in a big fucking hurry to go eat supper, so I took the bike for a quick spin, and snapped a couple of pictures. Plus, I suck as a photographer.

Below is the pic from the eBay listing. They are highly polished, and no defects that I can find. I was very pleased with them.

Attached File  rotors.jpg ( 18.85k ) Number of downloads: 1

+Quote Post
Blackdeuce
post Mar 31 2007, 03:15 PM
Post #18

Group Icon

QUOTE(92Flstf @ Mar 26 2007, 06:45 PM)
I've had a rear brake squeak for years on my FB.  I finally used some silicone caliper pin lube from AutoZone.  Like a buck or so at the counter in a little ketchup pack.  Give it a try.  HTH!

It works! Picked up the lube last night and lubed the pins today. The guy at AutoZone suggested using a little steel wool on the pins, so I cleaned the gunk off of the pins, used a little steel wool, and put the lube on the pins (the shit looks like Vasoline). Went for a short ride and no more squeak!!!

I removed the pins one at a time so that the pads didn't come out. It worked well.

Thanks for the suggestion! I thought I might need new pads. (IMG:http://www.harleyshoptalk.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd October 2014 - 03:22 AM
Harley Shop Talk Established 05/05/05
Painting By: Dave Barnhouse / Hadley House Publishing, All Rights Reserved
HARLEY SHOP TALK IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH HARLEY-DAVIDSON®, INC.
HARLEY SHOP TALK: IF WE AIN'T TALKIN' HARLEYS, WE'RE TALKIN' $#*%!